Music City Bowl vs Tennessee

Saunders

The real question for this game is why doesn't Joshua Dobbs have eyebrows

He has a condition called alopecia areata. Here is a short blurb about it from an article online that discusses his history with the disease:

The Tennessee quarterback doesn't have hair because of alopecia areata, which first showed up around the time he was transitioning from elementary school to junior high. That's when his mom, Stephanie Dobbs, noticed a thinning spot on his scalp. A dermatologist diagnosed him with the disease, prescribed some medication that calmed the inflammation and brought his hair back in the patchy spot.

"It ebbs and flows, like a lot of other diseases," Stephanie Dobbs said. "You can regain and lose it again. The episode was so short, we assumed it may be completely dormant."

For a while, it was. As Dobbs matured from a dominant pee-wee football player into a legitimate Division I prospect, his hairline slightly receded. Near the end of high school, his eyebrows began to disappear. His hairline continued to recede after he arrived at Tennessee. Eventually, the patches returned, and today, he shaves it all off.

Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl: Nebraska vs. No. 21 Tennessee

(3:30 p.m., ESPN, Nissan Stadium, Nashville, Tennessee)

Both teams faded down the stretch, and it's difficult to trust a Tennessee team that so rarely plays to its talent level. But the Vols will be playing a virtual home game and Nebraska looked dreadful its last time out against Iowa. Tennessee ends a disappointing season on a feel-good note, but it's fleeting as Butch Jones will be on the hot seat in 2017.

Tennessee 36, Nebraska 28.

ESPN

I can see that prediction happening. My only question is: Can we actually score 28? :facepalm:

• Fire 1

Only 9 games in a super long career does a little.

Riley went two foundation-laying years without a bowl, left to become San Diego Chargers HC, and returned to go 8-for-12 in his second run at Oregon State, with a 6-2 record.

Prior to his first stint with the Beavers, Oregon State had six bowls in their entire history. The last had been in 1965.

No surprise there: the respect Riley earns for resurrecting that Beavers program is well deserved.

• Fire 1

Only 9 games in a super long career does a little.

Riley went two foundation-laying years without a bowl, left to become San Diego Chargers HC, and returned to go 8-for-12 in his second run at Oregon State, with a 6-2 record.

Prior to his first stint with the Beavers, Oregon State had six bowls in their entire history. The last had been in 1965.

No surprise there: the respect Riley earns for resurrecting that Beavers program is well deserved.

But but but he is a .500 coach zoogs, isn't that all he will ever be?

Nebraska vs. Tennessee, Music City Bowl. Could the Huskers be the team to beat in the Big Ten West in 2017? Maybe. Beating the talented Vols would be a nice building block as Mike Riley looks for a big breakthrough in Year Three next season.

Notes: The Huskers will take on a Volunteer club that failed to live up to expectations, falling to Vanderbilt the last time out to kill Sugar Bowl dreams. Will UT, the pick to win the SEC East, be motivated? Tennessee and Nebraska have met twice before and both were in bowls. Nebraska won each meeting, defeating Tennessee 42-17 in the 1998 Orange Bowl to clinch a share of the 1997 national championship under Peyton Manning and 31-21 in the 2000 Fiesta Bowl. The programs were scheduled to meet this season to begin a home-and-home series, but the games were pushed back to the 2026 and 2027 seasons to accommodate Tennessee playing Virginia Tech in Bristol, Tennessee, at a stock car track. - See more at: http://btn.com/2016/12/05/dienhart-one-storyline-for-all-10-big-ten-bowls/#sthash.RwAUe6XS.dpuf

BTN

The real question for this game is why doesn't Joshua Dobbs have eyebrows

He has a condition called alopecia areata. Here is a short blurb about it from an article online that discusses his history with the disease:

The Tennessee quarterback doesn't have hair because of alopecia areata, which first showed up around the time he was transitioning from elementary school to junior high. That's when his mom, Stephanie Dobbs, noticed a thinning spot on his scalp. A dermatologist diagnosed him with the disease, prescribed some medication that calmed the inflammation and brought his hair back in the patchy spot.

"It ebbs and flows, like a lot of other diseases," Stephanie Dobbs said. "You can regain and lose it again. The episode was so short, we assumed it may be completely dormant."

For a while, it was. As Dobbs matured from a dominant pee-wee football player into a legitimate Division I prospect, his hairline slightly receded. Near the end of high school, his eyebrows began to disappear. His hairline continued to recede after he arrived at Tennessee. Eventually, the patches returned, and today, he shaves it all off.

Thanks for the explanation!

Both teams faded down the stretch, and it's difficult to trust a Tennessee team that so rarely plays to its talent level. But the Vols will be playing a virtual home game and Nebraska looked dreadful its last time out against Iowa. Tennessee ends a disappointing season on a feel-good note, but it's fleeting as Butch Jones will be on the hot seat in 2017.

ESPN

I can see that prediction happening. My only question is: Can we actually score 28? :facepalm:

If Vanderbilt can put up 45 points on the Volunteers defense, I think we can reach 28.

ESPN

Would love to see statistics if teams the play bowls in their own state actually win more

This is a very good matchup for us on paper as their defensive stats are largely worse, in a relative sense, than our offensive ones. Their worst defensive category is rushing defense, too (and that's still our offense's strength, given the lack of production through the air this season). They have posted a negative turnover margin. My guess at a spread is NU -4 but that's without considering any home field advantage. If it's more like -1, I'd think it'd be due to the locale.

ESPN

If Vanderbilt's 108th ranked offense can score 45 points...I'm pretty sure we can score 28. But hey, keep facepalming without actually looking how bad UT's defense is.

You're fundamentally misunderstanding the reason for my facepalm.

If Nebraska comes to this game focused, ready to play, and puts forth the kind of performance I know they can, they could score 45+ points on Tennessee's defense.

However, aside from getting a 10th win, what do these players have to play for? I am questioning the current players motivations, not their skills.

Never been to a Nebraska bowl game, what do the tickets normally run for these things?

If you get them from the University or through the bowl officials, they are probably around $100 a ticket.

I bet you could show up on game day and find tickets easily for much lower that that. There is no way this game will be near a sell out.

Yep!

I bet you can get in for 20 dollars

Showed up at the Foster Farms bowl last year without tickets. Within minutes had three free tickets and barbecue chicken from some Cal Husker tailgaters.

• Fire 1