What did we learn-Fresno St edition

JJ Husker

1. The RBs are legit and our offensive line is very good

2. Even with the wealth of talent at wrs, we are limited by Armstrong, even against FS.

3. FS is a class act for declining the penalty.

4. Our defense isn't good, unless you think stopping the run at all costs is good. We make freshman qbs and their back ups look good.

5. Many at HB think this team is better then it is. FS' defense is bad, and made us look better then we are. The problems last year weren't with the run. They were with the passing and Tommy's decision making (on offense), which will be essential when we are long on 2nd or 3th downs. I get that the coaches only want to do stuff that Tommy is good at, but that will allow defenses to focus on that stuff.

6. They need to apply the targeting rule so that it only applies to cheap shots and not incidental head shots.

7. The team was emotional and was clearly effected by the loss of 27.

8. Riley doesn't adjust his game plan depending on which recruits are there, even when we're up enough that it doesn't matter.

Pros:

-DPE is still shaking the rust off, but I pray he does and takes over for Westerkamp on punt returns. Westy is just a fair catch machine and no real threat to break like DPE.

I'm not sure what you expected Westy to do. The punts were short and awful, and our strategy was to block literally no one! Jordan would have died last night if he tried to return any of those punts.
I see our full-time ST coach is going with the Pelini don't block anyone and just stand around while one guy tries to catch it staring down 9 guys strategy.

Bold move, Cotton.

I am so disappointed that we lost. I really thought a ball-control running offense with some well timed passes would be the way to go. When I saw our starting RB running with his head down and no hesitation, I thought he'd finally turned a corner and would be much more effective against tougher defenses. Then our second string RB came in looking like a runaway bull and it looked like the defenders were afraid to get in front of him. You'd think this style of play would make it much easier for us to avoid turnovers and control the clock, but silly me.....I guess sitting in the pocket flinging passes around is the only logical way to go these days??

​On the defensive side, at first I was pleased that we were calling random blitzes from different areas to hurry their QB who seemed to throw it into the stands as much as he threw to his receivers. We also contained the run pretty good, making them one dimensional........but it was all a ruse and we soon fell into their trap. Boy, did they see us coming! About the only thing that really gave us any chance at all in this fiasco was our DB's ability to see the ball with the back of his head and having plenty of time to make the tackle by playing 5 yards behind the receiver.

​Well, you can't have everything. I hear the volleyball team is supposed to be good this year. GOOOOO BIIIIIG REEEEEED.......GO BIG RED!

• Fire 2

Most of the positives and negatives have been covered already.

I hope we see significant improvement from game 1 to game 2 especially in special teams play, penalty reductions and pass defense. I agree with some posters that the pass defense might have been impacted by not knowing what Fresno State was going to do and that Jackson got abused a lot being a true frosh out there. I think we adjusted nicely in the second half which is a good sign that this coaching staff can make changes on the fly unlike the previous regime.

Wyoming won their first game against N. Illinois in triple OT. It will give them some confidence heading into Lincoln next week. Wyoming and Bohl won't be intimidated by us. I haven't looked at their roster, but typically you will see a lot of Nebraska kids who will have something to prove. They will be an upgrade from Fresno and will play us tough IMO.

The next game should give us a better glimpse on what the season will offer us. I'm hoping we don't have to be on edge for 3 quarters before we pull ahead and win. That will not bode well for the Oregon game.

Our fan base sees what it wants to see in Terrell Newby. I really don't get it. Yes, Ozigbo is really tough and runs hard. But Newby probably had more yards after contact than in any other game is of his career. He ran hard and found holes.

Our offensive line played well in the first quarter for the most part, but then was barely average in the 2nd. They then stepped it up a bit in the third, and the 4th was good as well.

Our rush defense just showed a lot of effort, intensity, and flying to the ball.

We're miles ahead of where we ended lasted year but still have some work to do.

Might as well just accept that guys are going to get penalized and ejected for playing the game correctly.

Finally got some 2nd and 3rd team players game experience, the way we want to.

Ozigbo runs hard and we've got Tre Bryant for a long time, and that looks to be a very good thing.

We have a long, long way to go!

Who was the last freshman to start at corner in game one? I would think it is extremely difficult to adjust to the speed of the college game for corners in particular

Ralph Brown is the only true frosh corner that I can remember starting his first game. But did Lamar Jackson actually start the game?

I don't mind a flag for incidental contact to the head- much like 5 yard facemasks, but to get suspended for a half? thats over the top

5 yard facemask penalty could removed a few years back - only 15 yarders now. But I agree, there needs to be a non-ejection version of the targeting rule or far fewer of them should be called.

Who was the last freshman to start at corner in game one? I would think it is extremely difficult to adjust to the speed of the college game for corners in particular

Ralph Brown is the only true frosh corner that I can remember starting his first game. But did Lamar Jackson actually start the game?

I don't mind a flag for incidental contact to the head- much like 5 yard facemasks, but to get suspended for a half? thats over the top

5 yard facemask penalty could removed a few years back - only 15 yarders now. But I agree, there needs to be a non-ejection version of the targeting rule or far fewer of them should be called.

and helmets stick out past shoulder pads. Even if you are leading with your shoulder your helmet may accidentally touch another helmet. Is the thinking that you should have your hands up and the first contact should be with the hands?

and helmets stick out past shoulder pads. Even if you are leading with your shoulder your helmet may accidentally touch another helmet. Is the thinking that you should have your hands up and the first contact should be with the hands?

I think Gifford did lead with his hands. Anybody have a link to that hit?

1. We have plenty of Rbs

If we stay conservative on offense we could finish the year with a positive turnover ratio

Special teams sucks

TA trows a 5 yard pass with the same velocity as a 50 yard pass. I do not know how MR can implement the short pass game with TA

I know MR wants to redshirt POB, but I would like to see a QB on the roster with some Husker game experience next year

Our fan base sees what it wants to see in Terrell Newby. I really don't get it. Yes, Ozigbo is really tough and runs hard. But Newby probably had more yards after contact than in any other game is of his career. He ran hard and found holes.

Our offensive line played well in the first quarter for the most part, but then was barely average in the 2nd. They then stepped it up a bit in the third, and the 4th was good as well.

Our rush defense just showed a lot of effort, intensity, and flying to the ball.

Agree with you on the backs. Ozigbo is a tough runner but I thought Newby looked as good as he ever has. Definitely a spot for both of them.

Ozigbo gets the crowd buzzing with his tough runs but I actually thought he looked more like Cross this year than last year - he moves the pile so it takes more than one guy to get him down but he didn't make the first man miss very much. Ozigbo's stats were a little better but he also benefited from being in the game on a couple plays that were simply blocked really well. For example, on his longest run of the night he didn't have to do anything but run straight ahead. He got good yardage but the first guy he got to tackled him. Just a little juke to the outside and he might have been gone.

Newby on the other hand I thought did a much better job of wiggling out of a tight spot. One play I think he jumped over someone then slid around the next guy for a nice gain. There was also a play where he got hit as soon as he got the ball but got away from that guy and turned a three yard loss into getting back to the line. In my book, that was a much better job of running that Ozigbo's long run but he got credit for no yards while Ozigbo got 17 without having to do much of anything.

I'm not trying to run Ozigbo down. I liked what I saw out of him as well. I think they're both good back and there will be a spot for both of them.

• Fire 1

• I thought all the RB's looked good. Both in person, and on TV. They ran tough and didn't go down easy. Got a lot of YAC.

OL did pretty well considering they faced quite a bit of eight in the box.

DLine looked pretty solid v. run, but would like to see more on the pass rush.

Secondary, I thought was somewhat of a problem, but was not as concerned after rewatching. A lot of yards due to the large cushion by the freshman, I would expect that to improve.

The Huskers really miss Sam Foltz skills.

Give us DPE. Though I don't think he gets much done in that game either.

TA only hit 50%, but a really small sample size and 2 incompletions hit their target on the hands. One you could argue should have been checked down, but the other was the screen. The only other choice would have been to throw it away. Also 1 completion got called back due to alignment.

I don't think I've seen MR that pissed after a game before. He clearly was not very happy. That was almost the most encouraging thing to me.