Two years in....no growth

Whiffs in recruiting are high. That arguement is full of flaws. Read a recruiting analysis a few years back and nearly 15% of incoming recruits never see the field or never even play at school they signed with. Don't quote me on that percent, but it was higher than most would think. It does make some sense.

Recruiting larger numbers is the key. Getting more key walk on's is also a key. Diamond in the rough.

Basically if you don't have an elite or close to an elite QB your on the struggle bus. I don't care if that QB is a runner or passer, he has to have some special qualities. Tommy gave his all, but never did progress much as a passer, and being banged up, never could run at full speed the last half of the year.

If you have an elite QB, you will get receivers, and lineman. Can't keep getting average QB play from average QB's and expect to ever go anywhere. Zac Taylor was the last decent QB to play here.

Need a receiver like Purify. Could this upcoming class possess some of those players? Sure. Will the y be Big 10 caliber or Pac 12? Finesse or power?

Bad coaching disguises good talent.

Far more than bad talent disguises good coaching.

Wake up.

I'd say good coaching disguised a 7-8 win team and got us 9 wins. Heck maybe 10 if they can get the right bowl matchup. Not to mention they are running an offense they have to run not one they want to run.

You never bothered to wonder why your lord and savior Bo Pelini couldn't do better than 9-4/10-4 in his 7 seasons? Lack of talent bc he didn't recruit enough of it. He put a ceiling on the program that can only be broken through with recruiting and development.

Whether Riley does that remains to be seen but I can hardly hold a 9 or 10 win season against him in year 2.

We won at least 9 every year under Bo. When MR was hired it was stated that there would be no regression to rebuild. Last year was worse than Callahan, and this year we had the easiest schedule in the history of college football, and did worse than any of Bo's seasons.
This statement is so incorrect that it's laughable. Road trips to Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Iowa is not an easy schedule.
It was quite as hyperbolic as his statement, but according to Sagarin, this is our weakest schedule since 2003.
  • Fire 1

The schedule was weak. Yes Wisky, Ohio ST and Iowa on the road are not easy games, but You have to win one of those games if your trending in the right direction. Purdue came into our house and almost won, Illini could have won.......those teams are not Nebraska.

Losing at Ohio St is not an embarrassment, but losing by 63 is acceptable. If you lose that game 42-21, at least you had some fight. 40-10 to Iowa is unacceptable. NO reason for that.

Schedule or not, your not going to have a much easier schedule than this one. No Michigan, No Penn St, no Sparty. This could have been much tougher and yes 5-7 would have been realistic.

Bad coaching disguises good talent.

Far more than bad talent disguises good coaching.

Wake up.

I'd say good coaching disguised a 7-8 win team and got us 9 wins. Heck maybe 10 if they can get the right bowl matchup. Not to mention they are running an offense they have to run not one they want to run.

You never bothered to wonder why your lord and savior Bo Pelini couldn't do better than 9-4/10-4 in his 7 seasons? Lack of talent bc he didn't recruit enough of it. He put a ceiling on the program that can only be broken through with recruiting and development.

Whether Riley does that remains to be seen but I can hardly hold a 9 or 10 win season against him in year 2.

We won at least 9 every year under Bo. When MR was hired it was stated that there would be no regression to rebuild. Last year was worse than Callahan, and this year we had the easiest schedule in the history of college football, and did worse than any of Bo's seasons.
This statement is so incorrect that it's laughable. Road trips to Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Iowa is not an easy schedule.

This is one of the easiest schedules we've had in years. Did we get a bad draw with OSU at home? Sure. But there is no reason for us to not have 11 wins with this schedule.

• Fire 1

Whiffs in recruiting are high. That arguement is full of flaws. Read a recruiting analysis a few years back and nearly 15% of incoming recruits never see the field or never even play at school they signed with. Don't quote me on that percent, but it was higher than most would think. It does make some sense.

Recruiting larger numbers is the key. Getting more key walk on's is also a key. Diamond in the rough.

How many coaching staffs whiff on consecutive classes of linemen like the last one did?

I understand perfectly well that there are always some players that just don't pan out for a wide variety of reasons but you can't build an offensive line when you whiff on consecutive classes of linemen. You need to hit pay dirt with at least a few of them and for a couple years in a row that didn't happen and now it's biting us in the derrier.

How can you tell if there's a true wiff when there's a coaching change? Maybe under the old staff a guy like thurston flourishes.

And people need to stop pretending NU is the youngest or least deep OL out there. Georgia tech just beat a much more talented team with like 3 freshman OL playing. Iowa was younger and less deep than NU.

time to fire another 9-3 coach? seems to be the prevailing attitude with Nebraska fans.

Yeah, that's the thing. You fire a coach, any coach, and it sets your program back a couple of years. At some point your need to pick a guy and stick with him. I think Riley gathered a pretty good staff around him. And recruiting seems to be going well. So there's that. :dunno:

Yep, not to mention he is still using a team full of Bo's players, it is hard to turn a culture around in two years without a team full of players that he recruited. So all of this doom and gloom is ridiculous at this point. With that said the only thing that is alarming on the season to me is the no show today by the defense. Our LB's have been overaggressive and bad for stretches this season especially MRI, but today it was like we didn't put any on the field.

Oh good, the "culture" excuse again.

Except...to ANYONE who was looking, there was a culture issue. Just because people don't want to see or acknowledge it doesn't mean that it didn't exist. Players AND coaches (including a former volleyball coach) have made comments regarding the culture and buy-in issues. The information is out there if you care to accept it.

I'll take a former coaches word on the culture issue before I accept anyone's opinion that has zero contact with the program.

Huh, funny. I was taking the word of Riley himself when he said it wasn't an issue. How long can we use it as an excuse?

time to fire another 9-3 coach? seems to be the prevailing attitude with Nebraska fans.

Yeah, that's the thing. You fire a coach, any coach, and it sets your program back a couple of years. At some point your need to pick a guy and stick with him. I think Riley gathered a pretty good staff around him. And recruiting seems to be going well. So there's that. :dunno:

Yep, not to mention he is still using a team full of Bo's players, it is hard to turn a culture around in two years without a team full of players that he recruited. So all of this doom and gloom is ridiculous at this point. With that said the only thing that is alarming on the season to me is the no show today by the defense. Our LB's have been overaggressive and bad for stretches this season especially MRI, but today it was like we didn't put any on the field.

Except...to ANYONE who was looking, there was a culture issue. Just because people don't want to see or acknowledge it doesn't mean that it didn't exist. Players AND coaches (including a former volleyball coach) have made comments regarding the culture and buy-in issues. The information is out there if you care to accept it.

I'll take a former coaches word on the culture issue before I accept anyone's opinion that has zero contact with the program.

Huh, funny. I was taking the word of Riley himself when he said it wasn't an issue. How long can we use it as an excuse?

Last year Riley did say it wasn't an issue, but this year both him and players, MRI comes to mind, have come out and said yes it was an issue. I guess you chose to ignore those statements since they don't fit your agenda.

He's hosting 5-stars on a consistent basis. That alone is more than Bo

Hosting them is one thing, closing them and getting them to sign is another.

Agreed!

The first part of closing/signing is trying to recruit them in the first place. Part of that process in modern recruiting is getting them to visit. If I remember correctly, many of these 4 and 5 star kids are using an official visit to come here. They are choosing to use one of their official visits to come see our program and I see all of this as progress in recruiting, and yes, I understand that we still need to start landing some of those kids. And I look forward to it. :)

and when it doesn't happen?????

Last year Riley did say it wasn't an issue, but this year both him and players, MRI comes to mind, have come out and said yes it was an issue. I guess you chose to ignore those statements since they don't fit your agenda.

The only agenda I have is to see my team be successful. But by all means, explain with actual facts how "culture" is why we lost to Iowa and OSU 102-13.

The only agenda I have is to see my team be successful. But by all means, explain with actual facts how "culture" is why we lost to Iowa and OSU 102-13.

The thing you have to remember is that "culture" comes and goes. It's "culture" when you're losing to a lot of bad teams and starting out 3-6. But then it's the coaches doing a great job when you win 10 out of 11 games including beating Michigan State and UCLA. But then the "culture" shows back up again when you lose 3 of your last 5 and get blown out twice.

I know it can be hard to keep up but you have to try.

• Fire 2