Banker is Fired!!

I am not really sure we should nor need to know all the gory details of the Banker dismissal. I am confident that Riley did what he feels is best for the staff, players and program generally. He sure does not come off as someone who would terminate one of his long-time assistants without sufficient cause or justification. He felt change was warranted. There are many aspects to consider from personal relationships and working relationships to job performance and etc. Banker has always seemed dedicated and engaged in his job but the team certainly had to disappoint Riley the way it finished out the year. Giving up a couple hundred points down the stretch after starting out 7-0 had to be a gut buster for Riley. I am confident Riley came to Nebraska for one last big chance to win a championship that mattered in football. It wasn't possible at Oregon State realistically but in Nebraska, anything is possible. He only has so many years to get it done. He has to have all the best ideas, people and efforts from everyone to make it happen. Why wait. You have the right person who might 'fit' with what you need in the near term and could be great for Nebraska's future HC requirements 'post Riley'. When the right guy appeared Riley had to move forward quickly. He still wants to get the best recruiting class he's ever had in here THIS year. No more 'next year'

• Fire 1

I think the interesting thing is why Riley didn't have time to do it in person. It says this isn't something he's been planning all offseason. I don't know. Just odd.

I don't think in today's age it's all the shocking (termination over the phone). I don't think it was planned all season, but there may have been subtle hints that go back as far as the OSU days (the writing's on the wall sort of speak). One party did not live up to expectations. And things move quickly in this business.

• Fire 1

I don't want Claey's, but I'm really high on Jay Sawvell. Thought he took Minnesota's defense to a good place, his linebackers where solid and he had consistant high draft corners. I think it's really late in the game to be firing a coach so my money is on one of these 2.

Been hiding under a rock for the last few days or something?

• Fire 3

I missed 12 pages of discussion on Banker's firing while in the hospital and I really don't feel like "binge reading" 12 pages. sad11.gif

That said, I'm neither pleased or displeased by his hiring, but it was a HUGE surprise to learn Banker had been fired. I know Banker had some decent defenses at Oregon St and I figured we'd see some big improvements in defensive play in his 3rd and 4th years here. I was willing to give him the time to get all his pieces in place.

I'll freely admit to being pretty stoked when it comes to his replacement and I certainly can't say I was "stoked" when Banker was hired. So there's that. biggrin1.gif

• Fire 1

Another name I'd keep an eye on in addition to Claeys:

Bob Diaco.

Former UConn Head Coach. Former Notre Dame defensive coordinator and Broyles Award winner. Young, energetic. All Big Ten Linebacker at Iowa in his playing days and from NJ with major NJ recruiting ties.

nailed it ;)

Somebody save this so when he makes up a trophy game against Iowa Western we know who to blame for his hiring... ;)

I missed 12 pages of discussion on Banker's firing while in the hospital and I really don't feel like "binge reading" 12 pages. sad11.gif

That said, I'm neither pleased or displeased by his hiring, but it was a HUGE surprise to learn Banker had been fired. I know Banker had some decent defenses at Oregon St and I figured we'd see some big improvements in defensive play in his 3rd and 4th years here. I was willing to give him the time to get all his pieces in place.

I'll freely admit to being pretty stoked when it comes to his replacement and I certainly can't say I was "stoked" when Banker was hired. So there's that. biggrin1.gif

If it was up to you we would maintain the status quo until hell froze over!

• Fire 2