Repealing the ACA under Trump

Correct me if I'm interpreting it wrong, but didn't Obama say the same basic thing?

Mr. Obama told the youth leaders gathered that he's not sure what the monthly cost of an iPhone is -- "I am not allowed for security reasons to have an iPhone," he said -- but that he expects that the cost of health coverage on the new Obamacare marketplaces is comparable. "The idea that you wouldn't want to make sure that you've got the health security and financial security...you guys are smarter than that," he said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-to-youth-leaders-health-care-worth-as-much-as-your-iphone/

Note: Repealing the ACA is dumb.

My wife works for one of the largest healthcare networks in the state of Florida (Adventist, which is natonal), and manages the team responsible for handling all the Medicare, medicaid, and insurance billing. She deals with numbers in the millions and billions. Hearing her talk about healthcare, the money involved, and how convoluted insurance is in the US, is mind boggling.

Also, here's a good breakdown (stolen from Reddit) of the proposal:

There's obviously a lot to digest here, but the key piece is the changed individual mandate. If you drop coverage for two months then you face a 30% surcharge for an entire year. This technically counts as a tax cut since that money goes to insurance companies instead of the government.

The insurance companies were generally happy with the ACA, but they're gonna cream their pants over this one.

Other highlights:

• Current Medicaid enrollees are grandfathered in, but no new enrollees after 2020. Effectively a gradual rollback of the Medicaid expansion. Replaced with block grants.

• Refundable tax credits based on age for everyone with less than $75,000 in income. It seems like this is a hard cutoff rather than a gradual reduction in tax credits based on income, which is insane.

• No denial of coverage for pre-existing conditions, but insurance companies can charge you more (they couldn't under the ACA). Actually I'm not sure about this. The pre-existing condition law stays but I'm not sure about the other stuff.

• No tax credits for plans that cover abortions.

• Defunds Planned Parenthood

• They devoted seven pages to preventing lottery winners from being on Medicaid.

• Repeals a law that capped healthcare CEO pay deductions at $500,000/yr. lmao...

• No more requirement to cover preventive care.

Bottom line: This will 100% cover less people than the ACA. The Medicaid expansion rollback alone makes sure of that.

Edit: I don't see how this could possibly pass. Like.... there's no way. It includes things like changing the age band for premiums from 3:1 to 5:1. You definitely can't do that through reconciliation which means they need 60 votes in the Senate. Even ignoring that, this bill will get accurately branded as Obamacare-lite. It's not nearly enough to get any Dems on board and the hardline right will hate it as well.

Edit2: According to a Bloomberg reporter, they're going to start committee votes on Wednesday, less than 48 hours after releasing the bill. There won't be a CBO score. They're trying to ram this through as fast as possible.

Edit3: "Rep. Jim Jordan of Freedom Caucus trashes bill: 'It's subsidies for unaffordable health care, subsidies for unaffordable premiums.'" Yeah... this sh#t isn't passing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/5xwx7v/house_gop_releases_bill_replacing_obama_health/delhlnp/?sh=30764192&st=IZZ3TUAB

That's what the conservative shows are all saying today, yes.

I wouldn't know, I don't watch TV news. But reading both statements, the appear to project the same message. There's a lot of things to get mad about, but this one seems like another distraction from the real issue. Our healthcare system is FUBAR.

Repealing the ACA isn't dumb. It's a bad bill.

Repealing it without having something in place that will actually cut costs of healthcare in the US why keeping people's coverage is dumb.

That's what I meant, sorry. As it stands now, the our healthcare system is screwed. It's "better" than it was pre-ACA, but it's still far from perfect.

Anecdote time. My parents don't make alot of money. Their premiums went up from about $50 a month to almost $500 /mo this year, with no changes. They couldn't pay it, so they dropped coverage (and didn't tell us). Yesterday, my mom fell and broke her wrist, and now they have no insurance to cover it. :facepalm:

Correct me if I'm interpreting it wrong, but didn't Obama say the same basic thing?

Mr. Obama told the youth leaders gathered that he's not sure what the monthly cost of an iPhone is -- "I am not allowed for security reasons to have an iPhone," he said -- but that he expects that the cost of health coverage on the new Obamacare marketplaces is comparable. "The idea that you wouldn't want to make sure that you've got the health security and financial security...you guys are smarter than that," he said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-to-youth-leaders-health-care-worth-as-much-as-your-iphone/

My wife works for one of the largest healthcare networks in the state of Florida (Adventist, which is natonal), and manages the team responsible for handling all the Medicare, medicaid, and insurance billing. She deals with numbers in the millions and billions. Hearing her talk about healthcare, the money involved, and how convoluted insurance is in the US, is mind boggling.

So $90-$150 a month should give 100% healthcare coverage then? Not so bad.

:ahhhhhhhh

So $90-$150 a month should give 100% healthcare coverage then? Not so bad.

:ahhhhhhhh

Ha, I wish that was remotely a real number.

Pardone my French, but why the f#*k are we defunding Planned Parenthood?

Because we are creating a Republican Utopia whereby all conservative hot-button issues, in this case abortion and birth control, are swept away from society.

This is to ignore that PP was created because there was demand for such services, and ignoring that if Republicans and their Christian allies are successful in eliminating PP entirely (a stated goal), such services will still be in demand - they'll just be harder to acquire.

• Fire 4