Banker is Fired!!

I've gotta say, I'm really surprised that Riley didn't do it in person....

Me too. This is oddly uncharacteristic of Riley as we know him. It feeds into the "what's going on?" narrative.

He was traveling and had to do it as soon as he could. If he were to wait to do it face to face then you risk not getting your guy. By then, he could have been hired by Arkansas.

Me too. This is oddly uncharacteristic of Riley as we know him. It feeds into the "what's going on?" narrative.

He was traveling and had to do it as soon as he could. If he were to wait to do it face to face then you risk not getting your guy. By then, he could have been hired by Arkansas.

You're really sticking your neck out there for Riley. I imagine it could of been done in person, if Riley wanted it done that way. Banker deserved that after 20 years.... I still think Riley is as good of a man as you'll see, but this move was....odd.

You're really sticking your neck out there for Riley. I imagine it could of been done in person, if Riley wanted it done that way. Banker deserved that after 20 years.... I still think Riley is as good of a man as you'll see, but this move was....odd.

Not sure why else it went down that way. If Riley had time to do it in person I'm sure he would have. It really amazes me...all people on here want to do is win, but it seems some may not want to see MR do what that may take. You are either the aggressor and get your guy, or you whiff and get plan B. If my job is on the line, I want the opportunity to get the guy I want. We've seen what happens when coaches settle for their friends, let's see what happens when one doesn't.

Not sure why else it went down that way. If Riley had time to do it in person I'm sure he would have. It really amazes me...all people on here want to do is win, but it seems some may not want to see MR do what that may take. You are either the aggressor and get your guy, or you whiff and get plan B. If my job is on the line, I want the opportunity to get the guy I want. We've seen what happens when coaches settle for their friends, let's see what happens when one doesn't.

To be clear, I don't take issue with the firing. Just maybe how it was done, especially considering that they were friends for 20 years.

• Fire 1

I think the interesting thing is why Riley didn't have time to do it in person. It says this isn't something he's been planning all offseason. I don't know. Just odd.

I agree...I was ready for Banker to go but disappointed to read how this went down. I have to think that Riley knew for a while he needed to make a change. Perhaps he was waiting to lock things up with Diaco as I think he was after Diaco the whole time given how quickly this went down, but he still should have found a way to make it more personal.

• Fire 1

On one hand, yes, absolutely sad that he had it happen that way, and uncharacteristic of Mike Riley. On the other hand, firing your friend, who's probably a millionaire, in a profession that has a nonstop revolving door, from a coordinator spot at an all time top 5 school in college football, is not quite as heavy a proposition as it would be in different circumstances.

I'm absolutely certain Mark Banker will move on, land on his feet, and enjoy himself. He knows what coaching is, and he knows how it goes. He's a good coach and he's going to be valuable to somebody, and I'm certainly appreciative of everything he's done here.

• Fire 3