The Definition of Realistic

ScawFraw

I usually break it down over a 10 year span.

- Should be in the conference title game discussion ~8 years out of 10 heading into the end of November

- Should be in the conference title game 3-4 times in a 10-year span

- Should win a conference title 1-2 times in a 10-year span

I think those are pretty fair and realist expectations for a program like Nebraska.

Realistic Expectations?

(The sarcastic side of me wants to post something snarky.)

However, I will answer the question as intended...

1. Players that have the speed, athleticism, size, strength, etc to be able to compete with any team nationally on any field.

2. Players who play every snap with 100% effort/motor/heart.

3. Players that are coachable.

4. Players that stay out of trouble with the law. (This applies to our coaches also.)

5. Players that go to class and graduate.

6. Players that are involved with the community.

I figure, we get all six of those points (or, at the bare minimum 1-3) and the wins/championships will take care of itself.

That's not realistic, is it?

I mean, you're expecting talent that's as good as any team in the nation, and who give 100% effort on every snap. That's more of a dream scenario.

I expect a few players to get in trouble with the law because they always do, under every coach at every program.

Coachable? I think the players that don't take to coaching don't get much playing time. Then we wonder why Coach is wasting that speed, size and athleticism on the bench.

The realistic expectation is that the Huskers are a strong contender for the Big 10 West every season.

Anything beyond that is certainly possible, just a bit more hopeful than realistic for the next couple seasons.

• Fire 3

I've given this a lot of thought and finally settled on 8.

8 wins. Always be competitive for Big Ten West crown.

Occasional outliers on down side are not desired but tolerated (barely), in the case of that I could be talked into a bowl game at minimum.

The only way 8 wins keeps us competetive in the West is if the other 4 losses are all OOC and 1 to a cross division team.

10 wins keeps us alive every year in the division race.

Is it unrealistic to ask for us to beat Wisconsin and Iowa?

No it is not unrealistic, but it is unrealistic to expect Nebraska to beat Iowa and Wisconsin every year. They are both pretty good football programs. Wisconsin being much better than Iowa. Talent wise they are probably not as good as NU top to bottom, but they know what they are and what they want to do and have been doing it for a long time and had been successful for a long time. Realistically I think we should expect NU to beat Wisconsin about half the time, which we are not doing and Iowa about 70% of the time which we are not doing.

I think it's a realistic expectation to win all of the games you should win (Purdue, Illinois, etc.) and then not get blown out on national television. I think a lot of people would be muuuch happier with this season if we didn't lose to Iowa and OSU the way we did. Nobody was that upset about the Wisconsin game, it was disappointing for sure, but at least a tough game. But losing in humiliating fashion on national tv has defined Nebraska football for a while now. I don't think we get over the hump until we stop that trend, nobody takes us seriously anymore because we get embarrassed on the big stage almost every year. Beat the bottom teams and play the top teams close, especially on prime time television. I don't think that's an unreasonable or inflated expectation for Nebraska football.

If we had the same record and lose to Iowa by less than 7 and to OSU by less than 15, I think people would have a different view on this season. I would anyways.

• Fire 1

I think it's a realistic expectation to win all of the games you should win (Purdue, Illinois, etc.) and then not get blown out on national television. I think a lot of people would be muuuch happier with this season if we didn't lose to Iowa and OSU the way we did. Nobody was that upset about the Wisconsin game, it was disappointing for sure, but at least a tough game. But losing in humiliating fashion on national tv has defined Nebraska football for a while now. I don't think we get over the hump until we stop that trend, nobody takes us seriously anymore because we get embarrassed on the big stage almost every year. Beat the bottom teams and play the top teams close, especially on prime time television. I don't think that's an unreasonable or inflated expectation for Nebraska football.

If we had the same record and lose to Iowa by less than 7 and to OSU by less than 15, I think people would have a different view on this season. I would anyways.

Love the name, one of my favorite episodes ever.

• Fire 1

Realistic Expectations?

1. Players that have the speed, athleticism, size, strength, etc to be able to compete with any team nationally on any field.

4. Players that stay out of trouble with the law. (This applies to our coaches also.)

I figure, we get all six of those points (or, at the bare minimum 1-3) and the wins/championships will take care of itself.

I agree with this. But playing with 100% effort should be 1st on the list IMO.

Realistic Expectations?

:thumbs good list

I'd be happy to be Wisc who is happy being NU of old. Play for the CCG every 2-3 years, win it at least once in that time frame and be in the playoff discussion. Regardless, by 2021 when we have a back to back series wt OU, I want us to be able to curb stomp them. Living in Tulsa, if would do my heart good to go to Norman and see us beat OU. :power:ou1:

Win at least 11 games consistently. Even if thats just every 3 years I think we as fans would be happy.

Win a conference championship every 3 or 4 years would be nice.

Winning the division every 2 to 3 years shouldn't be too much to ask for either.

So we'd be happy being Alabama or Ohio State.

And that's about it.