Running

C N Red

Sorry, but I feel like this is a relatively classic case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't."

I would have liked to have seen a few more designed keepers for Tommy, but I'm not all that upset with Langsdorf's game tonight.

We played one of the best defenses in the country with an injured and patchwork offensive line. Our defense played very well. Pretty great effort tonight, but we came up short. They have a lot of speed on the edges. You saw that on the reverse to Westerkamp. Pretty hard to move the ball against Wisconsin; hell - Even Michigan only mustered 14 points.

• Fire 3

I really hope Riley is pressured to get rid of Langs in the off-season

Riley loves Langsdorf. He isn't getting rid of him. Also remember how awesome the offense was going to be with "Riley's guys".
I love TA but it will be nice having a quarterback that doesn't miss wide open touchdown tosses

I really hope Riley is pressured to get rid of Langs in the off-season

Riley loves Langsdorf. He isn't getting rid of him. Also remember how awesome the offense was going to be with "Riley's guys".
I love TA but it will be nice having a quarterback that doesn't miss wide open touchdown tosses

the throw that stands out to me the most was in the first half when we were either at mid field or just on the plus side of the field on 3rd down. Reilly was wide open on a 5 yard drag route and probably goes for 20 if Armstrong hits him in stride. Instead he back foots it and its 2 yards behind him and is incomplete.

I do think we will miss the element of the QB running game but it will be nice to have a QB that can make throws a college QB should be able to make

I know Tommy misses throws, but when NU goes to a statue QB, you are going to get the Wisconsin offense. Wisconsin actually has a decent o-line, which NU doesn't. I didn't see Wisconsin going up and down the field last night, and their 2 statue QB's threw 2 INT's, the same as Tommy.

I don't think this is true. The difference is we will have weapons on the outside. Our receiving corp is light-years ahead of Wisconsins and if we had a player who could get those guys the ball more effectively I promise we wouldn't look like Wisconsins offense.

Part of the reason our run game is having a hard time is because Armstrong completed 40% last night. If we get a guy who can make the defense sweat the passing game it will open things up a little.

Again, I don't want to disrespect TA. He is a great player when your get him doing what he does best. Like any other player. These coaches just aren't comfortable running that offense and don't know how to formulate a complete game plan to what Tommy does. All I'm saying is with a guy like Tanner Lee, the coaches will be more in their comfort zone and will be more effective

• Fire 1

I know Tommy misses throws, but when NU goes to a statue QB, you are going to get the Wisconsin offense. Wisconsin actually has a decent o-line, which NU doesn't. I didn't see Wisconsin going up and down the field last night, and their 2 statue QB's threw 2 INT's, the same as Tommy.

I don't think this is true. The difference is we will have weapons on the outside. Our receiving corp is light-years ahead of Wisconsins and if we had a player who could get those guys the ball more effectively I promise we wouldn't look like Wisconsins offense.

Part of the reason our run game is having a hard time is because Armstrong completed 40% last night. If we get a guy who can make the defense sweat the passing game it will open things up a little

The RB run game is opened up by a mobile QB. It takes another defender away from the RB responsibility. It's not as simple as saying "the pass game takes a guy away from the box".

Part of the reason our run game is having a hard time is because Armstrong completed 40% last night. If we get a guy who can make the defense sweat the passing game it will open things up a little

The RB run game is opened up by a mobile QB. It takes another defender away from the RB responsibility. It's not as simple as saying "the pass game takes a guy away from the box".
there are a million ways to open up the run game and I am sorry to tell you a mobile QB isn't the only one. You can open up the run game and take defenders out of the box if you are slicing them up through the air, which will be easier if they are loading up against the run. In fact they may not load up against the run so much if they know your quarterback can really hurt them through the air and you aren't super reliant on the run. Again there are a million different strategies in football and yours isn't the only one that works.

Personally, we have just had an athlete at QB for 7 years and I'm ready to try something a little different.

I agree there are a numerous ways to play football. I just prefer the use of a mobile QB. I think it opens up the offense more than a statue QB. While Armstrong has been a very good, mobile QB there are still plenty of guys in CFB that are a better combo of running and passing. Just watch CFB some Saturday. We will see how well the offense operates with a statue QB over the next few years, because that's what NU is gonna be using. We will also see how well NU does with Langsdorf passing the ball 60% of the plays.

I agree there are a numerous ways to play football. I just prefer the use of a mobile QB. I think it opens up the offense more than a statue QB. While Armstrong has been a very good, mobile QB there are still plenty of guys in CFB that are a better combo of running and passing. Just watch CFB some Saturday. We will see how well the offense operates with a statue QB over the next few years, because that's what NU is gonna be using. We will also see how well NU does with Langsdorf passing the ball 60% of the plays.

I'm fine with a combo guy, I would prefer Lamar Jackson over Tanner Lee as well but we just don't have that kind of player on our roster. It hinders the offense when you can't pass effectively. And I'm not sure where you get that idea from but I'm sure we will run the ball 50-55% of the time next year, a little less than this year but not by much.

I will say, it is frustrating because Tommy could be this type of player if he had consistent footwork. Tommy cab throw the ball well but we need that consistently

Guys watch the game again - Wisc was too fast on the outside. There were no easy yards around the line of scrimmage. This game was not won or lost by Langs - it came down to who was better in the trenches and it wasn't NU.

I agree, Wisky was fast. My only complaint is not throwing on first down and the play calling in overtime was horrible. Sometimes I think he is afraid to let Tommy throw.

Guys watch the game again - Wisc was too fast on the outside. There were no easy yards around the line of scrimmage. This game was not won or lost by Langs - it came down to who was better in the trenches and it wasn't NU.

They were. A really fundamentally sound defense. Which, to me anyway, screams to try something different instead of playing into the teeth of that defense. We spent an awful lot of time in 3rd and long situations because first and second down were runs between the tackles that were stuffed.

A fast defense often takes themselves out of position on any type of misdirection or play fake, but didn't really try much of that. A 10 yard deep reverse to our slowest receiver? I really didn't understand that one.

The other stuff very well might not have worked either, their defense is that good, but don't you at least have to try something different?

• Fire 1

This is an uncomfortable truth for many. But it's 100% accurate.

This is an uncomfortable truth for many. But it's 100% accurate.

Tanner is more statuesque. POB, at least in HS, was pretty mobile. If he can throw 60-65%, and still be mobile enough to scramble and do a few designed runs, maybe some RPO we will be ok. A quick release, ability to progress through reads also helps alleviate less than stellar line play.