Were We Actually Any Better This Season?

Mavric

We weren't that bad last season. I think we were a little better this year.

That's my point.

Yeah. We had a pretty nice finish down the stretch last season and it carried over into this year. And even though the wins were adding up, there were a lot of games that went to the wire that you kind of wondered why it had to be that way. I'm going to be hopeful this off season, and going into next year. With so many new pieces to insert here and there, I just don't know if we will see the improvements we would all like to see :dunno

We lost by about an average of 5 points in 2015. In 2016 it was 28 points. Losing by an average 4 tds vs 1 td is pretty big difference.

so if a team goes 0-12 and losses each game by less then a touchdown compared to a team that goes 13-1 losing to a solid team by 4 td's - you would rather be

0-12

We lost by about an average of 5 points in 2015. In 2016 it was 28 points. Losing by an average 4 tds vs 1 td is pretty big difference.

so if a team goes 0-12 and losses each game by less then a touchdown compared to a team that goes 13-1 losing to a solid team by 4 td's - you would rather be

0-12

Use a criteria of 4 to 7 loses if you want to cherry pick.

• Fire 2

0-12

So you leave out the w-l records and it's ok, however when I give you a question that adjust what you left out you call it cherry picking?

Ok so use the facts of the last two seasons which is better 2015? 2016?

0-12

So you leave out the w-l records and it's ok, however when I give you a question that adjust what you left out you call it cherry picking?

I'm not sure wtf you're getting at. But if you need to know the records between the two years to make a case for yourself, you are completely missing the point that the information I provided was indeed fact. Neither year was good. Nebraska got blown out this year twice. One to Iowa. And last year we lost to crap teams, notably Illinois and Purdue. Purdue, a team that hadn't won a conference game in 2 years or something.

I guess my point would be that these coaches aren't great at what they do. Average at best. K? :)

• Fire 3

0-12

You posed a ridiculous hypothetical to make an inane point.

What season was better? Neither. They were both bad, each in their own way. I think last year's team was better for whatever that's worth.

• Fire 2

Stats would strongly suggest that our dramtic improvement in turnover margin was the biggest single change and would presumably explain most of the difference in the wins and losses. I think the defense was significantly better even though the numbers say otherwise. I believe that the defensive stats suffered greatly due to the weak offense and poor punting. If you continually put the defense in bad situations, you will suffer. When your defense has to constantly play with the knowledge that the offense is unlikely to produce many ball control, clock chewing, sustained drives, the defense always plays under high pressure. The close games all year long put the defense in a 'do or die' predicament over and over. Get a stronger offensive line and sustain more drives, even if they don't necessarily end in TDs or FGs, they give the defense a time to rest, scheme adjust, etc. Also, a defense that plays with a decent lead can take more chances and play more agressively.

This is a somewhat shaky statistic to cherry pick because their SOS was slightly improved in 2016 and there are so many variables that play into wins and losses.

I won't begrudge you the point you're making, though. I think it's disappointing to see the margin of loss increase so drastically. However, I'd still take this NU team over the 2015 version. I was pleased with their improvement in some areas (like TO margin, particularly in the 4th quarter).

But, while everybody focuses on the QB battle this offseason, I hope the offensive line concerns don't get lost in the shuffle. That, to me at least, is a much bigger concern moving forward.

We were better at the end of 2015 than we are at the end of 2016. That bothers me.

Since 2012, Nebraska is 17-11 in November. They're 4-4 since Riley took over. NU also hasn't gone undefeated in November since 2012.

Finishing the season strong has been a challenge around here for some time.