What did we learn-Northwestern edition

JJ Husker

The game thread is so a toxic cesspool of rampaging emotions. I love it. Those threads need their villians, so Eutaw you keep being you.

Dedrick Young played his best game of the year, but can still be much better and that is encouraging.

Hahn struggled A. TON. You can't know what you truly have until some game experience is had. Please Cav let us see what else there its (Barnett)

This team makes Thorson look like a QB god far to often in two years facing him.

Finally Fo Fiddy continues to laugh to bank every pay day

That the team can fumble a few times, fall behind, and not totally melt down against a just-OK team. Feels surprisingly good.

This sentiment bothers me in the sense that we all know what the subtext is. However, we had like what, five or six comeback wins to win the division under Pelini? He had his faults, but melting down in close games is simply a false narrative.

I learned we should be able to handle the teams we are supposed to handle this year.

I should have explicitly included Riley's first year (especially the Northwestern game) but OK.

Half of those 2012 comebacks were against teams with 6+ losses, but NWU/PSU were pretty good. Even granting that, it has to be negated by the pants-*****ing that went on in Indianapolis (to an 8-6 team that only won their division by NCAA sanction). Losses featuring negative turnover margins (including plenty of turnovers in the red zone) to OK-at-best teams include Iowa State (2009, 7-6), Northwestern (2011, 6-7), Minnesota and Iowa (2013, both 8-5). Just enough times to warrant mention, IMO...

That the team can fumble a few times, fall behind, and not totally melt down against a just-OK team. Feels surprisingly good.

This sentiment bothers me in the sense that we all know what the subtext is. However, we had like what, five or six comeback wins to win the division under Pelini? He had his faults, but melting down in close games is simply a false narrative.

I learned we should be able to handle the teams we are supposed to handle this year.

I should have explicitly included Riley's first year (especially the Northwestern game) but OK.

Half of those 2012 comebacks were against teams with 6+ losses, but NWU/PSU were pretty good. Even granting that, it has to be negated by the pants-*****ing that went on in Indianapolis (to an 8-6 team that only won their division by NCAA sanction). Losses featuring negative turnover margins (including plenty of turnovers in the red zone) to OK-at-best teams include Iowa State (2009, 7-6), Northwestern (2011, 6-7), Minnesota and Iowa (2013, both 8-5). Just enough times to warrant mention, IMO...

Bo's teams did seem to find a way to usually squeak out wins in the closest games, but most of those come-from-behind games were that way because we started playing absolute garbage, and there were too many of them that weren't close.

There at many times looked to be a lot of confusion on defense waiting for signals....you can bet tOSU will take advantage of that if it continues. And special teams needs to pick it up....apparently nobody on the staff knows what DPE is capable of...I see him getting blasted on a punt return and getting hurt or muffing a punt costing us a game. And burning a time out because you're short 4 guys on a punt return that must have been a play out of Mark Helfrichs book.

I'm sure we all think Nebraska is a fine team...a real dandy team.....some of us are a little more critical because we think we've already got these guys by us beat and we're already looking down field thinking about how we're gonna beat those other guys.......just like Reggie Bush.

​So the criticism isn't so much about what we've done as much as it's about our perception of how it will measure up against Wisconsin and Ohio State. Fortunately the teams performance so far is allowing us to have that speculation.

• Fire 1

Juat got done with DVR. Nick Gates. Bad man. Count out.

Fo show! At the game I remeber seeing him get 2 pure pancakes. His man was on the ground or pushed 5+ yards back most of the game.

Recievers had some excellent blocks as well.

I'm also impressed with how well our D can fight off blocks to make a tackle, and how well the corners and safeties make one-on-one tackles on the edge. The LBs kinda let the team down last night. They didn't make a lot of easy tackles and it hurt. Overall a decent performance by the defense. Our ends and sometimes corners, just need to work harder on maintaining outside leverage. They get caught inside too many times, and it's always a big gainer.

I'm sure we all think Nebraska is a fine team...a real dandy team.....some of us are a little more critical because we think we've already got these guys by us beat and we're already looking down field thinking about how we're gonna beat those other guys.......just like Reggie Bush.

​So the criticism isn't so much about what we've done as much as it's about our perception of how it will measure up against Wisconsin and Ohio State. Fortunately the teams performance so far is allowing us to have that speculation.

Probably should spend the entire season comparing NU to Alabama - It will be good for you because you can continue to explain how much NU sucks and it will be good for the rest of us because we will be able to start looking forward to the run that NU will have for the rest of 2016.

Nebraska gives up a fair amount of yards, but is better than average preventing scoring. (50th in total defense, 25th in scoring defense)

Nebraska has a better than average offense. Both units will have to show significant improvement to have a chance vs. tOSU and possibly the Weasels Badgers.

Nebraska's toughest opponent remains Nebraska.

TA looks like a conf OPY candidate.

I am still hoping to learn that the Huskers can put an opponent away in the the first half.