Grateful For Mike Riley

NM11046

Very few were ready to give up on Riley last year, mainly the ones that just plain did not want him here. He needs at least 3-4 years. He has the team improving, and really that is all anyone can ask of a coach. The kids are a team, we haven't seen that in a long time.

I new HC needs at least 6 years as long as nothing unethical or illegal happens under their watch to show if they are a good fit with the program that they are currently with. That is 4 years of having to use the players that the last staff recruited which can be a good or bad thing depending on how good recruiters they were. Then two years with experienced players that they recruited to play in their system. Bo had 7 years which was more than enough time to prove how good of a fit he was, and Frank had 6 and both proved that they were not fit for the job here.

Of our last five coaches only one has proved he wasn't worthy of being here. It wasn't Frank or Bo.

Your statement is true however you could have changed the second sentence to say "and two proved that they weren't going to get us where we inspired to be".

The statements would have included the same three coaches.

I like MR personally, but I am not thankful he is the Husker HC. Solich and Bo were fired because 9 wins isn't good enough. MR gave us a losing season. That should never have happened. We are 7-0, but we haven't played a top 50 team yet. I am hoping for the best, but I think there were many better coaches available.

Cracks me up when people say things like the bolded. It's either a huge exaggeration or they don't have any idea what a bottom half team actually plays like. We're clearly a top 30 team. It's easy to argue we're not a top 10 team. Stick with that. But we'll see how the next 2 games go.

Well, it is an exaggeration but only slightly. According to Sagarin, the best team we've played is #44 Northwestern.

It's a huge exaggeration. You aren't slightly better than the best team you played. That's bad logic. If you managed to beat every team you played that's something in itself. Teams that aren't in the top 50 manage to lose some of the types of games we played, even if they're playing teams ranked worse than them.

I know there are way, way more factors involved but let's say a team has a 80% chance to beat each of the first 7 teams on their schedule. Even then, their probability of beating all 7 is 21%. Any team who does that is almost assuredly top 50 unless they're playing only teams in the bottom 10%, e.g. an Ivy League school.

I would agree that there were probably better coaches available. But were there better coaches that would fix the broken program that was Nebraska. I don't know. But I know that I like Coach Riley, think he truly has done a fantastic job, including what he had to work with last year.

Very few were ready to give up on Riley last year, mainly the ones that just plain did not want him here. He needs at least 3-4 years. He has the team improving, and really that is all anyone can ask of a coach. The kids are a team, we haven't seen that in a long time.

I new HC needs at least 6 years as long as nothing unethical or illegal happens under their watch to show if they are a good fit with the program that they are currently with. That is 4 years of having to use the players that the last staff recruited which can be a good or bad thing depending on how good recruiters they were. Then two years with experienced players that they recruited to play in their system. Bo had 7 years which was more than enough time to prove how good of a fit he was, and Frank had 6 and both proved that they were not fit for the job here.
Of our last five coaches only one has proved he wasn't worthy of being here. It wasn't Frank or Bo.

Your statement is true however you could have changed the second sentence to say "and two proved that they weren't going to get us where we inspired to be".

My statement was actually based on facts. Your statement is pure speculation on your part. We will never know what Frank could have done if he stayed.

I like MR personally, but I am not thankful he is the Husker HC. Solich and Bo were fired because 9 wins isn't good enough. MR gave us a losing season. That should never have happened. We are 7-0, but we haven't played a top 50 team yet. I am hoping for the best, but I think there were many better coaches available.

Who else was available? I'd love to see the list.

My statement was actually based on facts. Your statement is pure speculation on your part. We will never know what Frank could have done if he stayed.

How many years was Frank the head coach? Six by my count and I'm pretty sure that was more than enough to know what he was capable of.

Who else was available? I'd love to see the list.

All he has is sour grapes, there is no list. uhoh.gif

Again the University is about more than wins and losses. One coach was removed for failure to win enough games, and the change of culture of the program. A good guy, just not a great head coach. Never said a bad word about Nebraska on his way out the door.

One left for not having the greatest seasons, but following a legend that normally happens. But there were far greater reasons that coach was sent packing. Some followed to his new employment. I believe if not for off field issues, he would have figured it out and we would not have fallen to where we did.

The other coach, was a disaster by Nebraska standards from the instant he was terminated the first time. It had nothing to do with wins or losses. His character and loyalty to Nebraska was his problem. His inability to accept leadership, his taunting of those that paid his salary, his true character was on full display on several videos. He could have won ten or eleven, but he was doomed. He never belonged on the Nebraska sideline. An embarrassment during his first tenure. Finally a third strike by the infamous Coach Osborne could not be overlooked (that really is not true, he never had a choice).

How many years was Frank the head coach? Six by my count and I'm pretty sure that was more than enough to know what he was capable of.
You're actually right for once Elf. Frank played in a National Championship game, won a Big 12 conference championship and had a team ranked number 3 at the end of the season.

Good post and I agree 100%. It feels good to have a head coach that you can feel proud of.

He answers questions so thoroughly and completely that it's tough to second guess his judgement. He reminds me of Coach Osborne in that regard.

I think we all wanted a coach who was as proud of the program's rich traditions as all Nebraskans. This place is special and it's nice to see Coach Riley and his staff recognizing what makes this place unique.

His life experience is apparent in his actions and he is the right fit for sure .

I'm not sure I would have rated this very highly at the time Riley was hired, but having witnessed this staff's inclusion of all things Nebraska and gratitude for their positions, I'd now rate it as one of the biggest reasons I appreciate these coaches. And I think the thing is: you can't know how to "get back" to what Nebraska once was if you don't even know or appreciate what it once was. I couldn't be happier with this staff.

Absolutely!

Man, we are 7-0 and winning games we should, with all the injuries on the offensive line. Thats pretty damn good. It aint pretty. But they are getting the job done, without worrying about a coach blasting them on the sidelines for a mistake. And playing "tight" isnt overrated. You over think instead of reacting. By the way, who cares how tough the teams we have beaten are. If we win, the team we played suck....if we lose....we cant beat a crappy team. 😕

Im happy hiw resilient this team has been. Foltz, rose-ivey situation. At the end of the day, they are kids. Kids get distracted. Holding it all together starts at the top. Riley has done a great job.

GBR!