Good grief

mwj98

It's not about anger or using bad words or being fiery or passionate, it's about being out of control.

If Bo Pelini's players used their coach's fire to play with aggression, he'd still be here. But they didn't. They played skittish, and had the most passive sideline behavior I've ever seen on the team. He didn't fire them up as much as he scared them.

I think a lot of players genuinely loved Bo and wanted to do right by him, but I think the bunker mentality he created worked against him.

• Fire 2

It's not about anger or using bad words or being fiery or passionate, it's about being out of control.

If Bo Pelini's players used their coach's fire to play with aggression, he'd still be here. But they didn't. They played skittish, and had the most passive sideline behavior I've ever seen on the team. He didn't fire them up as much as he scared them.

I think a lot of players genuinely loved Bo and wanted to do right by him, but I think the bunker mentality he created worked against him.

Here's an issue with this.

First, I agree that Pelini is passionate and can have a hard time "tempering" that passion. In the bigger picture during his tenure at Nebraska there were two sides to the story, though.......referring to leadership at the highest level at the DONU.

But, here we are two seasons later. Our very own Mike Riley coached team is getting blown out in the games that matter.

Meanwhile, the man you wrote about above has his team competing for a championship.

I think I remember Eichorst referencing similar words about Nebraska....

First, I agree that Pelini is passionate and can have a hard time "tempering" that passion. In the bigger picture during his tenure at Nebraska there were two sides to the story, though.......referring to leadership at the highest level at the DONU.

But, here we are two seasons later. Our very own Mike Riley coached team is getting blown out in the games that matter.

Meanwhile, the man you wrote about above has his team competing for a championship.

Pelini competed for a conference championship his second season an Nebraska. Lets see how he's doing in another 5 years.

Riley has made adjustments to the coaching staff after both seasons here. He clearly understands he needs to improve the team and is working towards that goal.

Riley has made adjustments to the coaching staff after both seasons here. He clearly understands he needs to improve the team and is working towards that goal.

Riley hired those guys to begin with. They were his hand picked guys, so no credit for changing out a couple who were clearly terrible.

There are quite a few coaches on this staff who are question marks.

• Fire 3

Riley hired those guys to begin with. They were his hand picked guys, so no credit for changing out a couple who were clearly terrible.

Just because you don't like this staff, does not automatically mean "...quite a few coaches on this staff who are question marks."

That's your opinion, not any statement of fact.

It is my opinion that we have very good coaches.

However, ask me at the end of the regular season next year because my opinion could change.

I don't think it is fair to judge a coaching staff after two years when they are implementing completely different offensive and defensive systems. It takes time to learn new systems and recruit players to properly fit that system. For example, going from a spread offense with a RB playing QB to a West Coast Offense with complex passing game, requires completely different QB and OL types, especially at LT.

And plus, there's the whole lack of depth at QB, along the OL, DT, DE, and LB that the previous staff left us.

• Fire 1

Just because you don't like this staff, does not automatically mean "...quite a few coaches on this staff who are question marks."

However, ask me at the end of the regular season next year because my opinion could change.

I don't think it is fair to judge a coaching staff after two years when they are implementing completely different offensive and defensive systems. It takes time to learn new systems and recruit players to properly fit that system. For example, going from a spread offense with a RB playing QB to a West Coast Offense with complex passing game, requires completely different QB and OL types, especially at LT.

And plus, there's the whole lack of depth at QB, along the OL, DT, DE, and LB that the previous staff left us.

Where did I say that I didn't like this staff? The actual facts are that most of these guys have a lengthy track record, and all are a question mark at best. We've seen what they've done at other stops, and we've seen what they've done here.

I don't see good coaches making some of the excuses you are making. They come in, they coach who they have, they win.

Yes there were some depth issues but 2 years later and there has been no progress. The depth issues certainly didn't cause most of the losses over the past 2 years, not with those easy schedules. I'll give you Ohio state, even though it never should have been a 59 point beat down.

Seeing what these guys have done over their careers, to consider them very good would be a big exaggeration. Some of them I liked and have disappointed, some I didn't like and have done nothing to change that opinion. A couple I didn't like should be given another year or two to prove their worth.

Cornstar said: Where did I say that I didn't like this staff? The actual facts are that most of these guys have a lengthy track record, and all are a question mark at best. We've seen what they've done at other stops, and we've seen what they've done here.

I don't see good coaches making some of the excuses you are making. They come in, they coach who they have, they win.

Yes there were some depth issues but 2 years later and there has been no progress. The depth issues certainly didn't cause most of the losses over the past 2 years, not with those easy schedules. I'll give you Ohio state, even though it never should have been a 59 point beat down.

Seeing what these guys have done over their careers, to consider them very good would be a big exaggeration. Some of them I liked and have disappointed, some I didn't like and have done nothing to change that opinion. A couple I didn't like should be given another year or two to prove their worth.

Well your statement that "many" coaches on this staff are question marks, implies you don't think they are capable.

I am not saying you dislike them on a personal level

You do realize that we have scholarship limitation right? And can only sign the number of players +3 that leave the following year. So if we have 20 open scholarships for the '17 class, then the max we can sign is 23. Even then, that number will have to come down to 20 through attrition. Nebraska's lack of depth was so bad, for several games this year, we had as many as 4 walk-ons starting along the OL. Factor in literally no backup QB, no depth at DT, DE, or LB.

Furthermore, our strength and conditioning program under Pelini and Dobson was so weak, that Boyd Epley commented that it would take 2-3 years of improved S&C to begin to get our players where they need to be.

Point is, you're asking for the kind of miracle turnaround that isn't realistic at all given the plethora of issues this program is currently facing.

In my opinion, Mike Riley should get at the minimum 2 more years.

• Fire 1

Where did I say that I didn't like this staff? The actual facts are that most of these guys have a lengthy track record, and all are a question mark at best. We've seen what they've done at other stops, and we've seen what they've done here.

It does seem odd that a lot of Husker fans seem to think Riley has only been a head coach for two seasons.

It seems odd because the major reason he got the job was his years of head coaching experience. Why are we discounting it now?

Nobody is discounting it - but you are naaive if you think it still wont take him a little time to turn area the program from what Bo and others did.

A lot of people are discounting it but they shouldn't. He doesn't need this magical 7 years...he knows what he is doing it his experience that gave us big hope. That is why his 5-7 season last year freaked out a lot of fans...a 20 year HC should not have been losing games like that.

See...he came into a spot that did not really need "turning around" it needed a little make over.

SE told us all that the pieces were pretty much in place that things were great and that we just needed a leadership change.

• Fire 2

Nobody is discounting it - but you are naaive if you think it still wont take him a little time to turn area the program from what Bo and others did.

A lot of people are discounting it but they shouldn't. He doesn't need this magical 7 years...he knows what he is doing it his experience that gave us big hope. That is why his 5-7 season last year freaked out a lot of fans...a 20 year HC should not have been losing games like that.

See...he came into a spot that did not really need "turning around" it needed a little make over.

SE told us all that the pieces were pretty much in place that things were great and that we just needed a leadership change.

All the conversations, talk, and discussion that has occurred on this board, other sites, in the media, on sports talk radio, etc regarding lack of depth across the entire roster, the weak S&C under James Dobson, and the toxic fan hating culture the former coach instilled in his players.

Despite all that, you actually believe the Nebraska football team just needed a "little makeover?" You serious Clark? That would be like me being a real estate agent and saying, "Teacher, buy this house..."

333wshf.jpg

"...all it needs is a new paint job."

All the conversations, talk, and discussion that has occurred on this board, other sites, in the media, on sports talk radio, etc regarding lack of depth across the entire roster, the weak S&C under James Dobson, and the toxic fan hating culture the former coach instilled in his players.

Despite all that, you actually believe the Nebraska football team just needed a "little makeover?" You serious Clark? That would be like me being a real estate agent and saying, "Teacher, buy this house..."

333wshf.jpg

"...all it needs is a new paint job."

SE told us that...why would he lie?

Why was the team able to win 9 or 10 games a year with an inferior and experienced staff and with a SC staff that clearly did not know what they were doing...

So yes, I believe that Riley just needs a makeover...this was not UCF that just went 0-12.

Don't forget, Vegas had them favored in 9 games this year...they won them all.

• Fire 2

If Riley gets beat by both Wisconsin and Iowa next year than I can see his seat getting warmer

I think anything less than a division title and the seat will be fairly warm, but SE's will also start to be fairly warm. That will be three full years without doing much better than the previous coach. That firing and hiring becomes more difficult to justify.

• Fire 1