Billy Devaney and his job the past 45 days

What in the f#*k is going on here? What is the big deal? We brought Devaney in to advise and that's what he is doing? Getting rid of Banker wasn't a bad move, soooo....

I think some here are getting bogged down in the firing component of this whole situation. This discussion is more focused on culture than anything else and I for one think it's an interesting topic.

Back to the OP, I don't know if Devaney's alleged distance was intentional or not. I have a chain of command at my work and different subsets of people along that chain. I have my team and the boss we report to, my boss has a team of bosses akin to his level of pay/job title and so forth. Eventually, it all ends at the CEO and his close team of execs. I often don't mingle with the people in the group directly above myself (outside of my boss), but I still have occasional conversations with them. I think we can look at this in a similar way. Devaney probably didn't need to talk to all the staff except the one that really mattered - Riley.

We also all know SE has garnered a reputation of being exclusive, shadowy and at times non-communicative. Much of this impression was built by the former football staff and some of the things they said following their departures.

But, I personally can't read too much into this based on my comments about the chain of command. It's a pretty common format in the corporate world so I guess it may sometimes carry over to something like a college football team and athletic department.

It doesn't matter if it was Riley's 7 year old grand kid who told him he needed to fire Banker. Banker needed to be fired and Riley did. Banker should have never been in Lincoln to begin with.

This was the part I was surprised about, you would have thought it would have been the perfect time for Riley to start (almost) totally fresh and bring in a lot of new guys but I can also see why he would bring in people he was comfortable with.

Maybe he thought that a change of environment and 'better' athletes would have helped him? Coaching with a guy for as long as he did he probably was trying to give him a try...comfort level or whatever. I feel he made the right move and I applaud Riley for making the tough decision.

• Fire 1

The layers of management or chain of command at NU would be much more interesting if it were producing success.

Somewhat interesting to read Banker state that it is different here than OSU.

I think Riley should have stayed friends with Banker and they both should go together and coach somewhere in Div II where they belong.

Look there is no shame in a person finding their true calling.

Callahan belongs as a position or unit coach in the NFL. He's very good there.

Pelini's true calling is as a tough as nails D coordinator somewhere.

Banker would be best coaching D at Div III or NAIA.

Riley's skills show me he belongs at OC at Div II, III or NAIA. Nothing more. I see no special motivation, vision, personnel or game management which could make me believe otherwise.

Good assessment.

Pelini is and will be a odd ball fit anywhere he goes, untli he gets his masters in anger management....His behavior is a total distraction from what he wants to accomplish.

I don't get all the hate for Eichorst and now the questioning of Devaney's involvement and how these decisions get made. I've seen 3 fairly major changes instituted and they all were deserving and needed to happen. Bo fired. ST coach Read fired. Banker fired. And all of these were done fairly expeditiously with the exception of Pelini. Most of the ginger assassin hate seemed to pop up when Bo was let go. Seems pretty silly to let Bo's comments on the matter taint a person's impressions of the job Eichorst is doing. He needed to go and he's gone. Good. Near as I can tell, all theset guys are doing is trying to make Nebraska football better. I guess we can debate and question if they are making the right hires but there is no doubting that they are willing to make changes and are trying. IMO that is a huge improvement over what we've experienced in a long time. I applaud all or any of them that have a hand in trying to return the Huskers to championship football.

• Fire 5

I feel the brain trust of NU football is probably largely on the same page. That's what I find so shocking about these developments. Riley projects this super nice guy image, and it wouldn't have surprised me to see him also have this perspective of staying loyal to his friends and making sure everyone finds opportunities when they're let go.

I don't think that's not true, but he's also very clearly not just his assistants' buddies against meddlesome administrative forces.Riley is fully embracing the CEO mantle here. Yes, he'll feel bad about cutting coaches loose, but it's a professional environment and evaluations are happening every year to the next. Half of Riley's job is in the X's and O's trenches with the team and the assistants. But his other team -- Devaney, Eichorst, the football administration people -- is even more central to his role.

I know it's weird to not see the HC model his program as a separate layer in an adversarial relationship with the admin, but I think that's where we are, and it's cool. :P

• Fire 1

The layers of management or chain of command at NU would be much more interesting if it were producing success.

I think Riley should have stayed friends with Banker and they both should go together and coach somewhere in Div II where they belong.

Riley's skills show me he belongs at OC at Div II, III or NAIA. Nothing more. I see no special motivation, vision, personnel or game management which could make me believe otherwise.

This slam piece is as illogical as it is lazy. You didn't even bother to research or recall his two Grey Cups in the CFL.

Dvdccr's troll skills show me that he or she belongs trolling on a CFL, Oregon State, or Youngstown State board. Nothing more. I see no special motivation, vision, research or composition which could make me believe otherwise.

62-3 my friend. For a true Husker that hurts.

Forgive me if I care more about the Husker legacy than I do about your bro-crush and his Blue oyster Grey cup.

• Fire 1

This slam piece is as illogical as it is lazy. You didn't even bother to research or recall his two Grey Cups in the CFL.

Dvdccr's troll skills show me that he or she belongs trolling on a CFL, Oregon State, or Youngstown State board. Nothing more. I see no special motivation, vision, research or composition which could make me believe otherwise.

Neither of you is right or wrong. Past accomplishments are worth praising, but when it comes to coaches, they only matter so far as what you're able to do next.

Riley has yet to prove he can win anything of significance at the highest level of college athletics. I don't think there's anything wrong with admitting this truth.

• Fire 1

I don't get all the hate for Eichorst and now the questioning of Devaney's involvement and how these decisions get made. I've seen 3 fairly major changes instituted and they all were deserving and needed to happen. Bo fired. ST coach Read fired. Banker fired. And all of these were done fairly expeditiously with the exception of Pelini. Most of the ginger assassin hate seemed to pop up when Bo was let go. Seems pretty silly to let Bo's comments on the matter taint a person's impressions of the job Eichorst is doing. He needed to go and he's gone. Good. Near as I can tell, all theset guys are doing is trying to make Nebraska football better. I guess we can debate and question if they are making the right hires but there is no doubting that they are willing to make changes and are trying. IMO that is a huge improvement over what we've experienced in a long time. I applaud all or any of them that have a hand in trying to return the Huskers to championship football.

I am not angry, but When you hire a new coach there should not be a need to have this many assistants replaced so soon. It is disappointing that the correct coaches were not hired two years ago,

62-3 my friend. For a true Husker that hurts.

Forgive me if I care more about the Husker legacy than I do about your bro-crush and his Blue oyster Grey cup.

Actually friend, I think we actually share similar concerns. I just didn't feel your portrayal had any basis in reality. He's a .500+ D1 coach to this point. If I had to place a bet on it, I think we are looking for a new coach in a few years; however, he's never fired life long dead weight or had the budget he does now. I've giving this experiment 3-4 seasons before I curse his name to D2 and below.

I am not angry, but When you hire a new coach there should not be a need to have this many assistants replaced so soon. It is disappointing that the correct coaches were not hired two years ago,

That's a valid position to hold but I am just happy that finally poor on field results are being dealt with fairly timely. It's been a long time since that has been the case in Lincoln. Callahan and Pelini seemed to keep underperformers around forever and would act like nothing was wrong. I'm just relieved that there is finally some acknowledgement that those in charge expect more. I prefer to not get too caught up in what should have happened two years ago. That's water under the bridge and it's more important, to me anyway, that they are trying to get it right going forward.

That's a valid position to hold but I am just happy that finally poor on field results are being dealt with fairly timely. It's been a long time since that has been the case in Lincoln. Callahan and Pelini seemed to keep underperformers around forever and would act like nothing was wrong. I'm just relieved that there is finally some acknowledgement that those in charge expect more. I prefer to not get too caught up in what should have happened two years ago. That's water under the bridge and it's more important, to me anyway, that they are trying to get it right going forward.

I am a big believer in what you say here. What good does it do? Learn from mistakes, but dwelling on those instead of looking for answers in the future is a recipe for disaster. I don't understand those that can't separate the two.

• Fire 2

What in the f#*k is going on here? What is the big deal? We brought Devaney in to advise and that's what he is doing? Getting rid of Banker wasn't a bad move, soooo....

I think some here are getting bogged down in the firing component of this whole situation. This discussion is more focused on culture than anything else and I for one think it's an interesting topic.

Back to the OP, I don't know if Devaney's alleged distance was intentional or not. I have a chain of command at my work and different subsets of people along that chain. I have my team and the boss we report to, my boss has a team of bosses akin to his level of pay/job title and so forth. Eventually, it all ends at the CEO and his close team of execs. I often don't mingle with the people in the group directly above myself (outside of my boss), but I still have occasional conversations with them. I think we can look at this in a similar way. Devaney probably didn't need to talk to all the staff except the one that really mattered - Riley.

We also all know SE has garnered a reputation of being exclusive, shadowy and at times non-communicative. Much of this impression was built by the former football staff and some of the things they said following their departures.

But, I personally can't read too much into this based on my comments about the chain of command. It's a pretty common format in the corporate world so I guess it may sometimes carry over to something like a college football team and athletic department.

I agree with that.

The thing no one has really brought up is this "I don't know why he was in there. He's not a coach.."

Do chain of commands garner that much power if, indeed, they don't really affect the outcome of a goal? (Besides firing people if they don't perform)

I agree with that.

The thing no one has really brought up is this "I don't know why he was in there. He's not a coach.."

Do chain of commands garner that much power if, indeed, they don't really affect the outcome of a goal? (Besides firing people if they don't perform)

In my opinion, the thing to keep in mind is Devaney's NFL experience. My guess is Devaney plays a pretty integral role in ensuring the football team has the right coaches and resources in place to succeed. He reminds me of one of those powerful yet relatively unknown execs in the professional world... the ones we sometimes hear about when GM's or owners talk about 'all the people who played a key role in helping us win...'

It wouldn't surprise me if someone lower down on the totem pole felt disenfranchised by these types of people.

• 8 months later...
  On 1/16/2017 at 10:42 AM, dvdcrr said: