Trump's America

zoogs

LEESBURG, Va. (AP) — Schools won't have to cut more salt from meals just yet and some will be able to serve kids fewer whole grains, under changes to federal nutrition standards announced Monday.

Schools could also serve 1 percent flavored milk instead of the nonfat now required.

You're going to have to explain that to me.

What Michelle Obama had put in place was done with all good intentions. Problem was, it left schools feeding kids tasteless crap and not enough to satisfy them.

Somewhere on here I started a thread a long time ago about this and everyone else thought my issues with it weren't worth getting worked up about. But, I know this will make my son very happy. He's 6'7" and 190 lb athlete. We have to send food to school with him to keep in his truck or in his locker because the school lunches are so pathetic. And....they used to not be this bad before Michelle put in her regulations.

My son is fine and we supplement the school food. BUT, there are kids in our community where this is sometimes the only meal they get. And...Michelle was concerned that they are getting too many calories.

These rollbacks aren't being done with kids' health in mind, that's the problem. They're being done to make more money.

The suppliers that give our schools food will now be free to sell worse food at the same prices. The kids will get more food but it will be less healthy, worse quality.

What's the best trade-off? Healthy food kids don't like, or junk food they like? These rollbacks really don't care. They just want to line the pockets of the suppliers. And the kids will suffer.

• Fire 1

LEESBURG, Va. (AP) — Schools won't have to cut more salt from meals just yet and some will be able to serve kids fewer whole grains, under changes to federal nutrition standards announced Monday.

Schools could also serve 1 percent flavored milk instead of the nonfat now required.

You're going to have to explain that to me.

What Michelle Obama had put in place was done with all good intentions. Problem was, it left schools feeding kids tasteless crap and not enough to satisfy them.

Somewhere on here I started a thread a long time ago about this and everyone else thought my issues with it weren't worth getting worked up about. But, I know this will make my son very happy. He's 6'7" and 190 lb athlete. We have to send food to school with him to keep in his truck or in his locker because the school lunches are so pathetic. And....they used to not be this bad before Michelle put in her regulations.

My son is fine and we supplement the school food. BUT, there are kids in our community where this is sometimes the only meal they get. And...Michelle was concerned that they are getting too many calories.

These rollbacks aren't being done with kids' health in mind, that's the problem. They're being done to make more money.

The suppliers that give our schools food will now be free to sell worse food at the same prices. The kids will get more food but it will be less healthy, worse quality.

What's the best trade-off? Healthy food kids don't like, or junk food they like? These rollbacks really don't care. They just want to line the pockets of the suppliers. And the kids will suffer.

Wow...that's a big jump.

Under Michelle's regulations, school lunches got worse...not better. Like I said, they were done with good intentions. But, they were a total failure.

Says who? You're not the only person with a kid in public schools.

EDIT - I'll say it this way. School lunches, from the kids' perspective, suck. They sucked when we were kids, they suck now no matter what Michelle Obama did, they're going to suck when Trump is done redoing them. You could feed kids exactly what they say they want, as much as they want, and they're still going to gripe about it. Kids gripe about the food they eat.

So while I'm not going to defend Obama's lunch program, I will say that it didn't suck any worse than any other lunch program. And it could have been done much better, with healthier, fresher food, if they wanted.

But this Trump change will not make things better. It'll just be different.

• Fire 1

I read the articles, we had this discussion before. As I pointed out previously, there were a lot of complaints from conservatives. There was praise for the program as well. It depends who you listen to, and what their motivations are.

This is BS though.

Our After school program in our community is very important to many families who have both parents working. I'm not sure where this idiot thinks it's "not working".

Because he's Mick Mulvaney. Ultra conservative budget hawk.

He'd reduce the federal spending to $0 if he could. It's just the way this particular guy is wired.

Remember back in March when he said the same thing about after-school programs that feed kids who don't get enough food?

Problem was, it left schools feeding kids tasteless crap and not enough to satisfy them.

My thought on this is I find it hard to accept their appeal at face value.

#1, maybe it's more costly to make good healthy food. Then they should do it, and on the flip side, we should fund it.

#2, people will always like fries and soda more than healthy food, however "good". This is no reason to feed fries and soda. Similarly, flavored milk is garbage. It's absolute junk. Pumping kids full of sugar is not acceptable just because there's some calcium and vitamin D there too.

Companies should find a better solution. I admit it's not a simple problem, but giving in to your junk food addiction is not acceptable. I fully understand how making low effort, poor-tasting healthy food and then saying "Hey, they won't eat it, please let us serve kids s--- again" is a solid commercial strategy. This is the problem I think policy should address. I certainly think we can find better ways to address it, perhaps, but that's not what is going on with this rollback.

I know I keep going back to this...simply because it's the experience we have experienced.

Our school wasn't feeing kids fries and pop. In fact, long before this, pop was not allowed in the school during school hours.

Our school used to have actually a pretty dang good salad bar. A couple times a year I have meetings at the school over lunch and I would have a salad. One day I walk in and it's gone. I ask why. Supposedly too many of the items on the salad bar were considered high fat.

So....our kids can't eat a friggen salad bar any more.

BRB - what was high fat in your a salad bar? Bacon bits maybe? Croutons?

My bet (totally uneducated other than watching what happened at our salad bar) is that the salad bar got zero action by students.

I don't doubt your thoughts on this topic, but man what you've shared is just beyond my ability to comprehend. It makes zero sense. My understanding of the revision of her meal act in 2016 was that they agreed to up fruit and vegetable servings, add whole grains and cut sodium. Nothing about calorie count.

Edit - my bad - just found the calorie count. 800 for high school, 750 elementary and 650 for elementary kids. The article i'm reading said the issue was kids were not eating the vegetables and fruits and then were hungry in the afternoon.

I like the reason for the changes but anyone who puts a limit on fat doesn't know anything about nutrition. Fat is not bad in and of itself. Unnatural fat is bad. Fried fatty foods are bad.

Avocados, olives and eggs are healthy and they have fat. Certain cheeses are healthy. Whole milk is better for you than skim milk. Etc.

• Fire 1

I think there might be a lesson here that's bigger than food.

People like to blame teachers and school for lots of things.

If kids aren't eating healthy food when it's basically forced on them, it's clear that school isn't a big influence on their diets (and other things(?)). We obviously have a problem with what we're eating (as a society) but it's up to parents to fix it for their kids. Not schools. The schools should have healthy options, but not have them be the only option. It's up to parents to ingrain healthy eating in them so they can choose good food for themselves.

• Fire 1

My DIL tells me that the kids were throwing out the good food and eating the slop when she worked as lunch lady.

Yup - also, the workers were feeling "frustrated and demotivated" that kids were throwing so much away that they'd worked on.

I agree with you Moraine - issue is I don't think many school lunches are serving up avocados and olives. It was the fried stuff (chicken fingers, burgers, pizza) that were changed and that upset people.

I wish they'd made these changes when I was in school - might have a better routine on veges and fruit than the carbo load we were served each day. I could have used the guidance, both in content and in calories.

BRB - is there anything that says your son couldn't buy two lunches if he was not getting enough? I remember some kids would do that on pizza day at my school. Just thinking out loud that if the calorie count is the issue then that's a solution. 800 is a pretty generous total for one meal.