Banker is Fired!!

Nebraska won't open up the checkbook and pay the new DC 1 million plus so let's just stop that. We have never done that and never will. It will be a DC from a smaller school with a good track record or a NFL assistant. This is a little piece of reality for you dreamers out there.

I'm not sold on Riley except for the fact he's a nice guy however he is proving that he may indeed have a set of brass balls.

We gave Tim Beck his first big boy offensive coordinator job and got his pay up close to a million - why would we not pay that much for someone established with high pedigree?

Beck was getting around $700,000. I expect the new DC to get about the same. I can't figure out why they don't do clauses to make the job make attractive for coordinators. $700,000 plus $200,000 for a top 10 defense. $100,000 for a conference championship etc etc. Riley has them if I'm not mistaken so why not do this for the DC and OC also? Maybe there written in the contract we know nothing about them. Be good motivation for coordinators to recruit studs also.

I think it's clear there isn't someone lined up right now to take the job as there is absolutely zero word on who it may even be.

Or they could be keeping it close to the vest for the time being. According to sock, there is someone lined up.

According to sock, Jim Tressel should be the head coach right now...

DeRuyter has a history of turning college football defenses around. Before his second arrival at Ohio in 2002, the Bobcats ranked 99th nationally; upon his departure to Nevada, the Bobcats ranked 22nd. At Nevada, the Wolfpack improved from 78th to 48th under his tutelage.[2]
As the defensive coordinator at Air Force from 2007 to 2009, DeRuyter replaced a bend-but-don't-break scheme with an aggressive 3–4 defense. In 2006, prior to his arrival, the Falcons ranked 78th in scoring defense and 78th in total defense. In 2009, the Falcons finished 10th in scoring defense and 11th in total defense. In the 2009 Armed Forces Bowl against Houston, the Falcons limited the nation's second-ranked passing offense to a season-low of 222 passing yards. They also recorded six interceptions.[3][4]
DeRuyter became Texas A&M's defensive coordinator in 2010. The Aggies ranked 104th in scoring defense in 2009, under a 4–3 defense. In 2010, under his 3–4 defense, they improved to 21st in scoring defense.

FWIW Sharp and Benning this AM mentioned Diaco and DeRuyter

https://soundcloud.com/liquid-shane-o/jan-12-seg-8-a-nebraska-coaching-wrap

No to Diaco...the Notre Dame defenses were not that good when he was DC there, and he failed as a head coach. DeRuyter is a possibility

Diaco won the Broyles Award there and his second ranked scoring defense got them to the national championship game.

I think it's clear there isn't someone lined up right now to take the job as there is absolutely zero word on who it may even be.

Perhaps, perhaps not. They would've compiled a list of candidates long before Banker's announcement and there's a chance they may have already done interviews. We've been hearing rumors for weeks that some more staff changes may be coming, and although they may not have officially told Banker until after the bowl game, I imagine they know who they want.

Plus, with the big recruiting push coming, it'd be wise to have that man in place sooner than later.