Most Overrated Coaching Jobs

Atbone95

What makes his article lose all credibility is calling Penn State an overrated coaching job. If anything Penn State is an underrated coaching job at this point. There is a load of talent in the Northeast area and lot of it is right there in the state of Pennsylvania. Not to mention Penn State has a extremely huge and loyal fan base and I can only assume very good facilities.

I have read many articles that have Penn State as a top 10 head coaching destination. As far as having Nebraska on that list, as others have stated they may be biased, and I too may be biased, but the only downside to Nebraska as a job would be the recruiting aspect. Having to travel all over the country to recruit players. But other then that I would see Nebraska as at least a top 15-20 head coaching job. Think about it, you have support (or lack of support) from the entire state (Depending on your success), you have rich tradition, grade A facilities, you play in the B1G and the "weaker" division within the B1G, loads of money, etc, etc. Again the only downside to the Nebraska job would be the recruiting which I think can be overcome with all the positives the job brings.

Miami isn't an overrated job. Miami is currently a sleeping giant. Once that thing gets going, they have the entire ACC to dominate.

Notre Dame I do agree with. Tough academics, must travel all over the place to get players, not much recent success, no conference affiliation. The 50-60 year olds that is your target market unfortunately do no have any eligibility left to play at ND. So Notre Dame is only a hot name due to their history of many decades ago. So I do agree with the writer that Notre Dame is an overrated job.

• Fire 1

Notre Dame I do agree with. Tough academics, must travel all over the place to get players, not much recent success, no conference affiliation. The 50-60 year olds that is your target market unfortunately do no have any eligibility left to play at ND. So Notre Dame is only a hot name due to their history of many decades ago. So I do agree with the writer that Notre Dame is an overrated job.

Notre Dame, blackballed by its neighbors, was forced to travel long ago and became a national university as a result (because they were successful). With that being the case, I don't think you can equate their travel needs with ours even before you consider how much nearby talent they have. E.g., Chicago loves ND and they're just 90 miles away. As for recent success, they made the national title game just a few years ago. Not being in a conference hasn't really hurt them until recently (since the playoff committee "rules" favor conferences) and, even then, their not having participated has more to do with them than not being in a conference.

• Fire 1

Notre Dame, blackballed by its neighbors, was forced to travel long ago and became a national university as a result (because they were successful). With that being the case, I don't think you can equate their travel needs with ours even before you consider how much nearby talent they have. E.g., Chicago loves ND and they're just 90 miles away. As for recent success, they made the national title game just a few years ago. Not being in a conference hasn't really hurt them until recently (since the playoff committee "rules" favor conferences) and, even then, their not having participated has more to do with them than not being in a conference.

Yes they did recently make the NCG, but they got blown out and I don't know, I never really saw them as a threat to win the national title, more a product of their weak schedule.

You are right about them having to travel to recruit is different because they play all over the place. But still, besides that 2012 season has Notre Dame really been a top competitive program in the last 10?15?20? years? I know they have been a big program because well they are Notre Dame, have their own NBC sports contract, had their special BCS bowl tie in deal, but given all that Notre has and had, and their flexibility of having a very easy schedule, yet their lack of on field success is the reason I would see them as an overrated job.

• Fire 1

Yes they did recently make the NCG, but they got blown out and I don't know, I never really saw them as a threat to win the national title, more a product of their weak schedule.

Virtually every strength of schedule publishing for that 2012 season has Notre Dame in the Top 10:

They played a really good schedule -- I watched every game that year, hoping that they would FINALLY lose their next game. :) But they kept on winning. I couldn't stand it, but I must admit, it was a pretty impressive run.

I would agree with most that some jobs are TOUGHER than others, but certainly not overrated. The right coach can, and has, won at both places (probably the last being Holtz at ND).

I think overrated would imply that it's almost impossible to achieve expectations at a job, or it's simply not rewarding when you do, and I don't really see that at either place.

Miami has a relatively easier annual schedule than ND, and that area is LOADED with talent. I don't understand how coaches aren't winning there.

USAToday has put out a lot of positive articles out about Nebraska in the past.

That said, the Nebraska coaching job is not overrated. EVERYONE who ever considers coaching here knows of the geographical problem. Nobody ever claims it's the perfect coaching job in the middle of a recruiting hotbed.

This list is more like a "What are some traditional schools who haven't won important things lately, plus we'll throw in Vanderbilt and West Virgina?"

You are right about them having to travel to recruit is different because they play all over the place. But still, besides that 2012 season has Notre Dame really been a top competitive program in the last 10?15?20? years? I know they have been a big program because well they are Notre Dame, have their own NBC sports contract, had their special BCS bowl tie in deal, but given all that Notre has and had, and their flexibility of having a very easy schedule, yet their lack of on field success is the reason I would see them as an overrated job.

Sorry I'm practically "necro-ing" at this point but I appreciate that you put some thought into your post. I think it's fair to point out that ND took Clemson to the wire in South Carolina last season and, despite having lost that game, STILL had a good chance of making the CFP last season had they won at Stanford. That Texas and Georgia Tech weren't much good last season had a lot to do with a weaker strength of schedule rating. See also: U$C. Clemson and Stanford were pretty much it, although Navy did win 11 games in the 2015-16 campaign.