What did we learn-Wyoming edition

JJ Husker

Ok, I keep seeing all the posts about bonehead Tommy plays. Exactly how many "stupid mistakes" did he make out there? I'm just curious. I know the INT was beyond stupid, but is that play going to cloud everyone's judgement on other plays that he did make?

I think it is due to the fact Tommy is a Senior, a 3rd year starting QB and that one mistake in the redzone was flashbacks to what has always seemed to be a problem with him and his decision making. I think most of us would hope after 3 years of being a starting QB at the D-1 level at Nebraska those type of mental mistakes would be gone by now. It just makes it hard to trust him in big time situations.
He is what he is. Yes, he needs to cut down those mistakes, but it was only 1 huge mistake. He more than made up for it with his play the rest of the game.

Against Oregon one huge mistake can and will cost you the game. If you get into the redzone vs Oregon you need to score a TD. FGs and turnovers does not beat the Ducks. And my God almighty, Riley should know this since he faced Oregon and saw that machine from 45 miles away for years. Just hope the players realize it and can comprehend it.

Ok, I keep seeing all the posts about bonehead Tommy plays. Exactly how many "stupid mistakes" did he make out there? I'm just curious. I know the INT was beyond stupid, but is that play going to cloud everyone's judgement on other plays that he did make?

I think it is due to the fact Tommy is a Senior, a 3rd year starting QB and that one mistake in the redzone was flashbacks to what has always seemed to be a problem with him and his decision making. I think most of us would hope after 3 years of being a starting QB at the D-1 level at Nebraska those type of mental mistakes would be gone by now. It just makes it hard to trust him in big time situations.
He is what he is. Yes, he needs to cut down those mistakes, but it was only 1 huge mistake. He more than made up for it with his play the rest of the game.

Against Oregon one huge mistake can and will cost you the game. If you get into the redzone vs Oregon you need to score a TD. FGs and turnovers does not beat the Ducks. And my God almighty, Riley should know this since he faced Oregon and saw that machine from 45 miles away for years. Just hope the players realize it and can comprehend it.
I realize that one mistake can cost the Oregon game, but why is the focus just on Tommy's mistakes. What about all the penalties from the entire team? What about giving the freshman punter a green light to run a fake punt? Around college football, when teams are sloppy and undisciplined, a lot of the blame goes to the coaches. Here it seems like it's given to one particular player.
  • Fire 3

I like Tommy, don't get me wrong, just trying to be realistic. He's not playing yet like a veteran senior. It looks very much like a four to five loss team -- and if TA could put it all together, that isn't the case. I'm worried about the games where the Huskers don't basically outclass their opponent. Like last year, where a whole bunch of the games went down to the wire.

I like Tommy, don't get me wrong, just trying to be realistic. He's not playing yet like a veteran senior. It looks very much like a four to five loss team -- and if TA could put it all together, that isn't the case. I'm worried about the games where the Huskers don't basically outclass their opponent. Like last year, where a whole bunch of the games went down to the wire.

To me, there are only a few games where NU shouldn't outclass their opponent. Those are: Oregon, Wisky, Ohio State, and Iowa.

Yes, NU will need to play well against those teams, but I think NU is improving to where NU should be able to win at least 1, if not 2 or 3 of those games.

Yeah, we could well win two of those -- and also lose two of the other ones. Even this game against Wyoming was another poorly-timed mistake away from getting really dicey. Going by what happened last year, I don't know that any B1G opponent is that far below NU. It's just a matter of how the game progresses. Boom/bust. Should be a fun -- but scary -- ride.

I realize that one mistake can cost the Oregon game, but why is the focus just on Tommy's mistakes. What about all the penalties from the entire team? What about giving the freshman punter a green light to run a fake punt? Around college football, when teams are sloppy and undisciplined, a lot of the blame goes to the coaches. Here it seems like it's given to one particular player.
Quarterbacks always get an inordinate amount of the blame or glory. This is nothing new. But yes, we have lots of problems more pressing than Tommy's play today. However, against a better opponent, 1 or 2 brain farts by TA likely will be a deciding factor. We all just wish he had better field vision and made better decisions, especially if this staff is going to have him winging it around 35+ a game. The margin for error gets greatly reduced next week.

In sum, I don't think the scores indicate how good this team is. Both games were much closer than the score would indicate.

Yes and no. The games have been closer than they should have been going into the 4th but Nebraska has dominated on the field as well. We were only up 10 at half despite 333 1st half yards for example.

Tough to get a good read on this team so far but hopefully they can play in the +TO range this year.

Ideally, I think the sweet spot for Tommy pass attempts is around 25. Wyoming has a good run defense and they sold out to stop the run, so NU had to pass more. I did think there were times where Langsdorf could have stuck with the run a little more, but he saw all the big plays coming in the passing game.

It's a 4 quarter game. NU did a good job of taking away Wyoming's strength in the run game and Wyoming had to pass more often. While Wyoming succeeded passing in the first 2 1/2 quarters, those pass attempts added up and they started having more mistakes and NU was getting turnovers. Tommy and the offense did a great job of turning those turnovers into points.

Tommy also had a great drive when Wyoming cut the lead to 24-17. NU needed a score and they got it.

• Fire 1

• The offense is going to need every weapon it has. Could be fun.

• I like individual players in the Husker secondary, but if I were an opposing OC I would pass every play.

• Tre Bryant is the best running back.

• Starting rough and finishing strong isn't the worst problem to have.

• If the first two games make Husker fans feel nervous, how should Clemson and Georgia fans be feeling right now?