Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

I get what people are trying to achieve now with anthem protests, but why were they started?

I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color- Colin Kaepernick

He expressed here that the country as a whole is oppressing black people. Not that there are a few racist individuals out there. That the country is the reason why there are racist thoughts. The country with a black, and soon maybe female, president, is racist. You cannot generalize a country based on a minority of people, and that is what anthem protestors are doing.

For all we know, Kaepernick may have just done this for personal attention because he is not a starter anymore. Judging by his past history, that could very well be the case.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/80494-drop-examples-of-indisputable-proof-that-systemic-racism-still-exists-in-here/

You might want to read a little more instead of just looking at the pictures. There's even a video with a cute girl to explain it to you.

Would it be okay for a player to burn a flag right before kickoff?

Yes, it would. Provided the player followed the law and got the permits from the city of Lincoln and the school and whoever else might be required to issue a permit. In fact, it would be admirable. That flag is an ever-changing piece of CLOTH that holds no meaning except what people attach to it. I am a native american, a member of an Indian Tribe, the Rosebud Sioux of South Dakota. That flag is a symbol of repression and conquest, of ill deeds and immoral behavior, murder of children and elders. That flag represents the unwelcome conquest of nations and tribes from the East Coast to Hawaii.

You stand there in your 'sacred ground' of worship for the US Government and tell me I am wrong. My people live on a reservation in South Dakota and are faced with 90% alcoholism, universal poverty, an unemployment rate of 80% and an average life span of 48. You tell me, you stupid son of a bitch. Is that flag sacred? It killed millions, and the survivors of that massacre in the 1800s and 1900s are still among you. How sacred is that damn piece of cloth? Go to Whiteclay Nebraska and plead your sorry-ass case to a bunch of drunk Indians who hate you.

I fought for that damn flag. And I tell you. it is worth the white blood spilled in its name. But it takes no consideration for MY people or the other races that died to preserve the rights you have. We are many and we are invisible. Our contribution has been, will be forgotten.

The nazis would most likely have exterminated the remaining native population had the white devil not turned Omaha beach red with their blood to protect said native Americans.

Also, and maybe this is just my crazy coming out, but if I'm an alcoholic, blaming someone else for my excessive consumption of alcohol doesn't help much...

Not your crazy, your ignorance.
So explain to my ignorant self why it's the American flag's fault that, as Flood put it, 90% of Native Americans struggle with alcoholism.

Many American Indian communities are impoverished, with some tribes reporting unemployment as high as 85%. Existing jobs are found mainly within the tribal government, Bureau of Indian Affairs, state social services, the school systems, and the Indian Health Service (IHS) Hospital. Additionally, years of failed government policies have left reservation economies with limited economic opportunity. The government placed reservations in areas away from fertile land, population centers, water supplies and other vital resources, compounding economic challenges with geographic isolation.

http://indianyouth.org/american-indian-life/poverty-cycle

Maybe if we had treated them better, alcoholism wouldn't be so rampant.

And by 'we,' you mean..? Because I certainly had nothing to do with what happened to the Native Americans, or, more to the point, African Americans.

Can you specifically list the things that need to happen for these athletes to stand for the National Anthem once again? Has Kaepernick, Rose-Ivey, or any of them explained specifically what needs to change? And simply spouting about 'systemic racism' helps nothing. Show me a policy or politician that specifically puts anyone at a distinct disadvantage, so we can fight it together.

Yes, it would. Provided the player followed the law and got the permits from the city of Lincoln and the school and whoever else might be required to issue a permit. In fact, it would be admirable. That flag is an ever-changing piece of CLOTH that holds no meaning except what people attach to it. I am a native american, a member of an Indian Tribe, the Rosebud Sioux of South Dakota. That flag is a symbol of repression and conquest, of ill deeds and immoral behavior, murder of children and elders. That flag represents the unwelcome conquest of nations and tribes from the East Coast to Hawaii.

You stand there in your 'sacred ground' of worship for the US Government and tell me I am wrong. My people live on a reservation in South Dakota and are faced with 90% alcoholism, universal poverty, an unemployment rate of 80% and an average life span of 48. You tell me, you stupid son of a bitch. Is that flag sacred? It killed millions, and the survivors of that massacre in the 1800s and 1900s are still among you. How sacred is that damn piece of cloth? Go to Whiteclay Nebraska and plead your sorry-ass case to a bunch of drunk Indians who hate you.

I fought for that damn flag. And I tell you. it is worth the white blood spilled in its name. But it takes no consideration for MY people or the other races that died to preserve the rights you have. We are many and we are invisible. Our contribution has been, will be forgotten.

The nazis would most likely have exterminated the remaining native population had the white devil not turned Omaha beach red with their blood to protect said native Americans.

Also, and maybe this is just my crazy coming out, but if I'm an alcoholic, blaming someone else for my excessive consumption of alcohol doesn't help much...

So explain to my ignorant self why it's the American flag's fault that, as Flood put it, 90% of Native Americans struggle with alcoholism.

Many American Indian communities are impoverished, with some tribes reporting unemployment as high as 85%. Existing jobs are found mainly within the tribal government, Bureau of Indian Affairs, state social services, the school systems, and the Indian Health Service (IHS) Hospital. Additionally, years of failed government policies have left reservation economies with limited economic opportunity. The government placed reservations in areas away from fertile land, population centers, water supplies and other vital resources, compounding economic challenges with geographic isolation.

And by 'we,' you mean..? Because I certainly had nothing to do with what happened to the Native Americans, or, more to the point, African Americans.

Can you specifically list the things that need to happen for these athletes to stand for the National Anthem once again? Has Kaepernick, Rose-Ivey, or any of them explained specifically what needs to change? And simply spouting about 'systemic racism' helps nothing. Show me a policy or politician that specifically puts anyone at a distinct disadvantage, so we can fight it together.

I will also agree to join this fight.

I get what people are trying to achieve now with anthem protests, but why were they started?

I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color- Colin Kaepernick

He expressed here that the country as a whole is oppressing black people. Not that there are a few racist individuals out there. That the country is the reason why there are racist thoughts. The country with a black, and soon maybe female, president, is racist. You cannot generalize a country based on a minority of people, and that is what anthem protestors are doing.

For all we know, Kaepernick may have just done this for personal attention because he is not a starter anymore. Judging by his past history, that could very well be the case.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/80494-drop-examples-of-indisputable-proof-that-systemic-racism-still-exists-in-here/

You might want to read a little more instead of just looking at the pictures. There's even a video with a cute girl to explain it to you.

I read that thread already, and I get the argument perfectly. What I focused on in my post is the person who started anthem protests, and whether or not he was genuine.

I will also agree to join this fight.

I will gladly join this.

Are you saying they are trying to start their own, better country?

Actually, it kind of sounds like you're saying that?

So does a good parent occasionally say "I disagree with you, I'm not going to do this parenting thing today"

"I don't agree, I'm not going to do this American thing today"

Like, they're deciding to forego their citizenship by kneeling and praying for this country? Or....what, exactly?

In the attempt to appear patriotic there are so many violations of the Flag code technically showing disrespect. Surprisingly, the flag is not supposed to be displayed flat or horizontal, as it was during the national anthem in Evanston.

Unintentional disrespect for the flag happens all of the time in about 20 different ways.

So it happens so often that we should say f**k it when it intentional?

No, we shouldn't do that, but we should be consistent with our outrage. Now that you know the flag shouldn't be worn on clothing, I hope you're donating any you might have, or else that's intentional disrespect, for example.

The reason the anthem protest is unacceptable is because it turns a traditionally cross-racial, crosa-political activity into an exercise in "white guilt"

Nice try, attempting to make the anthem=white guilt!

For all of you who are genuinely interested, there is a guy you should look into, his name is Shelby Steele, he has been discussing and publishing academic work for over a decade on this very issue.

The reason the anthem protest is unacceptable is because it turns a traditionally cross-racial, crosa-political activity into an exercise in "white guilt"

For all of you who are genuinely interested, there is a guy you should look into, his name is Shelby Steele, he has been discussing and publishing academic work for over a decade on this very issue.

God forbid anyone does something that makes white people uncomfortable.
  • Fire 3

I leave my sociopolitical convictions at home in respect of the tradition.

Maybe it's time to start wielding them, I see others certainly do.

I leave my sociopolitical convictions at home in respect of the tradition.

Maybe it's time to start wielding them, I see others certainly do.

Feel free to post them here. I am very curious as to what sociopolitical stances that you have.

I'm a little late to the discussion on Flood's rant, but I find Herbie's and Jeremy's responses to it very comical.

I can't see post counts on my phone, but I'm pretty sure Flood has been a frequent contributor to this board for quite some time, yet he is treated as a new member when we know he is Indian. Also, what was surprising about him being a Husker fan? I'm guessing this is the first time anyone has asked him that.

As close as we are to the reservations and social issues with Indians, why are we so ignorant of Indian history, and the causes of those issues? It is much easier and simpler to blame people in poverty for their "choices"

• Fire 3

I really didn't get the "How did you find HuskerBoard" comment. Native Americans can't use the internet? I'm certain that's not what that meant, but it kinda sounded like it.

Regarding "White Guilt." That's a copout. I understand that it's easier for some people to whitewash the argument to this degree so they can more easily refute it and dismiss it, but that's not what MRI wants White people to feel.

I'm White. I don't feel guilty about anything because I don't persecute minorities. I don't feel that MRI is talking to me, specifically, when he says that "Husker Fans" have called for his ouster, or violence against him, or called him racial epithets. Whites don't represent me, and I don't represent Whites.

Maybe if you feel White Guilt... maybe you have a reason to feel that.

• Fire 4