Turning Point in Nebraska Football?

ScottyIce

I think we find out that this was the turning point in Nebraska football on Saturday.

If we come out and bully Northwestern and win by a few scores and look dominant, then we have our answer. It will be a resounding yes.

Anyone disagree with that?

Northwestern is a team we should beat the socks off of. That won't sell me that we've turned a corner. I need this complete seasons work to make that judgement. If we win the games we should and are competitive in the rest, then I will start to believe we've turned a corner.

That's my point. That is what Nebraska used to do back in the team to teams like Northwestern. They knocked their socks off and flexed their muscles to the Nation.

I guess you're definition of a turning point is different than mine.

When you are going somewhere in the car, at some point, you have to turn the car in that direction to get to your desired destination. THAT is the turning point. Arriving at that destination isn't the turning point.

Example....the 95 championship wasn't the turning point that put us there. It was the decisions TO made from 90-92 that was the turning point that put us in position to win those championships.

So, the turning point was when Bo got fired and Riley hired?

I really thought Callahan had turned the corner after the bowl in over Michigan.

I really thought Pelini had turned the corner after our bowl win over Arizona.

This one however feels different since it is not a bowl game. I think the turning point from the brink of disaster was the Michigan St. win. The UCLA win also felt like we were beginning to turn the corner.

It is too early to tell and an Armstrong injury would really crush this team's potential.

To me, NU has to go out and win the next 4 games for me to think they have "turned a corner". The next 4 games are against bad opponents, so they are games that NU should win. I want 4 victories and 2-3 of them should be blowout wins.

Since we are defining things. Please define a "Blowout" win by terms? 30 points?

I think we find out that this was the turning point in Nebraska football on Saturday.

If we come out and bully Northwestern and win by a few scores and look dominant, then we have our answer. It will be a resounding yes.

Anyone disagree with that?

Northwestern is a team we should beat the socks off of. That won't sell me that we've turned a corner. I need this complete seasons work to make that judgement. If we win the games we should and are competitive in the rest, then I will start to believe we've turned a corner.

That's my point. That is what Nebraska used to do back in the team to teams like Northwestern. They knocked their socks off and flexed their muscles to the Nation.

And what if we beat the crap out of Northwestern and then somehow lose to Illinois or Indiana is my point. I want to see consistency throughout an entire season. Beating a crappy Northwestern team won't make me think we're some world beaters. I've thought we were turning the corner plenty of times in the past, only to be completely let down by seasons end.

I guess you're definition of a turning point is different than mine.

When you are going somewhere in the car, at some point, you have to turn the car in that direction to get to your desired destination. THAT is the turning point. Arriving at that destination isn't the turning point.

Example....the 95 championship wasn't the turning point that put us there. It was the decisions TO made from 90-92 that was the turning point that put us in position to win those championships.

So, the turning point was when Bo got fired and Riley hired?

There would be a very good argument for that as far as the program management goes.

I am a big Riley fan (so far so good in my view) but we really have to wait for quite some time, no matter how badly we all want to see dramatic improvement and a return to greatness, reaching a key turning point ? We won't know that for at least the remainder of the season and that assumes the team finishes this year in dramatic, winning and championship caliber fashion of some sort.

I thought it took more than 1 turn to get most places..... Why don't we think of it as are we getting closer to or further from "where we are trying to go". There are always points in time that are going to make you more confident that it is actually happening. Like being a kid and asking if we were almost home from going to Grand Island to see family - the point of confidence was seeing the state capital from the interstate. Some of us just need more or less confidence.

To me, NU has to go out and win the next 4 games for me to think they have "turned a corner". The next 4 games are against bad opponents, so they are games that NU should win. I want 4 victories and 2-3 of them should be blowout wins.

Since we are defining things. Please define a "Blowout" win by terms? 30 points?

Oh geez, are we really going through this exercise again? I know a blowout when I see it.

Turning point =

• Go at least 9-3
  • Win the West
  • Make it a close B10 Title game or even win it

That would be a hell of a comeback year for Riley after the garbage 15' season.

Would pretty much be identical to Callahan's second year. So I gotta say no. For me it's going to be 4 years of consistent winning with a championship of some sort. Otherwise minus the abrasive personality he wouldn't have accomplished anything Pelini hasn't done.

• Fire 1