Perfect Time to Discuss This Scenario

This was discussed in fall camp, but we are 5-0, and things are rolling and we are ranked 10th in the country.

What if Tommy's injury is serious and can't play on Saturday and potentially longer? (I have no reason to believe it is)

Do we give Ryker the nod, or yank POB's redshirt and let him have at it?

• Fire 1

I agree. A one game injury and Fyfe should get the nod.

On the other hand, if it had been a season ending injury, you have Fyfe and O'Brian battle it out in practice, or alternate drives or quarters vs Indiana or Purdue. That way the better of the two should win the starting job and POB gets some experience either way.

If it's a long term injury, you play the best quarterback. Fyfe won't be here next year but you don't give up on this season just to give next year's potential starting quarterback some reps if he's not the 2nd best QB on the team.

If it's a one game injury, you play Fyfe.

I think that makes perfect sense.

If it was for the remainder of the season, I might have a short leash with Ryker. Is that awful to say?

Gotta think that Fyfe is the most prepared guy to step in right now, for any length of time, until proven otherwise. POB's a true freshman. A year behind the scenes, learning, seems like it's what's right for him right now.

Fyfe showed some real guts in the Purdue game. And he's another year wiser, another year in the system. Think it'd take a lot for him to lose the job if he got the chance.

If it's a long term injury, you play the best quarterback. Fyfe won't be here next year but you don't give up on this season just to give next year's potential starting quarterback some reps if he's not the 2nd best QB on the team.

If it was for the remainder of the season, I might have a short leash with Ryker. Is that awful to say?

Yes, it is awful! I bet you kick kittens too!

• Fire 1

Yes, it is awful! I bet you kick kittens too!

Nooo....

That's what squirt guns are for chuckleshuffle

• Fire 1

Fyfe with Darlington as back up. those 2 will be our best shot. This situation is why that AJ Bush leaving was such a big deal and is also why they are recruiting more QB's in the class of 2018. Not anything against POB but most high profile QB recruits need 2 years in a college system to learn how to play QB. You can't survive on natural ability like high school. Tanner Lee will be in the middle of the 2017 battle. If POB is our starting QB in 2018; he will take us far!

• Fire 3

Gotta think that Fyfe is the most prepared guy to step in right now, for any length of time, until proven otherwise. POB's a true freshman. A year behind the scenes, learning, seems like it's what's right for him right now.

Fyfe showed some real guts in the Purdue game. And he's another year wiser, another year in the system. Think it'd take a lot for him to lose the job if he got the chance.

Reminder that POB has basically been in the program for close to a whole year now. He isn't a green horn anymore. He came in January.