DPE Still Working into Punt Returns

Mavric

Why no Pierson-El back there?

"It was one of those games, as you saw, where it was going to be trying to field the ball," Riley said. "The ball mostly hung up into the wind and we did not adjust very well to that as a matter of fact. So it wasn't going to be a big return night."

Special teams coordinator Bruce Read is still looking closely at working Pierson-El back into the punt return game, but needs to see a little more from the junior who is back on the field after a lengthy rehab.

"We're kind of waiting on DP," Read said. "I told him I want you to come and tell me you want in. I'm glad he got in and played today and that he got through it good. I think we can use both of those kids I would hope over the course of the season.

"DP is a phenomenal punt returner in the sense that he can just make people miss, and then he puts his foot in the ground and he splits another three or four (players) and then it's just chaos for the punt team. He's a guy we definitely want to get reps. But we want to bring him in slow. Last year I thought maybe I put him in too soon."

LJS

If not DPE,than why not Spielman? We are going to need a better return game than what we saw last year,and last night.

the first step is to have blocking so that the returner can actually run with the ball. Westerkamp was surrounded every punt. If the returner is going to have to call for fair catch every time, you might as well have the player with the best hands catch the punt.
  • Fire 2

I continue to be completely underwhelmed by Bruce Read. Why are we wasting a coaching spot on him again?

Absolutely agree.

Notre Dame hit the jackpot by hiring Marty Biagi over the last off-season. Although he's just a "special teams analyst". Considering aside from kickers and punters, a lot of the players work with their position groups, I'm not sure how much different that is from a special teams coordinator. But if we're going to be paying for one, I'd rather see a guy like Biagi or Daric Riley at SMU in that role.