Where I'm at after 2 years... (TL;DR)

Redux

Weird how perceptions change, huh?

At the beginning of the season we all would have been pretty jazzed with the notion of going 9-3. But then it happens and we look at the context and decide that instead of, "Yay, this was pretty cool" we decide, "Ew. This is it?"

You can't fault people for feeling that way. Yes 9-3 is great but look at our wins during the season. You could argue that our best win was either against Minnesota or Wyoming but when it came time to win the games that really mattered, we flat out didn't come to play and got embarrassed (besides Wisconsin).

Weird how perceptions change, huh?

At the beginning of the season we all would have been pretty jazzed with the notion of going 9-3. But then it happens and we look at the context and decide that instead of, "Yay, this was pretty cool" we decide, "Ew. This is it?"

You can't fault people for feeling that way. Yes 9-3 is great but look at our wins during the season. You could argue that our best win was either against Minnesota or Wyoming but when it came time to win the games that really mattered, we flat out didn't come to play and got embarrassed (besides Wisconsin).

Also, the concept of 9-3 before the season was seen as an "improvement" because last season was a complete disaster.

• Fire 1

The angst is understandable with the blowouts this year and many not originally supportive of the Riley hire.

However, overall I do think we have an upgraded staff sans Read. Despite Tommy's shortcomings, we had the best QB play we've seen since before Martinez got hurt during his freshman year. With a "legit" QB I think we'll see an immediate positive difference in consistency from the position. And assuming future QBs are leaders, I think we'll have a more cohesive team. (This doesn't mean Taylor/Tommy aren't leaders, just that its harder to be a follower when the leader's performance is inconsistent.)

I think if we're able to see a talent upgrade next year, and maybe a coaching change or two, even if the record won't necessarily reflect it, we'll continue a consistent upward trajectory in performance.

• Fire 1

Looking back, I think the biggest areas of disappointment (or that I expected to play much better anyway) was the offense and special teams. Special teams can easily be improved or should be so. Find a better punter and PRACTICE differently. Offense is another story though. I was quite confident that we'd see another 10 points and 100 yards a game of offensive output. I thought we'd have several 30 plus point wins and the close ones would have another TD or so of seperation. I didn't expect to win more than about 9 or 10 so that came in at about where I expected. But I didn't see ANY bad losses, much less 30 to 60 point blowouts. Those are stinkers for me. They need to take a couple extra showers after this one to wash the disgust off before the bowl game prep begins. A whole new attitude and renewed desire to play hard for 60 minutes and to play their best MUST be adapted by this bunch of players and coaches. A serious fire in their belly must be rekindled.

The 'quit' factor must be immediately stomped out before it grows into a chronic issue. If Ohio State had not let off the gas, that one would have been 2 4th Qtr TDs worse. Another quarter yesterday and Iowa would have put 60 on us. Iowa! They are not exactly a scoring explosion nor are they even top 20 level. They played well in Nov while Nebraska is heading south. Why? Injuries and attitude and competition playing harder that we are capable of apparently.

I hope it is true that we are really redshirting a bunch (fifteen or so starters) of guys (O line, TEs, WRs, RB, QBs, DL, DE, LBs, DBs, PUNTER) because we need them to be prime time ready to play out of the gate in September, 2017 or 2017 will be the longest season in about 50 decades.

Is there a statistic kept for 'playing time' accumulated for underclassment each year? I have been critical that we have not been playing our younger guys enough for since Tom retired. I was hoping Riley had the greenlight from the AD to rebuild and not repeat the same mistakes as prior coaching staffs. Many dismiss the value of live game experience but I think it is very important.

I'm pretty optimistic for next year but I think this roster really needs to be upgraded everywhere and I'm not sure we are just one year away in doing that. A good QB could do wonders for this team though, we'll have to see there.

Watching Ohio State and Michigan, hardly any of our guys could play for them. Westy could probably play and a few others could crack their 2-deeps but that's it. Both of these teams are 10-1. So thinking the 2016 Huskers should have been 11-1 while starting guys like Utter and Dzuris is lunacy. It's a long road to get near their talent level.

I guaranty that no other program in the conference is saying that they don't want to play for a conference championship. Or saying that they only want to play in the CCG if they can draw a perceived lesser team (presumably don't want to play and lose kind of thinking). Nope. Everyone else wants to get a shot. One game, for the trophy. I doubt Wisconsin is saying, boy we really hope tOSU wins or PSU or whatever. They want to beat Minnesota today and go to Indy and lace 'em up against whoever shows up on the other sideline. I have never met anyone who gets excited about a lesser bowl, or worries about a matchup against some 6 win FCS school so that their team can "win" an exhibition game. Bowls mean exposure, extra practice time and a nice trip and some swag for the players. A few bowls have significance...the rest not so much.

GBR!

• Fire 1

A lot of things have to go right for us to contend for a conference title next season. We'll be breaking in a new QB. That QB will either be a freshman or a transfer from Tulane. Hard to be optimistic about that position alone. Throw in a young, inexperienced Oline, inexperienced linebackers, and still no defensive ends on the horizon. A perfect storm has to happen for us to be where we want to be. We are not there yet and it will be at least two years before we can realistically hope to contend.

I'm pretty optimistic for next year but I think this roster really needs to be upgraded everywhere and I'm not sure we are just one year away in doing that. A good QB could do wonders for this team though, we'll have to see there.

Watching Ohio State and Michigan, hardly any of our guys could play for them. Westy could probably play and a few others could crack their 2-deeps but that's it. Both of these teams are 10-1. So thinking the 2016 Huskers should have been 11-1 while starting guys like Utter and Dzuris is lunacy. It's a long road to get near their talent level.

I'm watching OSU/Michigan and I feel exactly the same way you do. They are so much faster than our guys.