What's Behind the Staff Changes

Mavric

who the f___ cares? it happened and the vindictive husker fans can celebrate another coach being fired. the greatest day of every season is the joy of another coach being fired around here.

This shows that you don't want nebraska to get better and you would rather complain about nebraska being mediocre. Banker isn't a good coordinator and can't recruit, even oregon state fans wanted him gone. But apparently you want the bad coaches to stay on board, who cares if nebraska doesn't get better just as long as all the bad coaches are still here!

• Fire 1

who the f___ cares? it happened and the vindictive husker fans can celebrate another coach being fired. the greatest day of every season is the joy of another coach being fired around here.

This shows that you don't want nebraska to get better and you would rather complain about nebraska being mediocre. Banker isn't a good coordinator and can't recruit, even oregon state fans wanted him gone. But apparently you want the bad coaches to stay on board, who cares if nebraska doesn't get better just as long as all the bad coaches are still here!

as long as we get to celebrate who cares?

When Riley came to NU, he made clear to his staff that standards were higher. The work would be harder and some of the old habits wouldn’t do. Read’s special teams regressed — that firing wasn’t a total shock. But Banker? His old war horse? The guy who had improved the defense dramatically in 2016, at least until the last two games? I can’t imagine what their final handshake must have been like.

The situation begs a litany of questions:

Did we get Riley wrong? Or has Nebraska changed him? My gut says it’s a little of both. Last fall, I ran into someone very high on Nebraska’s food chain. We were making small talk, discussing a failed coaching staff in another city when he said the worst thing a coach can do is hire friends rather than the best people for the job. I found it ironic at that moment. He knew that was exactly what Riley did, right?

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/mad-chatter-by-dismissing-mark-banker-and-bruce-read-mike/article_787896a8-d869-11e6-8872-f7fba9e02700.html

• Fire 2

I have a pretty strong feeling that Riley told his Oregon State crew what the deal would be. I'm guessing he told them, "This is basically a 'once-in-a-career' opportunity, but any one of us could be forced to go if we don't live up to the expectations in Lincoln."

You know how it works here. Regardless of who is or isn't celebrating, this is the drill.

• Fire 1

When Riley came to NU, he made clear to his staff that standards were higher. The work would be harder and some of the old habits wouldn’t do. Read’s special teams regressed — that firing wasn’t a total shock. But Banker? His old war horse? The guy who had improved the defense dramatically in 2016, at least until the last two games? I can’t imagine what their final handshake must have been like.

Did we get Riley wrong? Or has Nebraska changed him? My gut says it’s a little of both. Last fall, I ran into someone very high on Nebraska’s food chain. We were making small talk, discussing a failed coaching staff in another city when he said the worst thing a coach can do is hire friends rather than the best people for the job. I found it ironic at that moment. He knew that was exactly what Riley did, right?

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/mad-chatter-by-dismissing-mark-banker-and-bruce-read-mike/article_787896a8-d869-11e6-8872-f7fba9e02700.html

I would guess it's mostly Nebraska has changed him. Otherwise he wouldn't have brought along a guy who was having a terrible time putting together a competent defense for several years before that. Or they really didn't realize that it wasn't *just* a lack of talent at Oregon State but that would mean they finally figured that out here as well.

First, I am fairly excited to see a new DC. I have never been on board with Banker and Read needed to go, based on results or lack of.

To answer question: Shawn Eichorst is directly behind the staff changes. Eichorst future with Nebraska is based solely on the success of the football team. Whether for /against the coaching change, it was a hotly debated issue. When he brought in MR, many Nebraska fans and national media, were less than impressed.

If MR doesn't pan out, it will be completely on Eichorst and he is well aware that his job and legacy depends on this. He flat out said in interviews that our talent level needs to increase. Ironically, 3 of our least productive recruiters are gone. Eichorst is on the sideline and inside the player's box every game, more than any other A.D. I have ever seen (Maybe Pat Hayden). He acts like Jerry Jones used to with Dallas. I can't believe how much freedom he uses and abuses. He does it because he understands this is his legacy.

Now, MR is willing to listen and try, regardless of "Friendships". This is were the previous staff didn't respond. MR isn't too proud or egotistical to cut bait, admit a bad hire and try to rectify the situation. MR understands he has to win.

** All in all, I think the change is good, and regardless of who is behind those decisions, it is being done to win games and to save jobs. If this happens, we will all be happy !

Do you have some sort of inside info on this. I am sure SE was part of the process, but I doubt that he went to MR and said you have to fire Banker.

I have some inside info yes, but from people who associate with the athletic department and have with SE. He does things his way. Not saying it is bad...that is for everyone's own opinion.

I think he does have a big say. This is why Bo is no longer here. Bo wouldn't conform to some things SE wanted changed. MR is doing what he and his boss believe the program needs.

** There is no hiding the fact that SE takes a very active role, if people just watch and listen to his comments.

I would guess it's mostly Nebraska has changed him. Otherwise he wouldn't have brought along a guy who was having a terrible time putting together a competent defense for several years before that. Or they really didn't realize that it wasn't *just* a lack of talent at Oregon State but that would mean they finally figured that out here as well.

I think Riley could come to Nebraska and do things the same way at Oregon State and succeed. Then I think 2 things have happened: 1) He underestimated the amount of pressure and scrutiny he would receive from the Nebraska fans and media, and 2) He realized that at a place like Nebraska, he has an opportunity to win like he has never done before, so he's going to do what it takes to win, even if it means firing 2 of his closest friends in coaching

EDIT: I will add that Eichorst has probably been talking to Riley about how things need to change in order to appease the fans

EDIT #2: I hadn't read Dirk's article before I made my post, but Dirk pretty much says the same thing I just did. I am sure that means people will blast my post.

• Fire 2

First, I am fairly excited to see a new DC. I have never been on board with Banker and Read needed to go, based on results or lack of.

To answer question: Shawn Eichorst is directly behind the staff changes. Eichorst future with Nebraska is based solely on the success of the football team. Whether for /against the coaching change, it was a hotly debated issue. When he brought in MR, many Nebraska fans and national media, were less than impressed.

If MR doesn't pan out, it will be completely on Eichorst and he is well aware that his job and legacy depends on this. He flat out said in interviews that our talent level needs to increase. Ironically, 3 of our least productive recruiters are gone. Eichorst is on the sideline and inside the player's box every game, more than any other A.D. I have ever seen (Maybe Pat Hayden). He acts like Jerry Jones used to with Dallas. I can't believe how much freedom he uses and abuses. He does it because he understands this is his legacy.

Now, MR is willing to listen and try, regardless of "Friendships". This is were the previous staff didn't respond. MR isn't too proud or egotistical to cut bait, admit a bad hire and try to rectify the situation. MR understands he has to win.

** All in all, I think the change is good, and regardless of who is behind those decisions, it is being done to win games and to save jobs. If this happens, we will all be happy !

Do you have some sort of inside info on this. I am sure SE was part of the process, but I doubt that he went to MR and said you have to fire Banker.

I have some inside info yes, but from people who associate with the athletic department and have with SE. He does things his way. Not saying it is bad...that is for everyone's own opinion.

I think he does have a big say. This is why Bo is no longer here. Bo wouldn't conform to some things SE wanted changed. MR is doing what he and his boss believe the program needs.

** There is no hiding the fact that SE takes a very active role, if people just watch and listen to his comments.

I thought maybe I was being too much of a conspiracy theorist when Reed was fired. But Sipple directly asked Eichorst if he had a hand in firing Reed (don't remember exactly how it was worded). Eichorst's response was "That's not my role." Which is a great answer from a lawyer but definitely not a denial. My thinking at the time was "It might not be your role to fire him but you can sure indicate that's what you think should be done." Riley was obviously frustrated with Reed for a lot of the season but I don't think it's any stretch that Eichorst has been pushing Riley along.

I think we've possibly underestimated Riley's competitiveness. That's probably the part I'm most happy about this morning.

I'm happy that Mike wants the team to go all the way to the top.

Stop making me use all my +1s!

Yeah, I am impressed that Riley is willing to make these changes. But, firing the crappy coach is only half of the job. He needs to go out and hire a quality replacement.

• Fire 2