How far are we behind the top teams in Big Ten

What needs to change? TALENT. Notice how their o-lines open up holes and how their backs explode out of the backfield for big gains (talking about last night's championship)? Now go back to last week and think of a time we did that against Iowa. No holes and Newby falls down the first time he's touched. See the issue? We don't have enough difference makers. Certainly not on either line. How can we compete when we don't have enough talent?

Talent is the obvious answer. Who watched the championship games yesterday and thought we had the same talent those other teams had? Anybody? Even our strength and conditioning guru has said we're a few years away from the big boys. Did you watch Alabama? Who cracks their two deep from our team? Nobody. Who cracks the two deep on Clemson from our team? Nobody. Washington? Ohio State?

Now I'm reading posts saying we better compete next year for the West title. With what? With our brand new, lights out defensive ends? Our new linebacking corp? How about our "Lockdown U" secondary that got torched by OSU? Our brand new QB? The same bums on the o-line? Who are these difference makers who weren't good enough to see the field this season? On paper, we're a 6 win team next season with a bunch of new/young players. We need to be patient while Riley brings us some horses and coaches them up.

During the Iowa game, I heard the announcer say that we were the best fourth quarter team in the country. Then Bellotti, the color guy said this, "Yeah, if it's still a game by then." Who else heard that? Even the announcers know we're not very good. We hear the digs every week, but there are a lot of us who are blind to this. We are a middle Big Ten team who hasn't won a conference championship since 2001. Let that reality sink in. Temper your unrealistic expectations. When you do, you'll be less frustrated.

Now let's get behind Riley and this staff because the alternative is firing him and setting the program back even further.

They also bagged on our offensive play calling.....no disagreeing with you at all. We have several issues. Talent, coaching, lack of development......Cav and his "chemistry" theory over making a good OL...... works unless we have injuries, or no depth or lack of talent....Langs and his play calling.....

An OC is limited in his playcalling with limited talent on the OL, combine that with a QB to refuses to throw the ball just to move the chain and you get a very limited playbook. Hopefully starting next year with better OL talent and hopefully a QB who can read a defense and take what is open to keep drives alive will be a huge improvement alone. Then on Defense we have no depth on the DL or LB's, so we can't practice physical because we are screwed if any of them get hurt. I am sure Parella wants his boys to get nasty like we were when he played, but he also realizes that he needs to recruit more horses so they can practice like they need to.

We lost three games this year. Clearly OSU is at another level right now yo us.

Michigan is a question mark. They can be really good but I don't see them quite at the same level as OSU yet.

I think we can play with and beat everyone else.

We lost to Wisconsin on the road in over time. I don't see why they are so much better than us.

The Iowa game was just plain pathetic. Winning that game clearly meant more to their players. On top of that, our running QB couldn't run. That's a huge problem for an offense that relies on your QB to run.

PSU lost a game early they shouldn't have just like us.

I don't think we are that far behind them.

Michigan dominated OSU for 3 quarters. They aren't a question mark. Just because they lost a game when they didn't have their starting QB doesn't put a question mark behind them, imo.

Also regarding PSU. Losing early and improving like crazy is completely different from folding late, which is what NU did. That's not even remotely comparable. NU got worse through the year. Penn State got 100x better.

You misunderstood my "question mark" on Michigan. I'm not sold on them being quite at the level of OSU yet. Proof of that is that OSU was able to come back and beat them. Still with Harbaugh, Michigan hasn't won any championships.

Yes, they are better than us right now.....and...they are closer to OSU than we are to them. From there, I'm not sure exactly how far behind we are from them.

No...I'm not sold on that PSU is head and shoulders above us. We took Wisconsin to overtime when our players were mostly healthy. Wisconsin was winning that game by 21 at one point.

I still say we are in the ball park of Wisconsin, PSU and Iowa.

I want to see Michigan next year after they lose around 17-18 starters either to graduation or the draft. Then Harbaugh will have to use the guys he recruited as all of Hoke's guys are gone after the bowl game. I see them taking a tempory step back to the pack next year until they get the young guys some experience.

I don't want to downplay the importance of a good quarterback, but, Nebraska has had conference championship capable quarterbacks during the last 15 years. Most recently, Ganz, Martinez and Armstrong, in my opinion.

The more pressing issue during the last ~15 years has been offensive line play. I've seen people raise the point, time and again, that Nebraska has had good rushing seasons and therefore they've had good lines. There's some truth to that. However, Nebraska has also essentially written in stone the format for losing a big game - inconsistent line play, limited rushing attack and turnovers.

It's no coincidence that Nebraska's line play on both sides of the ball has been inconsistent during the same stretch of no conference titles. It's also no coincidence that average to above average lines have been the norm for the last four coaches in the program and - shocker - three of them have been fired.

When you hinge your program on how good of a quarterback you can get and develop then your hinge your program on unending rollercoasters. Every fan should be just as critical of the line development as they are of the quarterback position, but that's almost never the case.

How many of Nebraska's starters could start at Ohio State? Maybe Gates or Gerry? Westy? Nebraska is not very close to OSU but doesn't need to be to win the West.

Well, let's count them:

1. Tommy Armstrong (although there he'd be a RB, WR, TE/H-Back, or possibly even a FS/SS).

2. Jordan Westerkamp.

3. Terrell Newby (as a slot receiver).

4. Tanner Farmer.

5. Chris Jones.

6. Josh Kalu.

7. Nate Gerry.

Those are 7 players that, in my opinion, would start literally for any other program.

How many of Nebraska's starters could start at Ohio State? Maybe Gates or Gerry? Westy? Nebraska is not very close to OSU but doesn't need to be to win the West.

Well, let's count them:

1. Tommy Armstrong (although there he'd be a RB, WR, TE/H-Back, or possibly even a FS/SS).

2. Jordan Westerkamp.

4. Tanner Farmer.

5. Chris Jones.

6. Josh Kalu.

7. Nate Gerry.

Those are 7 players that, in my opinion, would start literally for any other program.

So you are saying these players are the best in the country

Well, let's count them:

2. Jordan Westerkamp.

4. Tanner Farmer.

5. Chris Jones.

6. Josh Kalu.

7. Nate Gerry.

you must have missed the game they played Nebraska. TA doesn't start on any of those spots, Westy maybe,Newby isn't better than Curtis Samuel and to say so is a joke, the way their o line dominated I doubt Farmer is any better than whoever they have at right guard, and their defensive backfield is just as good if not better than ours
  • Fire 1

I don't want to downplay the importance of a good quarterback, but, Nebraska has had conference championship capable quarterbacks during the last 15 years. Most recently, Ganz, Martinez and Armstrong, in my opinion.

The more pressing issue during the last ~15 years has been offensive line play. I've seen people raise the point, time and again, that Nebraska has had good rushing seasons and therefore they've had good lines. There's some truth to that. However, Nebraska has also essentially written in stone the format for losing a big game - inconsistent line play, limited rushing attack and turnovers.

It's no coincidence that Nebraska's line play on both sides of the ball has been inconsistent during the same stretch of no conference titles. It's also no coincidence that average to above average lines have been the norm for the last four coaches in the program and - shocker - three of them have been fired.

When you hinge your program on how good of a quarterback you can get and develop then your hinge your program on unending rollercoasters. Every fan should be just as critical of the line development as they are of the quarterback position, but that's almost never the case.

CC QB I think are Ganz and Zac Taylor. IRegardless of stats these were the 2 best all around QBs since Crouch. If Ganz had one more year of eligibility (darn BC) I think we play for NC wt him and Suh on the same team their senior years. - Martinez perhaps - but he really froze in the CCG against OU & then injuries limited him thereafter.

I do agree - the offense goes through the OL. Build the pipeline and you will have success. D-line is also vital - create a pass rush and slow down the run game - frees up the back 7 to do their jobs. Let's hope that 5 star D-line LSU commit changes his mind after his January visit to NU.

• Fire 2

Nebraska is not very far you guys. They need a good QB. That changes everything. Defenses will not be pinning their ears back or selling out to stop the run. Teams will have to play Nebraska straight up. If you watch Nebraska closely in their passing game, there is at least one receiver open every play. But majority of the time, he is never thrown to.

The D is a work in progress and have holes in crucial spots. They couldn't be relied on to save the O's ass against Wisc, OSU, and Iowa. Injuries didn't help either.

Yes, they need to get tougher and hopefully they can get more physical in practice. Special teams was just poorly coached. That can change in an offseason. With Nebraska, it is about the little things, get some guys who can do that and it changes drastically.

Agree with you, man. Teams sold out to stop the run against us the entirety of the later half of the season and played press man coverage; if we had a QB that could hit a guy deep vs one-on-one coverage; that defensive style goes to the wayside; however; you need a line that will protect that QB, because that QB, more than likely, isn't going to have the scrambling ability of TA; unless we somehow snag a Heisman quality QB.

It's pretty apparent that we're not going to go much further with Riley at the helm. The top-tier schools have provided the blueprint: shell out top dollar and hire a big-name coach who can lure 4 and 5-star recruits. Just look at the coaches in the playoff this year: Saban, Meyer, Dabo, and Petersen (I still find it funny how a few years back when I suggested we pursue Petersen to replace Bo, I was told time and time again that he'd never leave Boise). Until we can land top talent, we're not going to be an elite team. Not sure why that's so hard for some people to see.

No way does that LSU kid come here. Orgeron is better than any recruiter we have. We had our chance to land him, and Riley chose Banker instead, remember? Now look.

Yeah...if you have any evidence that Orgeron was actually considering a coordinator at job at Nebraska, I'd love to see it. These was some Tom Lemming smoke about him wanting the HC job.

It's pretty apparent that we're not going to go much further with Riley at the helm. The top-tier schools have provided the blueprint: shell out top dollar and hire a big-name coach who can lure 4 and 5-star recruits. Just look at the coaches in the playoff this year: Saban, Meyer, Dabo, and Petersen (I still find it funny how a few years back when I suggested we pursue Petersen to replace Bo, I was told time and time again that he'd never leave Boise). Until we can land top talent, we're not going to be an elite team. Not sure why that's so hard for some people to see.

Chris Petersen would never leave Boise for Nebraska as he's a Pac NW guy to the core. The only two jobs he would ever leave Boise for were Washington or Oregon. I'm honestly surprised he took the UW job as he made it pretty clear he wanted the Oregon job.

Well, let's count them:

2. Jordan Westerkamp.

4. Tanner Farmer.

5. Chris Jones.

6. Josh Kalu.

7. Nate Gerry.

That wasn't the question and you know it.

I believe the players I listed are good enough to start at practically any other school.

There are other players who are redshirting this year or are redshirt freshman who could land on this list but we don't know about them because they haven't played and are questions as to how good they are.

Well, let's count them:

2. Jordan Westerkamp.

4. Tanner Farmer.

5. Chris Jones.

6. Josh Kalu.

7. Nate Gerry.

That wasn't the question and you know it.

I believe the players I listed are good enough to start at practically any other school.

There are other players who are redshirting this year or are redshirt freshman who could land on this list but we don't know about them because they haven't played and are questions as to how good they are.

it doesn't matter if that was the question or not because that's what you basically said.

I don't know how to use all of the functions on mobile but you said those players would start on 'literally' any team in the country...wouldn't that make them the best players at that position?

I would say Gerry could start about anywhere save 3 schools but those other players would not start anywhere else they went, sorry. Coincidentally one of those three schools is OSU, which was the question. Hooker is an incredible player. All of our secondary players would definitely be backups at OSU

I have no problem saying they are above average and would get PT most places but there is alot of talent out there and ours simply isn't the best, even when considering our best players