Trump's America

zoogs

Don't know much about the lunch thing as I don't have a kid, but my mom (despises politics and doesn't follow or vote) has repeated the same sentiments on the lunch program as BRB. I think everyone else that is defending the program makes valid points as well. When you go from American super sized portion unhealthy but delicious meals to a suggested serving size of some heathy bland stuff, it's gonna make people mad.

Yeah, I think there's a larger problem with our national eating habits that is going to make things difficult to achieve -- even when they should be.

In other news, Trump's Justice Dept. is prosecuting a protester: http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a54844/protester-laugh-jeff-sessions-trial/

Coverage also from libertarian rag Reason: http://reason.com/blog/2017/05/02/woman-prosecuted-for-laughing-at-jeff-se

Code Pink has been interrupting hearings on Capitol Hill for more than a decade, and their members have been arrested numerous times. Being prosecuted for allegedly laughing in an inappropriate manner, however, would be a new one. And not a great look for a notoriously thin-skinned administration.

Chilling protest should be chilling. In case it's not totally clear already, this administration intends to crush dissent -- and with a roaring crowd of supporters at their backs. We are foolish to downplay the danger.

• Fire 1

My DIL tells me that the kids were throwing out the good food and eating the slop when she worked as lunch lady.

Yup - also, the workers were feeling "frustrated and demotivated" that kids were throwing so much away that they'd worked on.

I agree with you Moraine - issue is I don't think many school lunches are serving up avocados and olives. It was the fried stuff (chicken fingers, burgers, pizza) that were changed and that upset people.

I wish they'd made these changes when I was in school - might have a better routine on veges and fruit than the carbo load we were served each day. I could have used the guidance, both in content and in calories.

BRB - is there anything that says your son couldn't buy two lunches if he was not getting enough? I remember some kids would do that on pizza day at my school. Just thinking out loud that if the calorie count is the issue then that's a solution. 800 is a pretty generous total for one meal.

It's an option at school. However, first time through the line you can only get one. You can go back for more.....however, there are two limitations.

The time limit for lunch is short enough that unless you're literally snarfing down the food, you might not have time to go back through the line and then sit down and eat again.

Also....the school prepares food to hopefully have just enough with very little left over. So, many times there isn't enough food for people to have seconds.

I was in NYC yesterday - and let me tell you how his trip was already impacting the city. 5th Ave closed down and traffic rerouted at 8am. I tried to fly out of LaGuardia mid afternoon and they too were adjusting to his visit. He did nobody any favors - and they HATE him there. His impact to traffic patterns and etc has only made him less popular in that city.

And this tweet goes out after it was disclosed that two weekends in FL cost us 1.2 million just in airfare for him to go to FL?

• Fire 2

Going after the opposition: http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/332132-fcc-probing-colberts-trump-putin-joke

Brought to you by the FCC chairman eager to take down Net Neutrality.

Note: I actually agree that Colbert's joke was in poor taste. It's the common sort of comedy that is fundamentally pretty demeaning to [in this case] gay people, except most people don't think about such things or want such sensitivities to get in the way of having a laugh at [gay people's] expense. But that's the stuff of critical op-eds and open and honest conversation, not bringing the FCC down to bear. If there were any consistency, how about any time Trump opens his mouth?

But of course there's no consistency, because this is entirely about harassing political opponents.

To me, the way he said it, it's not even a gay joke. It's a euphemism for totally caving to someone. Except for the word c$%k, it's no more offenisve or derogatory than talking about someone on their knees.

• Fire 1

I think that is a gay joke. The euphemism is clear, as you say. The scenario demonstrating that humiliating show of caving is a gay act. It's funny precisely because we all agree that a man doing this thing should be super, super embarrassing for him and make him the subject of general ridicule. It's also no more appropriate than to use this metaphor towards a woman.

Not trying to act high and mighty about this, to be clear. I saw and chuckled at that Donald-Vlad mural a ton of times without ever thinking about this. Likewise this is far from the first Trump/Putin ha-ha gay insinuation joke we've seen on the airwaves. It's really low hanging, unoriginal fruit at this point.

Going after the opposition: http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/332132-fcc-probing-colberts-trump-putin-joke

Brought to you by the FCC chairman eager to take down Net Neutrality.

Note: I actually agree that Colbert's joke was in poor taste. It's the common sort of comedy that is fundamentally pretty demeaning to [in this case] gay people, except most people don't think about such things or want such sensitivities to get in the way of having a laugh at [gay people's] expense. But that's the stuff of critical op-eds and open and honest conversation, not bringing the FCC down to bear. If there were any consistency, how about any time Trump opens his mouth?

But of course there's no consistency, because this is entirely about harassing political opponents.

As someone in the LGBTQIA community, I took zero offense to Colbert's joke.

I can't (and don't) speak for other folks in my community,

But as an American, as a veteran, as someone who loves this county, loves freedom, and opposes bigotry, hatred, intolerance, etc...I think Colbert's joke is not only appropriate, but 100% accurate.

• Fire 2