Fo Fiddy

ZRod

Lightbourn had a hell of a game!

The punt return scheme is still going to drive people mad.

Punt coverage and punt return schemes both looked different to me in this game. Were we holding something back for UO?

The only difference I saw was Lightbourn was kicking the ball much better. Our return blocking scheme wasn't any better, DPE just made a play. But he also had to fair catch a couple and fumbled one because the pressure was right in his face as the ball got there. Even the one good return had a guy hit him before he caught it. He just made a heck of a play.

It's hard to judge based on the TV coverage, but it looked at we actually attempted to block some guys this game. So only a guy or two were in on the returner as opposed to 4-7 in previous games. I also noticed one of our blockers started on the left side of the formation and dropped back and across the field to block a cover guy coming from the opposite side. I hadn't seen that in the previous two games.

There may have been marginally more room because their punter was kicking it farther than our previous opponents. But there were still a bunch of guys running free.

They punted six times. We had one return for 45 yards. On their other five punts we combined for -3 return yards.

Good points. I'd have to go back and watch the special teams to go into any more depth than this. Ideally, somebody that knows something about football would do that for me and put it on the interwebz.

A couple of the punts DPE had enough room to at least get a few yards, but fair caught them instead. He also had a dropped punt and one where he got tackled by 2 right away. Overall it was a better game by the punt return team, maybe even the best game since Riley became coach. And they were doing something with the return that they had never done this year, might be the fact that Oregon's punter could actually punt more than 30-35 yards through the air.