Huskers back in the top ten (AP & Coaches) after 5-0 start

knapplc

I can't help but think this will stir up even greater gnashing of teeth if/when the Huskers lose to unranked Indiana.

I imagine our doom-and-gloomers are already prepping their hot takes on not being able to maintain a top-ten ranking.

Typical Mike Riley, they'll say.

Allow me:

"Well when you hire a 5-7 coach you're bound to lose to the Indiana's of the world. We'll be lucky to win another game. Typical Mike Riley meltdown even though I only learned who Mike Riley was an hour after Nebraska hired him".

The main thing I am seeing here is the highest score Indiana has accumulated has been 34 against FIU. I honestly expected more out of their offense. They have a strong run game that we have been pretty solid at defending.

I think you're going by last year. Indiana is only #80 in the country in rushing this year and #85 in scoring offense. Last year they were #26 and #24. Last year we were #32 in yards per rushing attempt allowed. This year we are #102.

Isn't that inflated by the Oregon game mostly? Indiana doesn't have near the speed to stretch the defense that Oregon does. Ohio state is the only other team I think that can this year. Also, aren't Indianas running backs both more brusiers than slashers? Just honest questions

Oregon was the worst as far as yards per carry goes at 7.1 but Northwestern (6.6) and Illinois (5.9) were pretty bad as well. Really it would be more accurate to say Fresno State is dragging the average down by being a poor rushing team (poor team in general) and we got several sacks that count against their rushing yards.

If we win vs Indiana we will move up 1 or 2 spots going into Purdue game because Wisconsin/tOSU play and so does Tennessee/Alabama.

and the next week you have Alabama/TAMU. We could possibly wind up as high as 6 or 7 heading into the Wisconsin match up
Which makes me nervous. This team plays much better with a chip on their shoulder. I hope I'm wrong, but maintaining top ten will be much harder than attaining top ten these next two games.

I can't help but think this will stir up even greater gnashing of teeth if/when the Huskers lose to unranked Indiana.

I imagine our doom-and-gloomers are already prepping their hot takes on not being able to maintain a top-ten ranking.

Typical Mike Riley, they'll say.

I mean even if we win it will be by not enough points against a .500 team.

If we win vs Indiana we will move up 1 or 2 spots going into Purdue game because Wisconsin/tOSU play and so does Tennessee/Alabama.

and the next week you have Alabama/TAMU. We could possibly wind up as high as 6 or 7 heading into the Wisconsin match up
Which makes me nervous. This team plays much better with a chip on their shoulder. I hope I'm wrong, but maintaining top ten will be much harder than attaining top ten these next two games.
I know exactly what you mean, but I also have confidence that HCMR has this team focused on getting the next win and I think that will help us out big time in situations we have fallen apart in the past
  • Fire 1

I think we actually have had the proper perspective on this so far.... and I think the team does too.

It's really nice to be back in the top 10.... it's been awhile.... but with that ranking comes the responsibility to try and stay there. I think everyone gets it. It's okay to think that maybe it's a soft ranking because Nebraska may not have "proven" it yet, but it isn't a lot different than some of those teams back in the 70s and 80s that were untested until Oklahoma.

Maybe we deserve it, maybe we don't.... but at least we have the ability to control that outcome in the next 3-4 weeks.

The main thing I am seeing here is the highest score Indiana has accumulated has been 34 against FIU. I honestly expected more out of their offense. They have a strong run game that we have been pretty solid at defending.

I think you're going by last year. Indiana is only #80 in the country in rushing this year and #85 in scoring offense. Last year they were #26 and #24. Last year we were #32 in yards per rushing attempt allowed. This year we are #102.

Isn't that inflated by the Oregon game mostly? Indiana doesn't have near the speed to stretch the defense that Oregon does. Ohio state is the only other team I think that can this year. Also, aren't Indianas running backs both more brusiers than slashers? Just honest questions

Oregon was the worst as far as yards per carry goes at 7.1 but Northwestern (6.6) and Illinois (5.9) were pretty bad as well. Really it would be more accurate to say Fresno State is dragging the average down by being a poor rushing team (poor team in general) and we got several sacks that count against their rushing yards.

Pretty surprising. I've actually thought besides a few big runs we had been doing a good job with rush defense. Guess not...

You're not back. You start thinking you're back too early and you'll be humbled.

Where did anyone say this??

In the thread title? :dunno

Ha ha! Yeah, true enough, *back* to the top 10. But back when we had a GOOD teamduring our dynasty years of the 90sa #10 ranking would have been a disappointment. We will truly be back, as a program, when a #10 ranking is again considered a disappointment. We're still a ways away from that level at present. As everyone here well knows.

I was never disappointed by any top 10 ranking the Huskers were given. I will admit to a bit of disappointment on the rare occasion the Huskers dropped into the top 15.