Minnesota is about to have a better coach than us

Say what you want about me, but today is the perfect example of exactly what I'm talking about. Not only are we missing out on top targets, but we're losing them to Riley's previous school, where he supposedly had no resources. It's embarrassing.

I don't follow recruiting. I just read the results here as opposed to the forum. Have we really lost top targets to Oregon State?

Say what you want about me, but today is the perfect example of exactly what I'm talking about. Not only are we missing out on top targets, but we're losing them to Riley's previous school, where he supposedly had no resources. It's embarrassing.

I don't follow recruiting. I just read the results here as opposed to the forum. Have we really lost top targets to Oregon State?

Just went to the forum. We lost 2 WR's to Oregon State. Went 0-4 today............

This is the part that is most annoying. Maybe, just maybe, the reason that Oregon was basically a 7.5 win team for the last 15 years was not because it is so hard to win there but maybe it is because that is sort of what Riley is, the two or three years that Erickson was there they were all of a sudden winning 10 games.

This is the part that is most annoying. Maybe, just maybe, the reason that Oregon was basically a 7.5 win team for the last 15 years was not because it is so hard to win there but maybe it is because that is sort of what Riley is, the two or three years that Erickson was there they were all of a sudden winning 10 games.

I have not been a fan of the hire and am becoming less so. Looking at the recruiting board, it appears we have been tanking.......

PJ Fleck

Overall

Looks to be just above .500 to me. Time will tell. The MAC isn't the B1G.

It is like the same % as Riley...

He also had a sweet 1-11 record

What the numbers don't tell you is he inherited a complete mess. Recruited a bunch of kids and played a ton of them in that 1-11 season as freshmen. Look where they ended up as seniors. The 13-1 season is not a fluke. He built the team his way, in his vision, and created a culture the kids believed in and the community believes in. Trust me, I've lived in Kalamazoo for 25 years, and I am a WMU alum. He has done amazing things with the program in a very short time.
The community loves him there, don't they?

They really do, he really embraced the community and got them totally involved in his culture. It has been a really cool thing to watch evolve.

Riley at OSU was very similar to Snyder at Kansas State. Programs with horrible histories that each built up and coached through their best stretches ever.

PJ Fleck

Overall

What the numbers don't tell you is he inherited a complete mess. Recruited a bunch of kids and played a ton of them in that 1-11 season as freshmen. Look where they ended up as seniors. The 13-1 season is not a fluke. He built the team his way, in his vision, and created a culture the kids believed in and the community believes in. Trust me, I've lived in Kalamazoo for 25 years, and I am a WMU alum. He has done amazing things with the program in a very short time.
They really do, he really embraced the community and got them totally involved in his culture. It has been a really cool thing to watch evolve.

Riley at OSU was very similar to Snyder at Kansas State. Programs with horrible histories that each built up and coached through their best stretches ever.

Except that Dennis Erickson led Oregon State to their 2 best years when Riley was coaching in the NFL.

PJ Fleck

Overall

Except that Dennis Erickson led Oregon State to their 2 best years when Riley was coaching in the NFL.

Look at their history as a whole and Riley was responsible for a majority of the better seasons

PJ Fleck

Overall

Look at their history as a whole and Riley was responsible for a majority of the better seasons

Riley went 3-8 and 5-6 in '97 and '98 in his 2 years at Oregon State before getting the Chargers job. Erickson then had 3 winning seasons in 4 years, including a 11-1 season in 2000. Riley came back to Oregon State after Erickson left for the NFL, and did a good job of maintaining the winning at Oregon State, but still never reached the heights Erickson did. Riley was 1-2 years away from being fired at Oregon State if NU hadn't hired him The comparison to Bill Snyder is laughable.

PJ Fleck

Overall

Riley went 3-8 and 5-6 in '97 and '98 in his 2 years at Oregon State before getting the Chargers job. Erickson then had 3 winning seasons in 4 years, including a 11-1 season in 2000. Riley came back to Oregon State after Erickson left for the NFL, and did a good job of maintaining the winning at Oregon State, but still never reached the heights Erickson did. Riley was 1-2 years away from being fired at Oregon State if NU hadn't hired him The comparison to Bill Snyder is laughable.

I'll use small words. Not laughable. Of the 13 seasons of 8 wins or better in Oregon State history Riley had 6 of them. They only had 24 seasons of 7 wins or more in their entire history and he had 8 of them. That is not deniable even if you dislike Riley. Point is both Snyder and Riley coached their programs in the glory days. True Snyder has had more success in his two stints with the Wildcats. Similar but not exact. True Dennis Erickson had a level of success nearly everywhere he coached in college.

• Fire 1

PJ Fleck

Overall

I'll use small words. Not laughable. Of the 13 seasons of 8 wins or better in Oregon State history Riley had 6 of them. They only had 24 seasons of 7 wins or more in their entire history and he had 8 of them. That is not deniable even if you dislike Riley. Point is both Snyder and Riley coached their programs in the glory days. True Snyder has had more success in his two stints with the Wildcats. Similar but not exact. True Dennis Erickson had a level of success nearly everywhere he coached in college.

So Erickson showed that OSU could be really good (11-1) and Riley showed they could be sort of average, while the coaches before him showed they could be way below average.