Day Light Savings Time

15 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This sucks!

I give it less than ten years before most schools and businesses aren’t opening until after 9:00 because people aren’t liking the idea of starting their days in the dark.

Just go to standard time and leave it.   Even looking at this map it appears to be the best compromise if we had to pick one or the other.

:bang

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This sucks!

I give it less than ten years before most schools and businesses aren’t opening until after 9:00 because people aren’t liking the idea of starting their days in the dark.

Just go to standard time and leave it.   Even looking at this map it appears to be the best compromise if we had to pick one or the other.

:bang

Glad your in the minority. 

And, lots of people already go to work in the dark in the winter.  If that causes a problem for your job, adjust your winter hours. 

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, lots of people already go to work in the dark in the winter.  If that causes a problem for your job, adjust your winter hours. 

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Schools probably will.  That’s why I said it.  A lot of the over protective parents aren’t going to like the idea of kids walking in pitch black to school.

One of my kids already waits in the dark for about 1.5 months for the bus, so what's another 1.5 months if we go to permanent DST?

Also permanent standard time would mean it would be light here at 4am for about 2 months in the summer.  Talk about wasted daylight.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Do a lot of kids still walk to school?

Either to school or to bus stops, yes.  At least in my current area and my home town.  So I guess it’s fair to say my sample size is kinda small ;)

But I also teach in a room with no windows.  My bitterness comes from the idea of not seeing the sun until 3:45 for a chunk of the year…

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

One of my kids already waits in the dark for about 1.5 months for the bus, so what's another 1.5 months if we go to permanent DST?

Also permanent standard time would mean it would be light here at 4am for about 2 months in the summer.  Talk about wasted daylight.

Waiting 1.5 months for the bus? That’s a reeeeally slow bus. :P

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
44 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Schools probably will.  That’s why I said it.  A lot of the over protective parents aren’t going to like the idea of kids walking in pitch black to school.

In our community, I very rarely see a kid walking to school now.  And, even by changing clocks in the fall, the few that do, are already walking when it's dark or the sun barely up.

26 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Either to school or to bus stops, yes.  At least in my current area and my home town.  So I guess it’s fair to say my sample size is kinda small ;)

But I also teach in a room with no windows.  My bitterness comes from the idea of not seeing the sun until 3:45 for a chunk of the year…

Ah, thanks. My experience with grandkids and neighborhood kids is most everybody gets driven to school and dropped off.

And as Red Five points out, no one would be utilizing the sun in some summer months.

• Haha 1
33 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Congrats, you'll see the sun for one more hour in the evening after 3:45.

• Plus1 1

Our government is run by idiots.  In this case useful idiots, but still idiots.

Everyone Was Surprised By The Senate Passing Permanent Daylight Saving Time. Especially The Senators.

WASHINGTON — The Senate’s unanimous passage of a bill to make daylight saving time permanent stunned many Americans, not least of which the senators themselves.

In a twist the Founding Fathers likely did not anticipate, quirky Senate conventions and a decision by staff in Sen. Tom Cotton’s office may result in an overhaul in the nation’s time zones.

Reporters and politicos were caught off guard Tuesday afternoon when the Sunshine Protection Act sailed through the Senate without issue, with no senators speaking up to object to it passing by unanimous consent. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, serving as Senate chair overseeing the motion at the time, broke composure, burst into a grin, and whispered “yes!”

“I was surprised that someone didn’t object,” she told BuzzFeed News the next day, while noting that Arizona does not change their clocks “because we’re smart.”

Any single senator could have blocked the daylight saving bill from passing but many didn’t know it was even happening. Sen. Rick Scott, a permanent daylight saving time proponent who signed a similar bill into law when he was governor of Florida, said he would have gone to give a speech on the Senate floor if he had known. Asked to recreate his reaction to the news, Sen. Chris Coons issued a series of shocked stammers that is impossible to phonetically translate.

One Senate source with knowledge of the situation said Sen. Tom Cotton vehemently opposes making daylight saving time permanent.

“No comment,” Cotton told BuzzFeed News when asked if he opposed the bill.

The source said that Cotton would have objected to the unanimous consent request, but his staff never told him it was happening.

“No comment,” Cotton told BuzzFeed News when asked why he didn’t object to the bill.

More at the link

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1