Fo Fiddy

ZRod

The punt return issues aren't new. Westy rarely had any room to do anything last year. We returned less than one punt per game - though we were at least fair catching most of them.

Part of the issue this year is the opponents' punters not being very good. But whatever we're doing at the line isn't working.

The quality isn't great here, but I wanted to try and provide some context to the thread based on punt returns from past years, returns that were very successful.

DPE is the Husker furthest to the right in the first screen capture, and this is taken immediately after he gets the ball.

Some things to keep in mind - a lot of variables go into kick returns. Leg strength, accuracy of kick, hang time, speed of players... No two punt situations are created equal. So, feel free to compare and contrast, but keep in mind we're also comparing a lot of different variables here. Furthermore, perhaps it's not what they're doing at the line, but how quickly NU's defenders are getting downfield? Just something to think about.

DPE%201.png

This is another punt with a big return. Again, four defenders within roughly 10 yards. Two are engaged with blockers to some extent.

DPE%202.png

Here's one last one that went for a touchdown, kicked by MSU's Mike Sadler (very good punter).

DPE%203.png

One theme in these photos is Nebraska's players in relation to the kick returner. As you can see, in these successful returns, Nebraska defenders got downfield quickly and are engaged with blockers.

• Fire 3

The quality isn't great here, but I wanted to try and provide some context to the thread based on punt returns from past years, returns that resulted in TD's.

DPE is the Husker furthest to the right in the first screen capture, and this is taken immediately after he gets the ball.

Some things to keep in mind - a lot of variables go into kick returns. Leg strength, accuracy of kick, hang time, speed of players... No two punt situations are created equal. So, feel free to compare and contrast, but keep in mind we're also comparing a lot of different variables here. Furthermore, perhaps it's not what we're doing at the line, but how quickly our defenders are getting downfield? Just something to think about.

DPE%201.png

This is another punt that went for a touchdown. Again, four defenders within roughly 10 yards. Two are engaged with blockers to some extent.

DPE%202.png

Here's one last one that went for a touchdown, kicked by MSU's Mike Sadler (very good punter).

DPE%203.png

One theme in these photos is Nebraska's players in relation to the kick returner. As you can see, in these successful returns, Nebraska defenders got downfield quickly and are engaged with blockers.

good stuff. And not even necessarily engaged, but at the very least, in position to be once DPE makes a cut.

Uh, we haven't even blocked for a punt return so I'm not sure how we're even going to average return yards. I'm concerned about punting, but there's not much we can do with the cards life dealt us. In the meantime how about we don't let our freshman punter call audibles... don't we pay somebody for that?

That can only be an on field decison. Do you want the punter to receive the snap and then look to the sideline for a call? Punter just needs to read the defense better and know his capabilities. Punters know this - if MR told him we are going to just punt everytime because you are just a freshman and not as skilled as SF - what would that do for the kids confidence?

You don't even have to tell him that's what you're doing. But if you going to have an honest conversation with the kid, it's not that hard to say "Hey, given the circumstances I just want you to focus on Punts. If we're going to fake it, we will make the play call and you don't need to make that decision." Done.

Listen to MR's post game. He had no clue that it was coming... It sounds like they had a game plan with Read that if they were seeing the right conditions to green light the punter, but Riley was dumbfounded that it happened then.

Uh, we haven't even blocked for a punt return so I'm not sure how we're even going to average return yards. I'm concerned about punting, but there's not much we can do with the cards life dealt us. In the meantime how about we don't let our freshman punter call audibles... don't we pay somebody for that?

That can only be an on field decison. Do you want the punter to receive the snap and then look to the sideline for a call? Punter just needs to read the defense better and know his capabilities. Punters know this - if MR told him we are going to just punt everytime because you are just a freshman and not as skilled as SF - what would that do for the kids confidence?

You don't even have to tell him that's what you're doing. But if you going to have an honest conversation with the kid, it's not that hard to say "Hey, given the circumstances I just want you to focus on Punts. If we're going to fake it, we will make the play call and you don't need to make that decision." Done.

Listen to MR's post game. He had no clue that it was coming... It sounds like they had a game plan with Read that if they were seeing the right conditions to green light the punter, but Riley was dumbfounded that it happened then.

Maybe I missed it, but I think HCMR said that under those conditions (i.e., when Wyoming did not send anyone to rush him), Caleb was meant to hold the ball for longer before punting to allow the gunners to get down field to the punt returner, not take off with the ball.

• Fire 2

Maybe I missed it, but I think HCMR said that under those conditions (i.e., when Wyoming did not send anyone to rush him), Caleb was meant to hold the ball for longer before punting to allow the gunners to get down field to the punt returner, not take off with the ball.

Caleb wasn't given the green light to run the ball, it was a brain cramp that he decided to do on their own. He was supposed to roll right and delay the punt as long as possible.

Caleb wasn't given the green light to run the ball, it was a brain cramp that he decided to do on their own. He was supposed to roll right and delay the punt as long as possible.

Do we know this for sure? I mean ... I don't think they told him specifically to run on that play. But that's part of the design of that type of punt setup: if you think there is an opening and can get the first down, take off with it. It would seem to me that when they were putting that type of punt in it would be explained that it was a possibility. I don't know that they specifically told him not to run at all. He just didn't judge how far he could get very well.

You're right, I confused that.

Had he cut upfield as soon as the D turned their hips thinking it was a rugby style kick it would have worked. He drew the play out to long.