The Definition of Realistic

ScawFraw

I think expectations and desires are different. I desire to be in the hunt for a conference championship every yer, and to at least play for a conference title every other year. At this point I expect an average of eight regular season wins per year, and a very small chance of a conference championship, with CCG appearances about once per five years.

As of today, I would "settle" for not getting embarrassed. The next step is winning the conference for the first time in almost 2 decades. I don't even care about the playoff right now. Penn State came off of a massive scandal and huge hits to their recruiting, and they just won the conference.

Getting to 2019 without a title seems all too plausible, and unfortunate.

Realistic Expectations?

(The sarcastic side of me wants to post something snarky.)

However, I will answer the question as intended...

1. Players that have the speed, athleticism, size, strength, etc to be able to compete with any team nationally on any field.

2. Players who play every snap with 100% effort/motor/heart.

3. Players that are coachable.

4. Players that stay out of trouble with the law. (This applies to our coaches also.)

5. Players that go to class and graduate.

6. Players that are involved with the community.

I figure, we get all six of those points (or, at the bare minimum 1-3) and the wins/championships will take care of itself.

• Fire 1

Realistic Expectations?

1. Players that have the speed, athleticism, size, strength, etc to be able to compete with any team nationally on any field.

4. Players that stay out of trouble with the law. (This applies to our coaches also.)

I figure, we get all six of those points (or, at the bare minimum 1-3) and the wins/championships will take care of itself.

That's a good list. Props to you.

Realistic Expectations?

Good list. Pelini's teams usually had 4 or 5 of those covered. So I'm wondering, do your expectations include any actual on field results or are you happy with winning 7-8-9 games per year over inferior competition and getting beat by the better teams and getting blown out once or twice, as long as your list is satisfied?

Sorry, had to move this along to satisfy Atbones premonition above.

JJHusker1 said:

Good list. Pelini's teams usually had 4 or 5 of those covered. So I'm wondering, do your expectations include any actual on field results or are you happy with winning 7-8-9 games per year over inferior competition and getting beat by the better teams and getting blown out once or twice, as long as your list is satisfied?

Well, I implied that, with competent to excellent coaching...

* winning 9-11 games yearly,

* being in regular contention for conference, and in some years national, championship contention,

should go be achievable if we have my points 1-6 listed above.

JJHusker1 said:

Well, I implied that, with competent to excellent coaching...

* winning 9-11 games yearly,

* being in regular contention for conference, and in some years national, championship contention,

should go be achievable if we have my points 1-6 listed above.

Well okay, excellent list then.

Realistic Expectations?

Good post, can't help but wonder what the snarky side was going to unleash.....

C'mon.....let the snark flow....this is a message board after all.....