Banker is Fired!!

I normally don't feel sorry for coaches that are fired because they usually have a year or two left on a contract that pay big money, but if I read correctly, MR didn't say Banker was fired, he said his contract was not renewed. Did Banker get any notice? Two weeks pay perhaps. It would stink to be on the road and get a call that your paycheck stops when your plane lands.

I normally don't feel sorry for coaches that are fired because they usually have a year or two left on a contract that pay big money, but if I read correctly, MR didn't say Banker was fired, he said his contract was not renewed. Did Banker get any notice? Two weeks pay perhaps. It would stink to be on the road and get a call that your paycheck stops when your plane lands.

The dude makes over half a million a year. He's fine.

I missed 12 pages of discussion on Banker's firing while in the hospital and I really don't feel like "binge reading" 12 pages. sad11.gif

That said, I'm neither pleased or displeased by his hiring, but it was a HUGE surprise to learn Banker had been fired. I know Banker had some decent defenses at Oregon St and I figured we'd see some big improvements in defensive play in his 3rd and 4th years here. I was willing to give him the time to get all his pieces in place.

I'll freely admit to being pretty stoked when it comes to his replacement and I certainly can't say I was "stoked" when Banker was hired. So there's that. biggrin1.gif

If it was up to you we would maintain the status quo until hell froze over!
and you would go to hell to win another national championship!

Lol come on now

I missed 12 pages of discussion on Banker's firing while in the hospital and I really don't feel like "binge reading" 12 pages. sad11.gif

That said, I'm neither pleased or displeased by his hiring, but it was a HUGE surprise to learn Banker had been fired. I know Banker had some decent defenses at Oregon St and I figured we'd see some big improvements in defensive play in his 3rd and 4th years here. I was willing to give him the time to get all his pieces in place.

I'll freely admit to being pretty stoked when it comes to his replacement and I certainly can't say I was "stoked" when Banker was hired. So there's that. biggrin1.gif

If it was up to you we would maintain the status quo until hell froze over!

I have no idea how you get that out of my post. Whatever...

“As I reflected and looked back on it, then I frankly decided after I watched the film” Riley said. “I went through a whole process. You can imagine how hard that was for me with the relationship with Mark. A long time. I came to the conclusion that this change would be good.

“Some of the things we had kind of ear-marked as things that needed to be changed from a year ago, were the same things I saw we had issues with in the game. That isn’t all of it, but it put a little bit of an exclamation point on it.”

Bowl numbers that doomed Banker

STEVEN M. SIPPLE Lincoln Journal Star Jan 23, 2017 Updated Jan 23, 2017

<snip>

"Some of the things we had kind of earmarked as things that needed to be changed from a year ago were the same things I saw we had issues with in the game," Riley said. "That isn't all of it. But it put a little bit of an exclamation point on it, I guess."

What had Riley earmarked in the preseason? Well, two elements come to mind: Riley wanted the defense to reduce the number of big plays allowed, and create more turnovers.

Gotta say, I like the process of reviewing staff performance to improve the Huskers. :thumbs:

It seems only fair. Ultimately, it's the same way Riley is judged. I think we've had previous coaches who probably held onto certain assistants longer than necessary.

Of course, one can only fire assistants for so long before the crosshairs fall back on the head coach and then ultimately the AD. Banker would've been a necessary change in the name of self preservation.