Gates Looks to Set Tone for Off-Season

Mavric

I have absolutely no problem with a player saying that and an article bring written about it.

Guess he should have just said we suck and well suck again next year because we aren't going to work hard in the off season.

This isn't the same players saying the same things. It's new players trying to take on the leadership rolls.

Other posters are talking about how negative the OWH has been lately. Well....someone is writing positive things.

But how many times have we read these stories before and nothing changes
So you want nothing but doom and gloom because you're not happy and no player should ever commit openly to getting better in the off season because other players before him have done the same thing and you didn't get what you want.
  • Fire 1

Sure would have been nice to start that this year...

No one was going to talk over Tommy this year. I for one am happy to see players like Gates and Morgan Jr. holding people accountable. With a new QB, RB, TE's and WR's coming in this year, we will need the line to step up, now more than ever.

I have absolutely no problem with a player saying that and an article bring written about it.

Guess he should have just said we suck and well suck again next year because we aren't going to work hard in the off season.

This isn't the same players saying the same things. It's new players trying to take on the leadership rolls.

Other posters are talking about how negative the OWH has been lately. Well....someone is writing positive things.

But how many times have we read these stories before and nothing changes

So you want nothing but doom and gloom because you're not happy and no player should ever commit openly to getting better in the off season because other players before him have gone the same thing and you didn't gat what you want.

Just read lo countries post and thats what I feel as well. Year after year its the same hype, players figuring it out, mechanics look good, blah blah blah BS to when it actually comes time to walking the walk nothing is done

• Fire 1

But you don't want any stories about it. Just want goon and gloom.

I guess the other option is no coverage of the team at all.

I don't want any stories about how this year accountability kicks in. I'd be much happier with something along these lines. "We are looking forward to next year. A lot of good and bad form last year. We obviously want to improve on what we did well and sh!t can what didn't work. Not gonna lie, new guys, new QB, losing some great guys to graduation. Be hard to replace, but we have guys who we think can impact immediately. Really, at the end of the day, we just want to put our heads down and go to work. Let our play speak for us. No one is more disappointed than us in whats happened last season".

Sadly, the only guys who backed it up were Peter and crew when they came back for their senior year. "Unfinished Business"

Just my .02......I'm simply tired of the coach speak, the "this year" we are better/faster/stronger/focused etc....... I've bought in every year, and will again, but still frustrating....

• Fire 1

I don't want any stories about how this year accountability kicks in. I'd be much happier with something along these lines. "We are looking forward to next year. A lot of good and bad form last year. We obviously want to improve on what we did well and sh!t can what didn't work. Not gonna lie, new guys, new QB, losing some great guys to graduation. Be hard to replace, but we have guys who we think can impact immediately. Really, at the end of the day, we just want to put our heads down and go to work. Let our play speak for us. No one is more disappointed than us in whats happened last season".

Sadly, the only guys who backed it up were Peter and crew when they came back for their senior year. "Unfinished Business"

Just my .02......I'm simply tired of the coach speak, the "this year" we are better/faster/stronger/focused etc....... I've bought in every year, and will again, but still frustrating....

that all sounds pretty generic - so you want them to cut and paste that same article each year?

Soooo....if a player openly talks about assuming leadership and what his plans are in the off season to make the team better, you don't want any reporter mentioning it or reporting that it was even said.

Just concentrate on all the problems of last year and how horrible it was.

Soooo....if a player openly talks about assuming leadership and what his plans are in the off season to make the team better, you don't want any reporter mentioning it or reporting that it was even said.

I'm tired of guys talking about how crap will be better next year and it's the same thing....So yea, keep saying the same stuff. It sells papers. Silence doesn't. If you want to believe that next year we will finally have real leadership, great. Have at it. I am just tired of the same comments year in and year out with no better results.

It's not doom and gloom it's the reality of a program stuck in neutral. One moment we look like we are back and then we implode, on national tv, again........ Maybe Gates is the catalyst we need. That'd be great. I'd love to hear stories from camp about Gates running to another practice field and laying some slack DL guy out ala Jason Peter. I'd love to hear stories about guys holding each other accountable for drops, fumbles, penalties, missed tackles etc.....But until it translates on the field, it's just words.

• Fire 1

I'm tired of guys talking about how crap will be better next year and it's the same thing....So yea, keep saying the same stuff. It sells papers. Silence doesn't. If you want to believe that next year we will finally have real leadership, great. Have at it. I am just tired of the same comments year in and year out with no better results.

It's not doom and gloom it's the reality of a program stuck in neutral. One moment we look like we are back and then we implode, on national tv, again........ Maybe Gates is the catalyst we need. That'd be great. I'd love to hear stories from camp about Gates running to another practice field and laying some slack DL guy out ala Jason Peter. I'd love to hear stories about guys holding each other accountable for drops, fumbles, penalties, missed tackles etc.....But until it translates on the field, it's just words.

Pardon me if I have absolutely no desire to have good young players in the program fixated on being miserable about failures of the past.

The difference is that Gates came out and pretty much said he doesn't care if he pisses people off, he is gonna get on their ass for doing things or not doing things.. This is the type of leadership we have been missing for awhile.

And I like and applaud him for it. Why not this year though?
he is just a sophomore this year, maybe he wasn't ready for this type of leadership role at the beginning of this season, now he is after another year of experience and D. Utter graduating making him and a few others the elders on the OL

Here's my take. Gates is nasty and can get nastier. He can piss some people off and get on their butts all he wants but if they are nasty it isn't gonna matter. You don't or can not develop nastyness. A guy either has it or don't. You have to recruit those guys that have that nasty attitude. Guys that want to destroy what ever is in front of them. The old blackshirts, Gregory, Suh, and even Gangwish even though he may have been on the shorter end of the talent pool.

Recruit those guys cause you aren't gonna develop them.