Kudos to Riley and Langsdorf

Given where we were a year ago, I am glad that Riley and DL showed they are committed to the run game, and to devising a game plan to exploit their opponent's weakness. Now I don't expect this much rushing in every game, but it's evident they want to establish a strong running game early in the season to help the team gain confidence. With that, the passing game will also open up.

I have heard some criticism that our high star WR recruits would not be interested in attending based upon the lack of passes, but it's only one game. Besides, the atmosphere at last night's game was pretty special.

• Fire 3

Given where we were a year ago, I am glad that Riley and DL showed they are committed to the run game, and to devising a game plan to exploit their opponent's weakness. Now I don't expect this much rushing in every game, but it's evident they want to establish a strong running game early in the season to help the team gain confidence. With that, the passing game will also open up.

I have heard some criticism that our high star WR recruits would not be interested in attending based upon the lack of passes, but it's only one game. Besides, the atmosphere at last night's game was pretty special.

Thank you, some fans need to lighten up, this team played very well for a opener.

Many positives. Many things still to work on. I was really encouraged that MR was dissatisfied with a number of aspects of the way the team played and indicated that "...our vision is bigger..." than just managing to win. He saw that many of the things that contributed to the losses last year were still there.

Well, last year they were committed to the pass in spite of all the indicators that wasn't a strength for Tommy. When they started running out of a power set, mixing Cross and Jano in with Newby, they started getting wins, I'd like to see at least 60% run/pass mix, but as long as what they are doing is working, they will have my support.

Given some of the comments recently by players, like MRI, and the Gerry comment late season last year, and the fact that over half of TA's picks (9 of 16) came in the last three games, I don't think it was the change in philosophy or game plan as much as the change in attitude of the players. Compare the blocking in the Purdue game vs the next three games. Better blocking ----> better run consistency.

I think a lot of the players Nebraska is recruiting are smart enough to look at the roster, see the strengths/weakness, understand the strengths/weakness of Fresno St., and then put together why they executed that game plan.

Recruits also know what type of players Riley has been recruiting, particularly at quarterback, and the coaches/recruits know better than any arm chair coach out there what kind of direction the offense is going. For example, I don't care how well Keyshawn Johnson and Riley know each other - would Johnson's son legitimately consider Nebraska if he thought he would be more successful elsewhere?

Saturday night was about selling the experience and I think it was a resounding success.

• Fire 2

According to Riley's comments recently, it was not "the plan" to run as much as they did. Assuming he's being completely truthful, it sounds like it was more of "you go with what's working" than anything else. I'm fine with that.

Edit (for source material):

"I didn't really think it was going to be like that necessarily," said Riley of Nebraska's offense being that run-heavy in the season-opening 43-10 win over Fresno State. "We of course want to run the ball. Got to be a good part of the recipe for what we do all the time."

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/yays-and-nays-after-a-running-start-riley-knows-more/article_ba4e5277-bf77-5bdf-a0fe-4e2bd681f982.html

I hope we see Fresno have a winning season and that will help to comfort me some. I was about as optimistic as anyone on the team's prospects for this year. I felt quite confident the team would pretty much take off from where we left off in the 4th quarter of the UCLA. In ways, we did just that. The run game was quite similar and the pass coverage issues remain. The pass rush was about the same as well. The run defense was about the same. But there was one glaring absence - our pass offense was almost non-existent. That is a little disconcerting to me.

According to Riley's comments recently, it was not "the plan" to run as much as they did. Assuming he's being completely truthful, it sounds like it was more of "you go with what's working" than anything else. I'm fine with that.

"I didn't really think it was going to be like that necessarily," said Riley of Nebraska's offense being that run-heavy in the season-opening 43-10 win over Fresno State. "We of course want to run the ball. Got to be a good part of the recipe for what we do all the time."

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/yays-and-nays-after-a-running-start-riley-knows-more/article_ba4e5277-bf77-5bdf-a0fe-4e2bd681f982.html

Good quote. I think all that any fan can ask from a coach is to put together a game plan to get a win. If NU was having success with the run, I appreciate that that stuck with it this year. Last year they would have success with the run during a drive, then completely abandon it the rest of the game. Riley said in the off season many times that the Big 10 is a league where you need to be able to run the ball, and we have some pretty awesome backs, especially with Ozigbo, Bryant, and Wilbon. Against a team like Oregon we will need to be able to run the ball well and have control of time of possession to keep our defense off the field.

I like the fact Riley and Co stuck with what was working. They weren't trying to force a square peg into a round hole like past coaching staffs

If I'm reading between the lines of Saturday's game and the quotes from summer camp, I think the coaching staff is frustrated by Tommy's lack of progress in the passing game.

I don't think they've been trying to pound a square peg in a round hole with Tommy. I think they have a guy who is tauntingly close to being dominant and dangerous in all phases, but the light still hasn't gone off and maybe it never will. That still leaves Tommy with a lot of weapons, but perhaps trimming down the decision making is the way to go.

Riley seemed almost Bo-like in his post game interview with Damon Benning. Short and irritated. Given the chance to go "nice" in a 33 point opening win on an emotional day, Riley seemed genuinely pissed that the team was still making the kind of mistakes they won't get away with against better teams.

• Fire 1