Repealing the ACA under Trump

Yes, there was a one time increase when insurers had to adopt the new provisions of the ACA. It is generally recognized that contributed about a 25% one time increase. But I'm going to have call bullsh#t on no increases in the 8 years prior to Obamacare. About the best cases show 8% to 12% annual increases pre ACA. The only way your premiums weren't increasing is if you were in an employer sponsored plan and the employer was absorbing those increases or your coverage and deductibles kept getting worse and worse. No way in hell premiums were not increasing on a major medical health plan. No chance, unless you're talking some type of aflac deal.

Post ACA the annual increases have been the same or more than prior. And I'm not basing this on just my premium experiences. I've looked at all small group plans available in the state of Colorado for about the last 15 years and have had numerous discussions with a broker about what has been happening industry wide.

Are you saying that the ACA caused a 25% one time increase in small group premiums? Can you expound on that as I have never heard that before.

Yes, that is what I'm saying. I think our small group premiums were set to increase about 32% when the ACA took effect. That is the main reason I dropped our company plan. I'm sure the percentage varied fairly widely between different plans but my broker always referred to it as X% normal increase and about 25% for the one time jump to ACA provisions. I mean it makes sense when all of a sudden insurers can't exclude sickies or pre-existing conditions and you're adding a whole bunch of people who hadn't even been able to acquire insurance before, doing away with lifetime limits etc. Allowing for the ACA provisions added a whole bunch of exposure for insurers.

fwiw.....i am starting to believe (fear...whatever) that trump is going to do away with obamacare and not replace it with anything. he is all about his bottom line and nothing else. unless he can make a profit from a new health care plan it will not happen.

It will be awfully easy to reduce the suffering and the uninsured to lazy louts who didn't deserve it anyway.

They don't need their votes, and never had them to begin with. And plenty of people are happy to believe in the unworthiness of others and their fitness to be punished for it.

fwiw.....i am starting to believe (fear...whatever) that trump is going to do away with obamacare and not replace it with anything. he is all about his bottom line and nothing else. unless he can make a profit from a new health care plan it will not happen.

He definitely has no plan whatsoever for health care outside of repealing anything with Obama's name on it.

He definitely has no plan whatsoever for health care outside of repealing anything with Obama's name on it.

I remember getting a chuckle out of a story about Trump's "plans". It was about a service member who was excited that Trump was going to come talk to them about his secret plan for ISIS. I'm having trouble finding it, but basically the gist was, "We've been fighting terrorists for a really long time, and if he really has a plan, we've at least got to hear him out... Maybe trying something different will work."

I was like, bruh... I've got a bridge to sell you.

This is my fear too. Although I think he may just be satisfied in repealing Obamacare and delusional enough to think free market competition will work for healthcare.

I am on record complaining about the ACA, particularly the mandate and how they rammed it through without reading the bill. But really much of it was a good thing and I've since changed my mind about the mandate. I mean I still don't like the general idea of the government forcing people to buy anything but it really is necessary to begin to make it work. If they would just tweak some things to get the costs under control, it would actually be quite a wonderful thing.

I think the most important thing for them to change is the name. The Affordable Care Act. Everyone knows that government bills do the exact opposite of what their names imply. The ACA proves this out by not being affordable. They should just change the name to The Expensive As Hell, Health Care Costs Spiraling Out Of Control Act, and then it might accomplish being reasonably affordable.

• Fire 3

Wow, JJ! It's so good to be finding this much common ground on this topic.

I agree about the name change. Healthcare is not an especially affordable thing (at least, it's not cheap). The ACA certainly wasn't going to make it so, not given the status quo that had existed before it.

I can see why they named it this way; arguably, people with pre-existing conditions could have bought healthcare before anyway, just at absurd prices. "Affordable" relative to that is not how people are going to interpret a law known as the ACA, though.

I like your proposed alternative. Set the expectations low. :)

• Fire 1

Maybe they didn't want to pay the penalty for not signing up?!?!?
Or, like me, they've found out how devastatingly detrimental the ACA is and they'd like it gone.

Are you sure the thing replacing it will be less detrimental?

Going back to the pre-ACA would be better. Not sure about what the current administration has planned but maybe we just have to get it jammed down our throats to see what it is, just like they did with the ACA.