Trump Foreign Policy

I think this is being "glorified" by the media for the same reason that explosion episodes of Mythbusters are so popular. It's big and explodey and that's cool. There's no denying that.

There's no denying that kind of thing provides good optics, too. We should be wary of that, if this is being used today for limited military effectiveness and big gain. We also can't deny that Trump's optics the past two weeks have been pretty bad, and not uncoincidentally we've had two high-profile bombings in the past few days.

Ahhh, you beat me to my point.

I haven't followed this stuff much since I've been busy this week. Just breaking updates on my phone.

But Trump has had, for the most part, non-stop negative coverage from most media outlets since he took office. Some of that is because he treats the media with an adversarial, belligerent attitude and they reciprocate, and some of it is just truly atrocious governance that deserves to be excoriated.

But one of the few things he scored almost unanimously positive coverage on was striking Syria. If I have to hear the phrase, "__________ was the moment he became president" again, I'll throw up. That made the rounds with the Tomahawk strikes.

Now we're ramping up our bombing strategy. Coincidence? I think he probably defers to our military leadership in 95% of strategic decisions. But I also think he realizes he got good press for launching some missiles.

Interesting situation in Turkey tonight. They held a referendum on whether to grant broad, sweeping powers to Erdogan, who already erred on the autocratic side. Could be going full blown dictator over there. Doing some light reading about them right now, his government seems completely corrupt to me.

We're not particularly adversarial with Turkey, but our relations don't seem great. They blamed their recent coup on a priest that lives here and want him extradited. Obama's admin had asked them to show proof he was involved before acting. We shall see what Trump does. Turkey could be shaping up to be another foreign policy headache for them.

• Fire 1

Can someone please explain to me why the North Korea issues are "Coming to a head" all of a sudden right now?

Kim called Donald a name, and Donald took offense.

But really, Trump needs more distractions and a chance to show that he doesn't have small hands.

• Fire 5