Fo Fiddy

ZRod

i want to give these special teams coached some benefit of the doubt becuase i think it's just ridiculous how the punt game has become so technical across college football with the rugby stuff and playin on reads and punters having green lights to run if they want. And what these things have done to the return game. And the strategy of punters to punt the ball in low directional squibblers that dont allow for returns anyway. Obviousl we'd like to see better blocking but at what expense? I think there's too much concern of punters running with their rugby stuff. And that delay in the rugby style allows speedy cover guys to get down field faster anyway. So i see a lot of mindset of a return team being, when in doubt, let it bounce, and lets just get the ball and play O and wait for them to make the mistake of kicking a fieldable punt. My idea for a rememdy of this is why dotn people take their best athlete (a Kieron Williams or Tre Bryant type) and just send them after the punter and force a hand? Dont give them the time for this rugby crap and take that strategy out of the hands of the kick team, and give our guys the freedom to turn and block. i dont know. i dont make 6 figures to figure it out. But obviously punt and punt return are far more technical than it was 10 years ago. i think it's ridiculous and far too gimmicky, as opposed to just lining up and executing a simply basic. it's 4tha nd 8. line up and punt the dman ball and go cover. I think it's another instance of coaches trying to find an advantage by overthinking what is supposed to be a simple part of the game, as opposed to expending that extra energy and resources on your team's actually identity.

all of this is true and you are doing a good job being rational, on the other hand this is all this guy is being paid to do. I agree that I think an aggressive attack on the punter is the answer but I think everyone is afraid of getting roughing the punter. IMO if punters are carrying the ball like they are they should be treated like ball carriers and lose their extra protection, making roughing more like with a qb where you have a couple step window from release to make contact

Lightbourn had a hell of a game!

The punt return scheme is still going to drive people mad.

Punt coverage and punt return schemes both looked different to me in this game. Were we holding something back for UO?

The only difference I saw was Lightbourn was kicking the ball much better. Our return blocking scheme wasn't any better, DPE just made a play. But he also had to fair catch a couple and fumbled one because the pressure was right in his face as the ball got there. Even the one good return had a guy hit him before he caught it. He just made a heck of a play.

• Fire 2

Punt coverage and punt return schemes both looked different to me in this game. Were we holding something back for UO?

The only difference I saw was Lightbourn was kicking the ball much better. Our return blocking scheme wasn't any better, DPE just made a play. But he also had to fair catch a couple and fumbled one because the pressure was right in his face as the ball got there. Even the one good return had a guy hit him before he caught it. He just made a heck of a play.

It's hard to judge based on the TV coverage, but it looked at we actually attempted to block some guys this game. So only a guy or two were in on the returner as opposed to 4-7 in previous games. I also noticed one of our blockers started on the left side of the formation and dropped back and across the field to block a cover guy coming from the opposite side. I hadn't seen that in the previous two games.

It's hard to judge based on the TV coverage, but it looked at we actually attempted to block some guys this game. So only a guy or two were in on the returner as opposed to 4-7 in previous games. I also noticed one of our blockers started on the left side of the formation and dropped back and across the field to block a cover guy coming from the opposite side. I hadn't seen that in the previous two games.

There may have been marginally more room because their punter was kicking it farther than our previous opponents. But there were still a bunch of guys running free.

They punted six times. We had one return for 45 yards. On their other five punts we combined for -3 return yards.

There may have been marginally more room because their punter was kicking it farther than our previous opponents. But there were still a bunch of guys running free.

They punted six times. We had one return for 45 yards. On their other five punts we combined for -3 return yards.

Good points. I'd have to go back and watch the special teams to go into any more depth than this. Ideally, somebody that knows something about football would do that for me and put it on the interwebz.

This was going to be a tough game for punt coverage. There is a lot of space on these types of plays and space favors the speed of Oregon. I think we did use some different schemes (as mentioned above) I saw a couple of our guys come from weird angles and actually make a nice block. Our speed will be comparable to the teams we play over the next several weeks and the results will show.