Husker Coordinators

Mavric

And for some reason some games he would throw that ball very well then the next he couldn't hit it or ignored it.

I re watched the first half pass plays today to watch the line play.

I remember at least twice on YOLO passes that ended drives there were relievers underneath or in the flats open that would have gotten the first down. If he hits those the drive stays alive. He was oblivious to them.

I'm betting the Alabama QB would not have ignored them for a covered receiver 40 yards down field.

That's not the play call's fault.

These arguments are always one-sided - pointing to the time that TA passed on another throw.

My argument is that there are other games when we were calling different types of pass plays that didn't have the deep options for TA to choose. There were several games where we almost exclusively had short routes and TA had high completion percentages those games.

My point is we did not seem to be calling those same types of plays in other games. That is the play caller's fault.

Not exactly, its not that easy. Predictably on offense is a great way to get stopped by even a mediocre defense. Langsdorf did a good job of mixing up his attack and trying to exploit an opponents weaknesses but to do that you need a more polished passer and that's not Armstrongs forte.

The only thing I will slam Langsdorf for is not using the QB run more last year, this year with the Line situation most of his strengths were negated against good teams. Thus the yolo bombs. Let him throw it up there and see if he can make a big play.

This years offense was a unit playing hurt and limited on playbook, most of our running plays we couldn't even call due to injuries/incompetence.

Lets be patient before we ride Langsdorf too hard.

Well it pretty much is that simple. We did basically that in at least four games this year and probably five.

I'm not saying never throw deep. A couple times here and there will keep them honest. But there's no reason to do it a dozen times a game. And especially on about every third and 6 we come across.

I agree the 3rd and six calls drove me crazy too. Problem is you show me a game where Tommy is good throwing the short and medium passes and i can show you a game, like the game vs Iowa where if he doesn't shoot a laser right at Stanley Morgan he completes that pass. It seems like every game we can go back and find those passes, his poor choices aren't just reading coverage's but also on how much strength he's putting behind throws.

When Tommy is on his game your argument is sound but he has never been that consistent. Langsdorf did his best with the little he had and we went 9-3. I'll pass judgement on him when he has a full roster of his guys. And if he is still making those same boneheaded calls ill be right here with ya cussing up a storm.

Tommy is not consistent over the long haul. But he was pretty consistent this year when given a heavy dose of short, easy passes where he didn't have to lead receivers.

On a short term (one game) basis, you have to be pretty consistent to complete 62.1%, 69.6% and 70.4% (plus the game where Ryker completed 62.2%).

agreed again, but thats just 3 games out of the twelve and against less than fantastic defenses. Tommy, like this team, can dominant lesser opponents, but against more aggressive and skilled DB's those options weren't open consistently enough. This got Tommy frustrated, he starts forcing, and here we go again more yolo bombs...

Eh, we're going to have to agree to disagree. You keep saying they weren't there. I contend we didn't call the same pass plays all the way through.

And for some reason some games he would throw that ball very well then the next he couldn't hit it or ignored it.

I remember at least twice on YOLO passes that ended drives there were relievers underneath or in the flats open that would have gotten the first down. If he hits those the drive stays alive. He was oblivious to them.

I'm betting the Alabama QB would not have ignored them for a covered receiver 40 yards down field.

These arguments are always one-sided - pointing to the time that TA passed on another throw.

My argument is that there are other games when we were calling different types of pass plays that didn't have the deep options for TA to choose. There were several games where we almost exclusively had short routes and TA had high completion percentages those games.

My point is we did not seem to be calling those same types of plays in other games. That is the play caller's fault.

Not exactly, its not that easy. Predictably on offense is a great way to get stopped by even a mediocre defense. Langsdorf did a good job of mixing up his attack and trying to exploit an opponents weaknesses but to do that you need a more polished passer and that's not Armstrongs forte.

The only thing I will slam Langsdorf for is not using the QB run more last year, this year with the Line situation most of his strengths were negated against good teams. Thus the yolo bombs. Let him throw it up there and see if he can make a big play.

This years offense was a unit playing hurt and limited on playbook, most of our running plays we couldn't even call due to injuries/incompetence.

Well it pretty much is that simple. We did basically that in at least four games this year and probably five.

I'm not saying never throw deep. A couple times here and there will keep them honest. But there's no reason to do it a dozen times a game. And especially on about every third and 6 we come across.

I agree the 3rd and six calls drove me crazy too. Problem is you show me a game where Tommy is good throwing the short and medium passes and i can show you a game, like the game vs Iowa where if he doesn't shoot a laser right at Stanley Morgan he completes that pass. It seems like every game we can go back and find those passes, his poor choices aren't just reading coverage's but also on how much strength he's putting behind throws.

When Tommy is on his game your argument is sound but he has never been that consistent. Langsdorf did his best with the little he had and we went 9-3. I'll pass judgement on him when he has a full roster of his guys. And if he is still making those same boneheaded calls ill be right here with ya cussing up a storm.

Tommy is not consistent over the long haul. But he was pretty consistent this year when given a heavy dose of short, easy passes where he didn't have to lead receivers.

On a short term (one game) basis, you have to be pretty consistent to complete 62.1%, 69.6% and 70.4% (plus the game where Ryker completed 62.2%).

agreed again, but thats just 3 games out of the twelve and against less than fantastic defenses. Tommy, like this team, can dominant lesser opponents, but against more aggressive and skilled DB's those options weren't open consistently enough. This got Tommy frustrated, he starts forcing, and here we go again more yolo bombs...

Eh, we're going to have to agree to disagree. You keep saying they weren't there. I contend we didn't call the same pass plays all the way through.

Of course we didn't. We played different teams with different defensive tendencies which requires different offensive play calling.

Of course we didn't. We played different teams with different defensive tendencies which requires different offensive play calling.

You're assuming they required different play calling.

If one set of play calling yields 60%+ completion percentage and another set of play calling yields <40%, it would seem like the former would be the way to go more often. We didn't do that.

If one set of play calling yields 60%+ completion percentage and another set of play calling yields <40%, it would seem like the former would be the way to go more often. We didn't do that.

I'm going to assume by your answer that you don't know/understand football nearly as much as you try to portray because different defenses DO require different strategies to beat. This includes calling different plays. (That is an incontorvertible fact for us because we don't have the talent to impose our will on anyone.) Imo, you are blinded by your hate for this staff. This is evidenced by the "list" you posted in another thread, part of which called for the termination of multiple coaches.

Like Stumpy said, the short passes were there every game, Armstrong chose to throw the yolo bombs. Maybe do some reading at huskerchalktalk.com for some insight into why we attack defenses in the manner that we do.

• Fire 1

I'm going to assume by your answer that you don't know/understand football nearly as much as you try to portray because different defenses DO require different strategies to beat. This includes calling different plays. (That is an incontorvertible fact for us because we don't have the talent to impose our will on anyone.) Imo, you are blinded by your hate for this staff. This is evidenced by the "list" you posted in another thread, part of which called for the termination of multiple coaches.

Like Stumpy said, the short passes were there every game, Armstrong chose to throw the yolo bombs. Maybe do some reading at huskerchalktalk.com for some insight into why we attack defenses in the manner that we do.

No, you just continue to assume that the only reason to run different plays is because we were forced to because we faced a "different defense." You have nothing to back up your claim, that's just what you want to believe. Playing different teams *can* make you do different things. That doesn't necessarily mean you *have* to do different things. But you don't seem to care about that distinction.

Langsdorf said after the Ohio State game that they thought going in that we could beat Ohio State deep. They didn't make us throw it deep. We though we could. But we were wrong. It seems to me that the vast majority of the play deep throws are in the same boat. Even if you think you can beat a team deep, repeatedly trying it on 3rd & 6 is not the way to find out.

No, you just continue to assume that the only reason to run different plays is because we were forced to because we faced a "different defense." You have nothing to back up your claim, that's just what you want to believe. Playing different teams *can* make you do different things. That doesn't necessarily mean you *have* to do different things. But you don't seem to care about that distinction.

Langsdorf said after the Ohio State game that they thought going in that we could beat Ohio State deep. They didn't make us throw it deep. We though we could. But we were wrong. It seems to me that the vast majority of the play deep throws are in the same boat. Even if you think you can beat a team deep, repeatedly trying it on 3rd & 6 is not the way to find out.

Actually, I CAN back it up. Go to www.huskerchalktalk.com and do some educating.

The only one making Tommy throw it deep, is Tommy. No one but Tommy is on the field making incorrect reads.

• Fire 1

Actually, I CAN back it up. Go to www.huskerchalktalk.com and do some educating.

The only one making Tommy throw it deep, is Tommy. No one but Tommy is on the field making incorrect reads.

Which article would you like me to read?

What are y'all thoughts on our S&C coach + athletic trainers?

Our lines seemed to be weaker than our opposition's lines, unless playing against obviously inferior talent. In the past (90's and, at times, 00's) our lines looked stronger, and generally were stronger.

The past couple years have shown our lines, overall (there were a few standouts), didn't move the opposition as effectively off the line; and typically didn't look all that intimidating compared to our upper tiered competition.

Our depth took a hit as well; I find it difficult to blame this on the S&C coach; as injuries happen to all teams; but it seems as if many of our players had "nagging" injuries and those kept reoccurring throughout the season and kept players from performing 100% and hurt depth during the game (as another player could have suited up). Aren't the AT's supposed to keep that in check?

I'm tired of Banker because of all of the big plays we give up. Am I the only one who has noticed that many of the TDs we gave up this season were either on long runs or short passes that turned into long runs?

I think you'll find that missed tackles and over-running the play were the culprits on many, if not all, of the TD's. Unless Banker had on a uniform, it's hard to blame him.

I'm tired of Banker because of all of the big plays we give up. Am I the only one who has noticed that many of the TDs we gave up this season were either on long runs or short passes that turned into long runs?

I think you'll find that missed tackles and over-running the play were the culprits on many, if not all, of the TD's. Unless Banker had on a uniform, it's hard to blame him.

Yes, missed tackles were an issue. Yes, players need to learn how to not miss tackles. But who teaches them technique on how to not miss tackles?

Can anyone explain why the deep out and slot/te out seems open a lot against us?

For starters, if it's the Slot we like to try to have the LB split the difference between covering the slot and supporting the run so they have a lot of ground to cover to get to the out. Also, our LBs attack the run hard so any play-action gets them way out of position and they have trouble getting back into the passing lanes.

The easiest route to throw against us in the fly/out combination. The Fly route from the outside WR clears out the CB and we aren't in very good position with anyone else to cover the out.