Baskets of Deplorables

But the statement is true.

And I said it was dumb of her to say.

But, I thought trump followers thought that kind of stuff was awesome.

But the statement is NOT true. Show me hard evidence that there are 25 to 30 million Trump supporters who are openly making racists, sexist, and homophobic comments. You want to believe those things deeply. Should Trump say half of Hillary supporters are liars, or that they advocate cop-killing since she and the left support BLM who has protested that they want dead cops? Would that be a "true statement?"

• Fire 2

Again, the ONLY thing wrong with the statement was the word "half." She should have said "many" and then there would be absolutely nothing wrong with it.

As it is it's completely wishful thinking that this in anyway approaches what Romney said. Romney was in a private setting with all wealthy donors saying things he wouldn't say to the public. On top of that, he said it about EVERYONE who would vote for the other nominee. That's what 47% means. The other half of the vote. Literally everyone who votes for the other person is dependent upon government, believes that they are victims, and pays no income tax. There couldn't possibly be any other reason that they wouldn't vote for Romney.

Romney's statement was bullsh#t. Clinton's was not.

• Fire 1

"Deplorable" is a good description of the "alt-right". Although I think "racists" might be a better one.

Is 20% of the population "deploable"? Might be a little high (I hope), but its in the ballpark.

Trump is pandering to these people. His campaign CEO runs the top website for these "deplorables". I would think that the most Rs would not want their party taken over by those people. (Just like I don't think that most Ds wanted their party taken over the Sanders wing.)

Again, the ONLY thing wrong with the statement was the word "half." She should have said "many" and then there would be absolutely nothing wrong with it.

As it is it's completely wishful thinking that this in anyway approaches what Romney said. Romney was in a private setting with all wealthy donors saying things he wouldn't say to the public. On top of that, he said it about EVERYONE who would vote for the other nominee. That's what 47% means. The other half of the vote. Literally everyone who votes for the other person is dependent upon government, believes that they are victims, and pays no income tax. There couldn't possibly be any other reason that they wouldn't vote for Romney.

Romney's statement was bullsh#t. Clinton's was not.

Umm...there is more truth to Romney's statement than Clinton's. We are at a point where nearly half of the voting age population is dependent on government in some way. Both statements were a mistake, but Hillary's statement was much more condescending in nature, and like with Romney, she is going to struggle to overcome this gaffe.

• Fire 1

Who do you think that 47% is?

Its a wide swatch of folks from young to old, and frankly, it doesn't really matter as it was a dumb thing to say. With that said, it was not "name-calling" and was backed by actual data. I'm still waiting for someone to show me data that 25 to 30 million Trump voters are racists, sexists, etc..

• Fire 1

Its a wide swatch of folks from young to old, and frankly, it doesn't really matter as it was a dumb thing to say. With that said, it was not "name-calling" and was backed by actual data. I'm still waiting for someone to show me data that 25 to 30 million Trump voters are racists, sexists, etc..

I really don't give a flying rats butt about numbers. I have no clue what the numbers are. If you want to fixate on the word "half"....go ahead. Hey...I'll even say the word "half" is wrong. OK?????

But, if you actually believe his campaign isn't built on fear mongering, hate, promotion of violence against people they don't like....well......you either choose to ignore the reality or are totally buffaloed by this guy.

• Fire 3

I really don't give a flying rats butt about numbers. I have no clue what the numbers are. If you want to fixate on the word "half"....go ahead. Hey...I'll even say the word "half" is wrong. OK?????

But, if you actually believe his campaign isn't built on fear mongering, hate, promotion of violence against people they don't like....well......you either choose to ignore the reality or are totally buffaloed by this guy.

While I agree Trump spent too much of his primary campaign tearing others down, and then had the Khan controversy post convention, if you look at most of the general election (which I call the period after both conventions and until election day), he has been the one giving major policy speeches on many topics, including terrorism, inner city plight, economic struggles, immigration, and today rolled out a child welfare program to help out young families. Hillary and her team are not out offering new ideas...instead, they are trying to demonize Trump and his supporters time and again. A day or two before the deplorables comment, Bill Clinton was out making a claim that "Make America Great Again" was racist, despite the fact he used those same words many times when running in 1992, and repeated them in 2008 when Hillary was running. Since Trump hired Kellyanne Conway, his campaign has been focused and on message, and is offering a much greater balance of positive policy offerings along with the criticisms of Hillary. All we hear from Team Hillary are attacks on Trump.

• Fire 1

While I agree Trump spent too much of his primary campaign tearing others down, and then had the Khan controversy post convention, if you look at most of the general election (which I call the period after both conventions and until election day), he has been the one giving major policy speeches on many topics, including terrorism, inner city plight, economic struggles, immigration, and today rolled out a child welfare program to help out young families. Hillary and her team are not out offering new ideas...instead, they are trying to demonize Trump and his supporters time and again. A day or two before the deplorables comment, Bill Clinton was out making a claim that "Make America Great Again" was racist, despite the fact he used those same words many times when running in 1992, and repeated them in 2008 when Hillary was running. Since Trump hired Kellyanne Conway, his campaign has been focused and on message, and is offering a much greater balance of positive policy offerings along with the criticisms of Hillary. All we hear from Team Hillary are attacks on Trump.

Both of us don't like Hillary. Discussion of her being less than desirable as a candidate is just talking for the sake of talking.

Now...back to Trump. So...you admit he built his following based on hatred of other groups and promotion of violence towards people who disagree with him....thanks.

It's a bit dated I know... it probably makes no difference in how you'll receive it, but you can't say I didn't try...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2012/10/27/poll-black-prejudice-america/1662067/

In all, 51% of Americans now express explicit anti-black attitudes, compared with 48% in a similar 2008 survey. When measured by an implicit racial attitudes test, the number of Americans with anti-black sentiments jumped to 56%, up from 49% during the last presidential election. In both tests, the share of Americans expressing pro-black attitudes fell.

Most Americans expressed anti-Hispanic sentiments, too. In an AP survey done in 2011, 52% of non-Hispanic whites expressed anti-Hispanic attitudes. That figure rose to 57% in the implicit test. The survey on Hispanics had no past data for comparison.

The poll finds that racial prejudice is not limited to one group of partisans. Although Republicans were more likely than Democrats to express racial prejudice in the questions measuring explicit racism (79% among Republicans compared with 32% among Democrats), the implicit test found little difference between the two parties. That test showed a majority of both Democrats and Republicans held anti-black feelings (55% of Democrats and 64% of Republicans), as did about half of political independents (49%).