What's Behind the Staff Changes

Mavric

I dont think you fire someone this late in the game unless you are pretty sure that you have someone better to take their place. It doesnt make any sense to make the move now unless a candidate that you have had your eye on is now open for the position. Was Banker awful this year?? No, but he isnt a good recruiter and your defense got embarrassed in 3 games. I would almost put money on the fact that they talked to someone at the coaches convention and they are working on the details of the contract. If we dont have a person in mind and we are opening up a nation wide search without a guy in hand then this move makes no sense. We need a coach to close this class and we are in great need of a big finish this recruiting cycle. It would be hard to sell kids to play when they are not sure who the DC will be or exactly how they would fit in the scheme. Even if I was a DT I would still want to know what the new coordinator is going to do scheme wise and how that would fit me.

I would expect this to happen relatively quickly. As mentioned, you probably don't make a move 2 weeks after your last game and this close to signing day unless you have a great "lead" on someone. For recruiting purposes and the need for DE, DL I would think we will know by end of the weekend at latest. IMO

First, I am fairly excited to see a new DC. I have never been on board with Banker and Read needed to go, based on results or lack of.

To answer question: Shawn Eichorst is directly behind the staff changes. Eichorst future with Nebraska is based solely on the success of the football team. Whether for /against the coaching change, it was a hotly debated issue. When he brought in MR, many Nebraska fans and national media, were less than impressed.

If MR doesn't pan out, it will be completely on Eichorst and he is well aware that his job and legacy depends on this. He flat out said in interviews that our talent level needs to increase. Ironically, 3 of our least productive recruiters are gone. Eichorst is on the sideline and inside the player's box every game, more than any other A.D. I have ever seen (Maybe Pat Hayden). He acts like Jerry Jones used to with Dallas. I can't believe how much freedom he uses and abuses. He does it because he understands this is his legacy.

Now, MR is willing to listen and try, regardless of "Friendships". This is were the previous staff didn't respond. MR isn't too proud or egotistical to cut bait, admit a bad hire and try to rectify the situation. MR understands he has to win.

** All in all, I think the change is good, and regardless of who is behind those decisions, it is being done to win games and to save jobs. If this happens, we will all be happy !

Do you have some sort of inside info on this. I am sure SE was part of the process, but I doubt that he went to MR and said you have to fire Banker.

The timing of this is strange to me. If Riley was going to fire Banker I would think he would have done it right after the bowl game so he could have a guy in place for when the dead period ended. Now we have one less coach to recruit. It feels like something happened or this was forced by someone above Riley. I'm not against finding a new DC but the suddenness of this doesn't make me feel good about the situation.

At least now Scott Frost has a spot to come back to DONU!!! Am I right!?!?

Reports are there was a lot of chatter about coaching changes at the AFCA convention. Word is there is a lot of pressure to win in 2017 and the thinking is the coaches we had weren't going to get it done.

My take is the pressure to make changes - at least to some extent - is coming from Eichorst. But my guess would be it's Devaney in Riley's ear that put it over the top. Coming from the NFL, Devaney would know what kind of schemes are really built to work and what things only work at Oregon State. And he would also know that you can't just sit around and hope things get better. If the results aren't there, you make a change.

And if that's the case the move to get Davaney on staff may be paying off in a big way.

• Fire 2

I would expect this to happen relatively quickly. As mentioned, you probably don't make a move 2 weeks after your last game and this close to signing day unless you have a great "lead" on someone. For recruiting purposes and the need for DE, DL I would think we will know by end of the weekend at latest. IMO

The sock says we have our man.... for what its worth.

Reports are there was a lot of chatter about coaching changes at the AFCA convention. Word is there is a lot of pressure to win in 2017 and the thinking is the coaches we had weren't going to get it done.

My take is the pressure to make changes - at least to some extent - is coming from Eichorst. But my guess would be it's Devaney in Riley's ear that put it over the top. Coming from the NFL, Devaney would know what kind of schemes are really built to work and what things only work at Oregon State. And he would also know that you can't just sit around and hope things get better. If the results aren't there, you make a change.

And if that's the case the move to get Davaney on staff may be paying off in a big way.

The involvement of Devaney is what makes me think the new DC will have an NFL connection. Riley's last few hires have been out of left field, so it should be interesting where they go.

Obviously pure speculation - I think it's largely a combination of Devaney and Eichorst. I'm assuming Eichorst is telling Devaney, "We brought you in to make this program better - Make it better." Devaney might have had the connections coming in where he was able to say, "I've got a guy for the DC spot."

Complete speculation on my part. Classic internet stuff. :)

We needed more on the defensive side of the ball, both with recruiting and coaching. There was no real feeling that next season was going to be any better. Now there's a chance to have that.

A little confused on the bolded. Are you saying there was chatter at the convention there was lots of chatter from other coaches that Nebraska was going to make changes?

A little confused on the bolded. Are you saying there was chatter at the convention there was lots of chatter from other coaches that Nebraska was going to make changes?

I'm sure Eichorst and Riley had a lot of time to discuss things while they were at the AFCA convention. Plus, Riley probably was able to get recommendations on possible assistant coaches that he could hire. Those conventions are one big networking session and that's why there are so many hirings during this time.