No coaching changes for the 90th ranked offense?

Husker Q

Kudos Riley for some change. Most of us seem to be happy that Banker is gone but what about the coaches of the offense which ranked 90th in total O and 73rd in scoring O?

I guarantee you Nebraska does not have the 90th offensive talent in the country!

IMO Langsdorf and Cavanaugh really need to go but offense is Riley's baby and he won't change it.

Subjectively, I can't ever get excited about his dinky-dunk west coast scheme (and Langsdorf's love for screen and swing passes) which is the total opposite of the Husker Power identity I know and love.

You may want to follow another team for a couple years then. Or increase your alcohol consumption. A lot.

HAHA :funnyhahah , hence my profile pic! I'm guessing a poor year next year then hopefully we can get rid of Eichorst, Riley & co and get back towards being Nebraska.

Rooting for us to lose huh?

Nope, said "guessing" a poor year.

Yes, rooting for a new AD, scheme, and some coaches.

So you ARE rooting for failure, because the only way we get a new AD and coaches is if the football team is a huge failure next year.

That power run game offense you call our identity, is no longer our identity. Sorry to break it to you but that identity was probably going bye bye before Frank Solich got fired.

I blame the coaches for not using Tommy's strengths. He is a great option QB which totally went to waste and he's good at bullet passes with few reads. So, of course, they have him make a bunch of reads or throw touch passes. Biggest waste of talent I can remember at DONU.

What happens when his first read is covered, oh wise one?

He YOLO's.

Husker Q is nuts.

Considering we havent really run Rileys or Langsdorf's offense yet, id say give them some more time. We also didnt start a QB that could run their offense. I was also hearing rumors all year that several OL were redshirted that could have been starting. It seems like the offensive staff was saving all of its chips for the 2017 season, when they will have a QB that has the ability to run their offense.

I agree...this is the year the offense has to prove something. If we continue to see poor offensive line performances, Cav should go. If we see dumb play calling, DL should go.

I really do think we will see a lot of improvement on offense though. We are finished with Armstrong who was the 3rd worst QB in all of D1 regarding QB accuracy. You must have QBs that can make throws to keep drives going. I am frankly more concerned about the running game heading into next year than the passing game.

• Fire 1

Our OL has taken a step back in the last two years. This, in part, due to injury, poor recruiting at OT, player development. That third issue is squarely on Cav. I don't get to see practice, but there are some issues with fundamentals in game. Add the fact that he doesn't play more than his starting five (sans injuries), and I question the direction of the position.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I would like to see the position hire include someone that can help manage OL development.

After this cosmopolitan crimson tide Riley guy is gone (it wont be long) The only thing that Nebraska could do and hopefully will do to get back to greatness is go back to embracing uber physical football and explosive running. You see in the game of football there are going to be 11 guys in front of you trying to get in the way. (Or in the case of the current Riley running scheme 17 guys in the way). At some point you just have to accept and further, to EMBRACE the truth... that you are going to have to push them out of the way. And the better you do that, the better football team you will be.

• Fire 2

You can still have a run-centric and powerful offense out of different formations (like shotgun vs I). Auburn is a good example of that.

Bottom line, Nebraska should not have the 90th ranked offense no matter who is at QB.

Really??? Because if I'm a defense and I know the QB I'm playing against doesn't make good decisions and isn't a strong passer, I might favor the run heavily... Bottom line, Tommy could not throw like a QB should be able to, teams knew this and keyed their defensive schemes around it. And shouldn't have an offense ranked 90th no matter who we have at QB is the most idiotic thing I've read on these forums (congratulations on that). Could have put Drew Brown at QB and had a better offense than we had last year by your logic.

So you think Nebraska's talent is 90th in the country?

If the QB was sooooo bad, then why not use one of the other QB's? Plenty of true freshman QBs have done very well in college football lately. Do you think all of our QBs are 90th or worse in the country? Osborne won with Matt Turman for goodness sakes.

Do you think any defenses ever stacked against our run, ever? Or do so now against any rush heavy teams?

I blame the coaches for not using Tommy's strengths. He is a great option QB which totally went to waste and he's good at bullet passes with few reads. So, of course, they have him make a bunch of reads or throw touch passes. Biggest waste of talent I can remember at DONU.

What happens when his first read is covered, oh wise one?

Back off dude! This is our next OC when we fail this season!

You can still have a run-centric and powerful offense out of different formations (like shotgun vs I). Auburn is a good example of that.

Bottom line, Nebraska should not have the 90th ranked offense no matter who is at QB.

Really??? Because if I'm a defense and I know the QB I'm playing against doesn't make good decisions and isn't a strong passer, I might favor the run heavily... Bottom line, Tommy could not throw like a QB should be able to, teams knew this and keyed their defensive schemes around it. And shouldn't have an offense ranked 90th no matter who we have at QB is the most idiotic thing I've read on these forums (congratulations on that). Could have put Drew Brown at QB and had a better offense than we had last year by your logic.

So you think Nebraska's talent is 90th in the country?

If the QB was sooooo bad, then why not use one of the other QB's? Plenty of true freshman QBs have done very well in college football lately. Do you think all of our QBs are 90th or worse in the country? Osborne won with Matt Turman for goodness sakes.

Do you think any defenses ever stacked against our run, ever? Or do so now against any rush heavy teams?

*shivers in my boots*

The QB has something to do with it but also the offensive line is a major factor. You mention Auburn. I did a quick google on Auburn's offensive line. In 2016, they had 3 returning starters and according to some football analyst was projected to be the 8th best line in the country. Take a look at their quality depth and upper class experience. Mostly juniors and seniors. They have 17 OL on their roster. 3 walk ons and the rest are scholarship players (entered program on scholarship not walk on earning scholarship). Outside of the two deep list below and 3 walk ons they have 3 - 4* rs fr., a 4* true fr., a 4* jr. Nebraska isn't even close to the quality depth that Auburn has. I think the Nebraska OL is on track but it will take a two more years to have the quality upper class two deep. I don't ever want to study Auburn OL ever again. I think I need a few drinks.

Auburn projected 2 deep for 2016

Projected two deep: rivals ranking (stars/position/national) 247 natl comp.

Left Tackle

Austin Golson (6-foot-5, 314 pounds, junior) 4*/8/118 94

Darius James (6-foot-4, 320 pounds, junior) OR 4*/1/65 34

Robert Leff (6-foot-6, 299 pounds, senior) 3*/70/- 1047

Left Guard

Alex Kozan (6-foot-4, 310 pounds, senior) 4*/12/- 386

Marquel Harrell (6-foot-3, 318 pounds, redshirt-freshman) 4*/19/- 230

Center

Xavier Dampeer (6-foot-2, 310 pounds, senior) 3*/-/- 195

Austin Golson (6-foot-5, 314 pounds, junior) 4*/8/118 94

Right Guard

Braden Smith (6-foot-6, 300 pounds, junior) 3*/3/50 63