Minnesota is about to have a better coach than us

PJ Fleck

Overall

Looks to be just above .500 to me. Time will tell. The MAC isn't the B1G.

It is like the same % as Riley...

He also had a sweet 1-11 record

What the numbers don't tell you is he inherited a complete mess. Recruited a bunch of kids and played a ton of them in that 1-11 season as freshmen. Look where they ended up as seniors. The 13-1 season is not a fluke. He built the team his way, in his vision, and created a culture the kids believed in and the community believes in. Trust me, I've lived in Kalamazoo for 25 years, and I am a WMU alum. He has done amazing things with the program in a very short time.
  • Fire 1

PJ Fleck

Overall

What the numbers don't tell you is he inherited a complete mess. Recruited a bunch of kids and played a ton of them in that 1-11 season as freshmen. Look where they ended up as seniors. The 13-1 season is not a fluke. He built the team his way, in his vision, and created a culture the kids believed in and the community believes in. Trust me, I've lived in Kalamazoo for 25 years, and I am a WMU alum. He has done amazing things with the program in a very short time.

The community loves him there, don't they?

PJ Fleck

Overall

The community loves him there, don't they?

They really do, he really embraced the community and got them totally involved in his culture. It has been a really cool thing to watch evolve.

I wish him the best. But, the dumpster fire he is walking into is way above and beyond the normal coaching change. He definitely has his work cut out for him.

It's not going to be easy to get the players to stop concentrating on the administration and instead concentrate on grades and playing football. Also, it's going to be hard recruiting better kids there if the ones there do nothing but trash the administration when they are on visits.

I wish him the best. But, the dumpster fire he is walking into is way above and beyond the normal coaching change. He definitely has his work cut out for him.

It's not going to be easy to get the players to stop concentrating on the administration and instead concentrate on grades and playing football. Also, it's going to be hard recruiting better kids there if the ones there do nothing but trash the administration when they are on visits.

I wish him well also. I do think he made a mistake taking that job. I really think he could have gotten a better job if he waited. But I guess strike while the iron is hot, right? There were rumors around here that some boosters were putting together a nice package (around 3 mil a year) to keep him here. Too bad there is only so much you can accomplish in the MAC and the powers that be will not allow a "major" program into the playoff picture, that's a different discussion though.

I wish him well also. I do think he made a mistake taking that job. I really think he could have gotten a better job if he waited. But I guess strike while the iron is hot, right?

He's getting $3.5M over the next 5 years at Minnesota. If he has a couple good seasons or even one great season, he would be on the short list for an even bigger job. If he fails miserably, he's still got his cash from this Minnesota job. In fact, I bet he gets even more leeway for success from Minnesota based on the fact this is the 3rd coach in less than 2 years.

I wish him well also. I do think he made a mistake taking that job. I really think he could have gotten a better job if he waited. But I guess strike while the iron is hot, right?
He's getting $3.5M over the next 5 years at Minnesota. If he has a couple good seasons or even one great season, he would be on the short list for an even bigger job. If he fails miserably, he's still got his cash from this Minnesota job. In fact, I bet he gets even more leeway for success from Minnesota based on the fact this is the 3rd coach in less than 2 years.

True (I was editing my post as you responded) he had a nice money deal going here too....

PJ Fleck

Overall

that's Riley's problem, he can't build depth as he and Banker won't rotate their players......you only improve and learn under game conditions.......at least give the second string kids some end of game time.

• Fire 1

PJ Fleck

Overall

that's Riley's problem, he can't build depth as he and Banker won't rotate their players......you only improve and learn under game conditions.......at least give the second string kids some end of game time.

One of my biggest problems with the way Riley's coaching staff approaches game and roster management is that they go with whatever they did at Oregon State. I know NU's depth hasn't been great the past few years, but Riley and his staff act like they can only focus on the 22 starters and maybe a few others.

Maybe Riley will improve the overall talent and depth of the entire roster through better recruiting, but the staff will need to change their approach on how they play and develop all of the players on the roster.

Good hire, little overpaid but they likely had to with what's going on there. He's a young hotshot who recruits relate to, I'm sure he will do fine as long as he can fix the culture there currently. His recruiting rankings are a little underwhelming because of having to take a lot of projects that G5 schools have to settle for. Guys who need two+ years of S&C before they can see the field but are monsters once they do.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, you guys have some good coaches and some real awesome recruiters, but I expect he will be looking to poach. January will be interesting.

PJ Fleck

Overall

One of my biggest problems with the way Riley's coaching staff approaches game and roster management is that they go with whatever they did at Oregon State. I know NU's depth hasn't been great the past few years, but Riley and his staff act like they can only focus on the 22 starters and maybe a few others.

Maybe Riley will improve the overall talent and depth of the entire roster through better recruiting, but the staff will need to change their approach on how they play and develop all of the players on the roster.

i think his methodology is suspect.