What did we learn-Wyoming edition

JJ Husker

A few nuggets I learned from today's game:

• The passing game is far improved from last year (especially the screen game), but TA still makes me nervous with his decision making
  • Ozigbo is the top RB on this team currently
  • The D-line got some more pressure in the 2nd half but still is not where it needs to be in order to compete with OSU or Wisconsin
  • The secondary looks much improved overall
  • Bonehead penalties and decisions would have cost us the game against a better opponent

-The defense is good. The run defense will be tested greatly next week.

-Armstrong is athletic, but still makes decisions that leave you scratching your head.

-Offensive Line still needs to get stronger.

-WRs are good

-2-0 is the best we can be at this point in the season. Lets make it 3-0 next week.

I don't think we really played that badly through the first 3 quarters. It wasn't elite football but we were always in control of the game. Sometimes for whatever reason you can't finish drives and pull away from a team who you should beat handily but that dosent mean you can't control the game in a similar fashion vs a better opponent

I don't think we really played that badly through the first 3 quarters. It wasn't elite football but we were always in control of the game. Sometimes for whatever reason you can't finish drives and pull away from a team who you should beat handily but that dosent mean you can't control the game in a similar fashion vs a better opponent

It's a totally different game thru 3 quarters if there aren't 2 TD's called back for penalties and the D is able to stop a 4th down and long (semi Hail Mary).

• Fire 1

We learned the team still has penalty issues.

We learned Tommy is best worst QB on the roster. His best out shined his worst today, but his inconsistency can stall drives.

We learned the defensive line is still green, but leaning towards serviceable.

We learned we can still defend the conventional run plays well, but need to get the end around figured out by next week.

We learned the defense can bend, but often doesn't break and quickly bounces back.

We learned the screen game can be effective and also terribly ineffective all in the same game.

Perhaps we should hold off a bit on overreacting early in games.

Most people "over"reacting are thinking ahead to how we will play against better opponents. The way we finished the game doesn't make the problems in the first 3 quarters go away.

Yep. I'm sure Ohio State Fan is sh#tting a chicken right now. It's just a funny/silly part of sports fandom.

Ok, I keep seeing all the posts about bonehead Tommy plays. Exactly how many "stupid mistakes" did he make out there? I'm just curious. I know the INT was beyond stupid, but is that play going to cloud everyone's judgement on other plays that he did make?

I think it is due to the fact Tommy is a Senior, a 3rd year starting QB and that one mistake in the redzone was flashbacks to what has always seemed to be a problem with him and his decision making. I think most of us would hope after 3 years of being a starting QB at the D-1 level at Nebraska those type of mental mistakes would be gone by now. It just makes it hard to trust him in big time situations.

• Fire 1

Ok, I keep seeing all the posts about bonehead Tommy plays. Exactly how many "stupid mistakes" did he make out there? I'm just curious. I know the INT was beyond stupid, but is that play going to cloud everyone's judgement on other plays that he did make?

I think it is due to the fact Tommy is a Senior, a 3rd year starting QB and that one mistake in the redzone was flashbacks to what has always seemed to be a problem with him and his decision making. I think most of us would hope after 3 years of being a starting QB at the D-1 level at Nebraska those type of mental mistakes would be gone by now. It just makes it hard to trust him in big time situations.
He is what he is. Yes, he needs to cut down those mistakes, but it was only 1 huge mistake. He more than made up for it with his play the rest of the game.
  • Fire 1