Republican Party

zoogs

Paul Ryan: GOP will defund Planned Parenthood

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/politics/paul-ryan-planned-parenthood-obamacare/

"Under the "Hyde amendment" that is attached to annual funding bills, no federal money is allowed to go to programs that include abortion services, unless they are needed to preserve the life of the mother or are caused by rape."

"The vast majority of federal money that Planned Parenthood does receive funds preventive health care, birth control, pregnancy tests, breast cancer screening and other womens health care services."

Big win for... right wing zealots? People who hate birth control? Those opposed to women having access to healthcare?

I don't know, man. I just don't know.

• Fire 4

Irony. I'm sure it's possible things have changed dramatically - but back when I was younger, PP was the place that all the holy rollers and "christian" girls went for birth control, exams and etc because they couldn't tell their family or their family doctor that they had sex or were thinking about it.

• Fire 4

GOP revives rule allowing $1 salaries for government employees

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/312797-house-gop-revive-rule-that-lets-lawmakers-slash-gov-employees

"House Republicans this week reinstated a procedural rule created in 1876 that allows lawmakers to cut the pay of individual federal workers down to $1, The Washington Post reported Thursday."

"The new rule follows requests by the Trump transition team for lists of the names of employees involved in specific programs, such as Energy Department scientists who have worked on climate change"

Paul Ryan: GOP will defund Planned Parenthood

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/politics/paul-ryan-planned-parenthood-obamacare/

"Under the "Hyde amendment" that is attached to annual funding bills, no federal money is allowed to go to programs that include abortion services, unless they are needed to preserve the life of the mother or are caused by rape."

"The vast majority of federal money that Planned Parenthood does receive funds preventive health care, birth control, pregnancy tests, breast cancer screening and other womens health care services."

Big win for... right wing zealots? People who hate birth control? Those opposed to women having access to healthcare?

I don't know, man. I just don't know.

We learn nothing from Texas...

Republican Cancer Survivor Tells Paul Ryan He "Would Be Dead" Without Obama

https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliareinstein/republican-cancer-survivor-tells-paul-ryan-he-would-be-dead?utm_term=.hiOe9aVr#.kaVXqKJZ

"Being both a small-business person and someone with preexisting conditions, I rely on the Affordable Care Act to be able to purchase my own insurance,” he said. “Why would you repeal the Affordable Care Act without a replacement?”

Speaker Ryan told Jeans, “We wouldn’t do that, we want to replace it with something better.”

Then what was with all that late night voting, Paul?

• Fire 1

6 Books That Explain How the GOP Went Crazy

Not long ago, another magazine asked me to recommend six books that explain something important about American politics. I chose six of my favorites that help elucidate the most important development of the last half-century in American politics: the Republican Party’s embrace of movement conservative ideology. No other major party in the advanced world rejects on principle any proposed tax-revenue increase, or denies the legitimacy of climate science, or opposes universal health care.

I was told my list could not be published because it was too partisan — to be suitable for publication, I would have to swap out some of the books I chose, and substitute some that made the case that the Democratic Party had also gone off the rails, for the sake of balance. I replied that I could not make this change because I don’t believe that the Democratic Party, in its current historical period, has gone off the rails. That doesn’t mean I consider the Democrats flawless, just that they are a normal party with normal problems. It contains a broad range of interest groups and politicians. Sometimes one interest group or another gains too much influence over a particular policy, and sometimes its leading politicians get greedy or make bad political decisions.

The GOP right now is an abnormal party. It does not resemble the major right-of-center parties found in other industrialized democracies. The most glaring manifestation of this is Donald Trump, the flamboyantly ignorant, authoritarian Republican president-elect. But for all his gross unsuitability for public office, Trump also grows out of longstanding trends within his party, which has previously elevated such anti-intellectual figures as George W. Bush and Sarah Palin as plausible leaders of the free world not despite but because of their disdain for empiricism. And it had grown increasingly suspicious of democracy even before a reality television star with a longstanding admiration for strongmen from Russia to Tiananmen Square came upon the scene — which is why the “mainstream” Paul Ryan wing has so willingly suborned Trump’s ongoing violations of governing norms.

It is still fashionable to regard the two parties today as broadly symmetrical to each other — as, indeed, they once were for many decades. But that quaint notion has blinded many of us to the radical turn the Republican Party has taken, and which has brought the American political system to a dangerous point.

• Fire 2

But, having just posted that ^^^^, here's why there's still great hope for the Republican Party. There are, mostly, good people in this party. Here's one recent example:

Lawmaker fires aide behind fake new site

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — A Maryland lawmaker has fired a legislative aide who was behind a fake news site that accused Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton of election-rigging.

Media outlets report that Del. David Vogt III said Wednesday he terminated Cameron Harris "on the spot" after learning that Harris was behind ChristianTimesNewspaper.com and a fabricated article that reported the discovery of tens of thousands of "fraudulent Clinton votes" in Ohio. Vogt is a Frederick County Republican.

Vogt says he was shocked when he read a New York Times story outlining Harris' creation of the story.

Harris recently graduated from Davidson College and had worked for the delegate since June. Harris apologized on Twitter to "those disappointed by my actions" and called for a "larger dialogue about how Americans approach the media" and other issues.

• Fire 2

What good does the Republican Party actually do for anyone?

If you've got billions in the bank, you've got a laundry list of things to be thankful to them for.

Otherwise, unless you're a masochist, they've done jack and s*** since the late 90s. About the same time this current zealotry from the Christian Right reared its ugly head (this time around) via Newt Gingrich.

• Fire 2