Sipple: No good excuses for being pummeled by ordinary Iowa team

Saunders

Sipple is spot on...its just ironic to see him call out the NU coaching staff so soon after he waited years to do so with Pelini. Hopefully Riley will feel the pressure and make some coaching changes. We are seeing first hand with Harbaugh what a great coach can do for a program in the 2nd year. We also see programs like Texas not allow the bleeding to go on for more than 3 years when the results are not there.

Why did Iowa beat Nebraska 40-10?

Because offensively we had to rely on a Quarterback with a busted hamstring to chuck it around who has never been that accurate chucking it around. Defensively I have no clue what the hell happened, that was just piss poor on staff and players alike.

This is not what we HAD to do.

It is what we chose to do.

Darlington and Fyfe should have been taking snaps after the first half. It was obvious to anyone watching that TA was going to be ineffective.

I loveTommy, but he was not going to win the game for us with his situation. He lacked any kind of touch he could of had passing, and he couldn't run for more than 2 yards. That takes away probably 75% of our offense. Why OCDL didn't see this? No clue...

• Fire 1

I think I have read every excuse possible. To sum up, the officials had it in for us, we were injured, our mobile QB wasn't able to be mobile, we are better than every opponent we play.

Sorry, none of that is true. Every team has injuries. The successful ones have the next man in step up. TA played because he was the best option we had. Period. That's it. We aren't "Better than Iowa" the scoreboard and stats proved that. We want to be, we really want to be, but the reality is that we are better than Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland...that's where our program is.

• Fire 2

We should not lose to Iowa. That is not entitled, it's the truth. Sorry, not sorry if it offends a Hawkeye. We have been more talented than Iowa across the board every year we played. This school has the money, resources, and fan base to make Iowa our KSU; the administration and coaches have been lacking.

We have a sorely bagned up O line with no depth. And our mobile QB was immobile and even more ineffective throwing because of it. That is why we lost. You go up against a healthy TA or O line and Iowa is not coming away with a win.

Maybe in some years, but losing at Iowa isn't surprising this year. We've been smoke and mirrors all year because we can't control the line of scrimmage. Iowa has better players than we do on the lines whether people want to admit it or not. Mix in a hobbled running QB and you've got a butt kicking.

• Fire 1

Imho...you lost because your program is built around a few select star players. Iowa played you with our own banged up QB wearing a damn keg under his jersey and without our best receiver. We max out our 2 star utility players on both sides of the ball and your coach hasn't had time to do it yet. We r predictable. Riley doesn't have to be. That might be your key to a conference championship someday. Calling your Iowa loss unacceptable is an entitled losing attitude that I guarantee Michigan didn't adopt and you are no Michigan...yet. Was this not a good season for you?

No. this was an average season for us, sadly. Average is NOT Nebraska as you seem to suggest in your attitude. Iowas is average. We got blown out by average. That is not acceptable.

If the coaches knew Tommy couldn't be a playmaker with his feet, he shouldn't have been out there. I don't care how much competitive spirit or toughness he has, losing his only threat limits the playcalling, effectiveness, and keeps the defense balanced. Tommy isn't a pocket passer and we saw that again, he can't survey a field and make the right read often enough, settling for the YOLO bomb 9x out of 10. So, I don't know why DL didn't call more quick hittters to WR at the LOS or behind, and utilize the strength of our WRs. Tommy missed Westy early and I don't know if they ever went back to it, like they did in the Minnesota game for many completions. It's frustrating when Tommy completely misses an open receiver, let alone doesn't find him, but it's bad coaching when DL abandons what works for Tommy because he gets desperate himself.

Players didn't come to play, coaches didn't prepare this team, Iowa played Big 10 football and laid it to us. Perfect recipe for 40-10

If the coaches knew Tommy couldn't be a playmaker with his feet, he shouldn't have been out there. I don't care how much competitive spirit or toughness he has, losing his only threat limits the playcalling, effectiveness, and keeps the defense balanced. Tommy isn't a pocket passer and we saw that again, he can't survey a field and make the right read often enough, settling for the YOLO bomb 9x out of 10. So, I don't know why DL didn't call more quick hittters to WR at the LOS or behind, and utilize the strength of our WRs. Tommy missed Westy early and I don't know if they ever went back to it, like they did in the Minnesota game for many completions. It's frustrating when Tommy completely misses an open receiver, let alone doesn't find him, but it's bad coaching when DL abandons what works for Tommy because he gets desperate himself.

Players didn't come to play, coaches didn't prepare this team, Iowa played Big 10 football and laid it to us. Perfect recipe for 40-10

He did and Tommy missed those too. Guy can't even hit a quick screen much of the time

• Fire 1

We should not lose to Iowa. That is not entitled, it's the truth. Sorry, not sorry if it offends a Hawkeye. We have been more talented than Iowa across the board every year we played. This school has the money, resources, and fan base to make Iowa our KSU; the administration and coaches have been lacking.

We have a sorely bagned up O line with no depth. And our mobile QB was immobile and even more ineffective throwing because of it. That is why we lost. You go up against a healthy TA or O line and Iowa is not coming away with a win.

Maybe in some years, but losing at Iowa isn't surprising this year. We've been smoke and mirrors all year because we can't control the line of scrimmage. Iowa has better players than we do on the lines whether people want to admit it or not. Mix in a hobbled running QB and you've got a butt kicking.

Surprising. No, but I still think we have the better players on the line for the most part. Injuries and no depth behind the starters was a huge equalizer though. That is where Iowa is better.

He did and Tommy missed those too. Guy can't even hit a quick screen much of the time

Yeah, and DL stopped calling them too and made TA become a pocket passer. The best pass Tommy made was rolling out and a heckuva catch by Stanley for the TD. I'd rather see Tommy sail the over their heads a few more times than let one loose or get one batted at the line, which happened all game too. Which I'll go back to my ultimate point, the coaches didn't prepare this team well for this game. TA shouldn't have played or played that much.

Yeah, and DL stopped calling them too and made TA become a pocket passer. The best pass Tommy made was rolling out and a heckuva catch by Stanley for the TD. I'd rather see Tommy sail the over their heads a few more times than let one loose or get one batted at the line, which happened all game too. Which I'll go back to my ultimate point, the coaches didn't prepare this team well for this game. TA shouldn't have played or played that much.

Maybe he shouldn't have played but it's not like they had a great alternative in Fyfe.

Maybe he shouldn't have played but it's not like they had a great alternative in Fyfe.

Especially with having the bum wrist. I'd be willing to bet Fyfe would have started if 100%, but that's neither here nor there. They had no game plan for this week on offense.

I don't understand what happened defensively...bad angles, bad reads, and no playmakers. That was the game to lean on the defense and they failed just as bad as the offense.

really you mean we would have scored more than 40 huh?

really you mean we would have scored more than 40 huh?

This isn't basketball - where both teams get the same amount of possessions (score or no score). If our offense could have produced our defense would have seen the field less. 24 or 27 points would have been the # to get.

• Fire 1

Go back to NU being NU. Its who we were and are.... We need a dose of physicality across the board.

Look at the Get along gangs productivity and results at OSU.......... Why would a career .504 coach, who brought his staff (that many OSU wanted gone years ago) have better results here?

Because 504 is amazing at OSU. In my four years at OSU, we won 5 games.....total.
No one cares about this. Yes he is a .500 coach at a program that was .400 before he arrived, what do people expect?? This is a case previous record is not determinant of how Riley might do here

But it just might be. Why do we think a coach that has not had overwhelming success anywhere will here?

Anderson got worked over in his first year at OSU...this year they had a lot of closer games but mostly still losses. They have their best recruiting class coming in forever and right now they are ranked 6th in the Pac12...Riley was usually ranked around 9.

Anderson seems to be proving that you can in fact recruit (a little bit) to OSU and that their weight room is not just two mismatched dumbbells and a solo-flex...It will not shock me at all if they win 7 games next year and start an upward swing.

you do realize they are 2-6 in the pac12 and tied with 3 other teams? and depending on how they fare against oregon could put them right back in that 9 spot.

Go back to NU being NU. Its who we were and are.... We need a dose of physicality across the board.

Look at the Get along gangs productivity and results at OSU.......... Why would a career .504 coach, who brought his staff (that many OSU wanted gone years ago) have better results here?

Because 504 is amazing at OSU. In my four years at OSU, we won 5 games.....total.

No one cares about this. Yes he is a .500 coach at a program that was .400 before he arrived, what do people expect?? This is a case previous record is not determinant of how Riley might do here

But it just might be. Why do we think a coach that has not had overwhelming success anywhere will here?

Anderson got worked over in his first year at OSU...this year they had a lot of closer games but mostly still losses. They have their best recruiting class coming in forever and right now they are ranked 6th in the Pac12...Riley was usually ranked around 9.

Anderson seems to be proving that you can in fact recruit (a little bit) to OSU and that their weight room is not just two mismatched dumbbells and a solo-flex...It will not shock me at all if they win 7 games next year and start an upward swing.

you do realize they are 2-6 in the pac12 and tied with 3 other teams? and depending on how they fare against oregon could put them right back in that 9 spot.

Recruiting rankings...they are ranked 6th in the Pac12 in recruiting rankings.