What did we learn-Northwestern edition

JJ Husker

I learned that if we would have held on to the ball at the goal line we would have scored more than the 38 that we should have. If we don't fumble those balls NU keeps rolling because Northwestern would not of had the little bits of momentum that they gained from those blunders.

Also I only seen TA throw 1 pass that should have been picked (would have been a pick 6 too). He has shown tremendous growth and our coaching staff has as well

I learned that if we would have held on to the ball at the goal line we would have scored more than the 38 that we should have. If we don't fumble those balls NU keeps rolling because Northwestern would not of had the little bits of momentum that they gained from those blunders.

Also I only seen TA throw 1 pass that should have been picked (would have been a pick 6 too). He has shown tremendous growth and our coaching staff has as well

Why do people always want to point out "passes that should have been picked". Dropped interceptions happen all the time, and to even the best QB's. There are going to be missed throws and potential interceptions. It's stupid to play the What If game.

One major thing learned is that Wilbon deserves more carries. His lateral quickness is something the other two RB's don't have.

Wilbon definitely has some nice wiggle. Reggie Davis has commented that Wilbon will be a part of the offense going forward.

It looks like the coaches like to go with the "hot hand" at RB, so Wilbon could be in line for more carries this year.

Up until NW we were playing relatively mistake free football. Sure we had a couple ugly kerfuffles against the Ducks but that was expected. Against NW we revealed we are still prone to making mistakes. That said, we no longer allow that to dictate our success.

NW is a team that capitalizes on mistaked and finds a way to bring you down to their level regardless of talent gaps. We left a for sure 14 points on the field Saturday that all but guarantee our win end at 38-13. Not only that but we let the early touchback set the tone for the first half. Had that not happened, they likely would have rolled over much sooner than they did.

We find a way to win even if we aren't playing soundly. That's the difference maker between this year and last, and this year we are a better team fundamentally (save for ST). I learned this team could make a serious run at the conference title game if we stick to what is working. When we gel, we can't be stopped. And when we don't, we find a way around it. If we can borrow NW's bring your opponent down approach like Highlander does when he gets a quickening, we could run the table.

Didn't get to watch much of the game live (don't ask). Just got done watching via DVR.

- Second game in a row I give major props to Langs for the game plan. Last year this is a game where he abandons the run with several plays not going anywhere in the first half. But he seems to have figured out it works to stick with it. And almost as impressive he's figured out he has to give TA the easiest of throws. Lots of stationary and right-over-the-middle targets.

- That being said, too many of our running plays are WAY to slow developing. Many times in the first half the line blocked well but the plays were so slow developing that their CBs and Safeties were making the tackle for 1 or 2 yards. Seemed to be better in the second half.

- Sam Hahn had a rough game. Wonder if Whitaker gets a look when Farmer is healthy.

- Speaking of Whitaker - who was, what, our 5th or so OG starting fall camp - great for him to get mentioned as having a great game by the staff. Kind of makes me wonder about the supposed "gap" between our starters and backups.

- Third straight game where Newby had a better YPC than Ozigbo. And it wasn't even close. Not sure what it takes for him to get some more second half chances.

- Our defensive scheme is significantly better than last year's but our implementation still needs a lot of work. No idea why we're often giving an 8-9 yard cushion on the outside. And I don't like that we don't really cover the slot. Northwestern had 388 yards against us. They had 277 against Illinois State.

- Great game from the DTs - Maurice and Stoltenberg combine for 2.5 sacks and 4 TFLs.

- Kieron Williams and Nate Gerry continue to make plays all over the field.

- I guess if we're not going to block anyone we only need to send out seven guys for a punt "return".

- Third straight game where Newby had a better YPC than Ozigbo. And it wasn't even close. Not sure what it takes for him to get some more second half chances.

I wonder what Newby's YPC is sans his goal-line fumble run on the third play of the game where he had a giant hole. Not to say that that doesn't count, but I saw one run by Newby in the game where I thought that he did a great job vs the play being called well and the OL opening up solid holes. Ozigbo seems to very consistently make something out of less than something.

I wonder what Newby's YPC is sans his goal-line fumble run on the third play of the game where he had a giant hole. Not to say that that doesn't count, but I saw one run by Newby in the game where I thought that he did a great job vs the play being called well and the OL opening up solid holes. Ozigbo seems to very consistently make something out of less than something.

I guess you can dismiss what you want but that was a great run. Play was up the middle, he cut to the outside, cut inside one guy then cut back to the outside to get down the sideline. The fumble was bad but the run was great.

I'm not trying to bash on Ozigbo but this was his second game averaging less than 3.3 ypc this year. He runs tough but he hasn't been making an entirely large amount happen - which also has to do with playcalling. Ozigbo's best YPC game - against our worst opponent - is the only game he has that is better than Newby's worst YPC game this year. Yet he has twice as many carries. Plus Newby has three runs longer that Ozigbo's longest - on half the carries.

If you want to blame it on playcalling that's fine - I'd like to see where you think Ozigbo has been getting significantly different play-calls - but let's run more of the plays we're running with Newby.

• Fire 2

I'm sure we all think Nebraska is a fine team...a real dandy team.....some of us are a little more critical because we think we've already got these guys by us beat and we're already looking down field thinking about how we're gonna beat those other guys.......just like Reggie Bush.

​So the criticism isn't so much about what we've done as much as it's about our perception of how it will measure up against Wisconsin and Ohio State. Fortunately the teams performance so far is allowing us to have that speculation.

Probably should spend the entire season comparing NU to Alabama - It will be good for you because you can continue to explain how much NU sucks and it will be good for the rest of us because we will be able to start looking forward to the run that NU will have for the rest of 2016.

That's an optimistic way to look at it GBR.

​I'll continue to point out our deficiencies and you can wave your pom poms....we'll be a team.

• Fire 1

I guess you can dismiss what you want but that was a great run. Play was up the middle, he cut to the outside, cut inside one guy then cut back to the outside to get down the sideline. The fumble was bad but the run was great.

I'm not trying to bash on Ozigbo but this was his second game averaging less than 3.3 ypc this year. He runs tough but he hasn't been making an entirely large amount happen - which also has to do with playcalling. Ozigbo's best YPC game - against our worst opponent - is the only game he has that is better than Newby's worst YPC game this year. Yet he has twice as many carries. Plus Newby has three runs longer that Ozigbo's longest - on half the carries.

If you want to blame it on playcalling that's fine - I'd like to see where you think Ozigbo has been getting significantly different play-calls - but let's run more of the plays we're running with Newby.

Yeah, he made a bad move at the half yard line, but at least he was able to get there.