Banker is Fired!!

Geez, lots of "we should get this guy". Ya, it's a message board but geez, so glad we are not selecting a DC ... we are all over the board. No offense ... but some of this is almost humorous. Don't get me wrong ... it was a fun read.

I have no clue where the mind of Riley is on this ... but I will wait and see this narrowed down to 5-6 folks before I formulate some thoughts. Some of you guys form such "rock solid" beliefs so quickly. It's quite humorous.

How dare speculation run wild on a message board.

As I stated. Secondly, how dare Husker "guru's" show how stupid and truly uninformed they really are. :-)

TIL all message board posters that speculate on an open staff position are gurus.

FWIW Sharp and Benning this AM mentioned Diaco and DeRuyter

https://soundcloud.com/liquid-shane-o/jan-12-seg-8-a-nebraska-coaching-wrap

No to Diaco...the Notre Dame defenses were not that good when he was DC there, and he failed as a head coach. DeRuyter is a possibility

Diaco won the Broyles Award there and his second ranked scoring defense got them to the national championship game.

He was DC for Notre Dame 3 years and for Cincy for one year. When you look at those 4 years, he had one year with a top 10 defense...otherwise his defenses ranked 35th, 53rd, and 81st. When you add in his failure at UConn I would not give him any consideration.

@bnilhome ... it's a surprise to me. Gulp.

You were surprised that the top teams in college football pay top money for great assistants?

Being a tight arse doesn't get you anything of good quality. It's like buying Wal Mart protein and expecting good results.

Perfect metaphor! I wish I could +100 this. Getting protein from any store (including gnc) isn't very good. Plus we NEED to open up our checkbook to get a great dc.

Tim DeRuyter would mean the 3-4. Do we have the players for that? I think he would be a great hire.

Don't see a guy on the roster that would fit at NT....

Will Sutton is a nose tackle for the Bears and only 6ft, 290lbs. I might be more worried about the DEs. I guess I'm worried about the DEs regardless of the scheme.

Last week, I saw posts that Riley couldn't be fired because he had a contract. Well, Banker still had a year left on his contract, but he was fired. How am I supposed to comprehend this?

Apparently the story is Banker was not actually fired, his contract had run out and it was not renewed.

But the post to which you are referring was still ... uninformed.

Last week, I saw posts that Riley couldn't be fired because he had a contract. Well, Banker still had a year left on his contract, but he was fired. How am I supposed to comprehend this?

Apparently the story is Banker was not actually fired, his contract had run out and it was not renewed.

But the post to which you are referring was still ... uninformed.

Banker's original contract was through Jan. 31, 2017. I figured it was extended through 2018 after the 2015 season. I guess I was...uninformed, as well.

I just wanted to poke fun at those who said that a contract would stop a coach from being fired.

Probably not realistic but I'd throw a few million at Bud Foster and see what happens.

I've always liked the guy even as a potential HC here, but he's been at VT since 1987

If we are going to make a "splash hire", the only way it's going to happen is 1. Pay the man a lot of money and 2. name him DC/Co-HC. The lure of being the HC in waiting might be the only thing that makes a big name truly interested in coming here when they are getting paid comparable money elsewhere

I don't think the head coach in waiting every really works. Jimbo Fisher at FSU, is the only one that I can think that it worked out. Plus, that can backfire in recruiting, because the kids won't know who the real head coach is going to be, and when the head coach is actually going to step down.

Devaney -> Osborne

We have to figure out which Defensive coach...

Is willing to take a coaching job with a head coach who is himself on the hot seat.

Whoever takes the job might be here only one year.

Who would be interested in a job like that ?

Good question.

Aranda making 1.8 million with a bump to 1.9 and title of Associate Head Coach. Not 1.2, as has been posted a number of times in this thread.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_b3169aca-bc9f-11e6-9f10-f7e501010d35.html

Wilcox, who is probably leaving UW to become the head coach at Cal, is making 950K this year. Not the bargain some here think he is.

Not getting a top guy for less than a million.