Do we win without the favorable 4th Down spot?

I felt like we were very fortunate to get the first down on Newby's 4th and 1 runaround the 20 yard line. My initial thought was that he was short and then even seeing the replay I think there could have been enough evidence to mark him down at least a half yard short. Did anyone else see it the same way? I'm not sure we would have been able to hold them from at least another field goal which would have maybe it a 9 point deficit. I haven't heard much said about that play so I was wondering how everyone else felt. I had a very bad feeling until we took the lead and even until Newby's long run.

• Fire 2

I havent seen anthing this year to suggest we wouldnt have found a way even after that. I have to go off what we've seen in terms of perseverance and resolve and assume we still win. But it takes a TD off the board and the game in the final few minutes becomes much more nitty gritty than what it turned out to be.

I havent seen anthing this year to suggest we wouldnt have found a way even after that. I have to go off what we've seen in terms of perseverance and resolve and assume we still win. But it takes a TD off the board and the game in the final few minutes becomes much more nitty gritty than what it turned out to be.

That's true. I also thought there was alot less time on the clock for some reason. There was still 12 minutes on the clock after we scored. Maybe it was the pressure of the situation or that the drive took forever in real time, but I thought there was under 6 min left. Still, the momentum shift could have been hard to handle.

Did anyone else see it the same way?

Yes, I think its safe to say we got a favorable spot, and Newby was obscured enough to not overturn the call.

I havent seen anthing this year to suggest we wouldnt have found a way even after that.

I agree with this, too. We likely would have won anyway, but it would have been tougher.

I never had that pit in my stomach feeling, even when we were down in the start of the 4rth. I knew we had been moving the ball consistently all day, and I saw our runs getting longer and longer.

That's true. I also thought there was alot less time on the clock for some reason. There was still 12 minutes on the clock after we scored. Maybe it was the pressure of the situation or that the drive took forever in real time, but I thought there was under 6 min left. Still, the momentum shift could have been hard to handle.

Not a lot of sample size. We're only 5 games in. So it's kind of strange I have this feeling. But I'm at the point right now where we actually have to sh#t our pants with zeros on the clock before I get the shitpantsing feeling. I just dont feel a panicked feeling from this group.

I agree. I haven't once had a panicked feeling this season or a feeling that we would blow it at the end of the game. Lot different than last year. Even had we not got the spot, and I definitely agree it was favorable, I still think we would have won. No way to know, but my gut feeling is that we would have won. I was saying as soon as they blew the whistle that we didn't get it so I was surprised we got the spot. Sometimes the calls are gonna go our way and sometimes not. Part of the game I guess.

I thought the spot was right. Looking at the replays, it's difficult to tell, but I thought Newby had the ball where the ref spotted it.

Would we have won if we didn't convert there? Probably. Illinois was doing almost nothing in the second half, and was all three and outs in the 4th quarter, so I'd wager the Illini end up punting from deep in their own territory and the Huskers have good field position.

I think we would've still found a way to win the game. IMO there was no way to overturn that spot based on what we seen on replays. I don't think the spot was favorable to be honest. I thought it was the right spot and knew the measure was going to be close.

I didn't see any evidence in the replays that suggested Newby didn't get the first down.