The Right-Wing Disinformation Machine

36 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You do understand evil leaders have been interviewed by “journalists” for decades.  

Tucker Carlson knows that one mistep or difficult question and he's the next to mysteriously think he can fly out his hotel window. He's been on the Russian payroll since before Trump and in his desperation to remain relevant after getting sh1t canned has become even more brazen in flaunting it. If you want an actual interview dig up Barbara Walters. Even in her current state she would do a better job and still have twice the balls of Tucker in doing so. 

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Tucker Carlson knows that one mistep or difficult question and he's the next to mysteriously think he can fly out his hotel window. He's been on the Russian payroll since before Trump and in his desperation to remain relevant after getting sh1t canned has become even more brazen in flaunting it. If you want an actual interview dig up Barbara Walters. Even in her current state she would do a better job and still have twice the balls of Tucker in doing so. 

I’m certainly not saying Tucker is the appropriate person to do this interview.  I’m saying it’s funny that posters have a problem that Putin is being interviewed when people like him have been interviewed for decades.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m certainly not saying Tucker is the appropriate person to do this interview.  I’m saying it’s funny that posters have a problem that Putin is being interviewed when people like him have been interviewed for decades.  

A couple questions.

What about Tucker makes him not the appropriate person? Who would the right person be in this case?

I haven’t seen anyone here saying that Putin shouldn’t be interviewed by anybody. Rather the sentiment seems to be that the combination of Tucker and Putin won’t yield anything other than a message suitable for Tucker and propaganda favorable to Putin. That is not “journalism” imo. But I’m curious….what in all of your knowledge of Putin leads you to believe an interview by a western journalist (I hesitate to use that term for Tucker) is a good thing or has any value at all?

• Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

A couple questions.

What about Tucker makes him not the appropriate person? Who would the right person be in this case?

I haven’t seen anyone here saying that Putin shouldn’t be interviewed by anybody. Rather the sentiment seems to be that the combination of Tucker and Putin won’t yield anything other than a message suitable for Tucker and propaganda favorable to Putin. That is not “journalism” imo. But I’m curious….what in all of your knowledge of Putin leads you to believe an interview by a western journalist (I hesitate to use that term for Tucker) is a good thing or has any value at all?

tbf there have been several Putin interviews by "western journalists" 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

tbf there have been several Putin interviews by "western journalists" 

And what great insight did any of those interviews provide? Is there anybody here naive enough to believe Putin will say anything approaching the truth?

And I’ll be upfront, I’m appalled that we have people here defending Tucker as a journalist and Putin as somebody worth hearing from. It’s just crazy imo.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

And what great insight did any of those interviews provide? Is there anybody here naive enough to believe Putin will say anything approaching the truth?

And I’ll be upfront, I’m appalled that we have people here defending Tucker as a journalist and Putin as somebody worth hearing from. It’s just crazy imo.

Not defending anyone, just saying he's certainly not the first.

This is over six years old. Will see if there are others.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/sd-vladimir-putin-megyn-kelly-interviews-20170602-htmlstory.html

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

It’s my personal view, that half the country has an insane view that Republicans are in the tank for Putin so having someone like Tucker who is a journalist with right leaning views isn’t the right person.   So the Left will complain no matter what and who knows what the right will say.    Maybe a Chris Wallace? 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Russian propaganda often highlighted Tucker Carlson content on Fox. Carlson's positions (anti-NATO, anti-Biden, anti-Ukraine, pro-Trump, pro-Putin) could not have aligned more perfectly with Putin, and having the #1 U.S. pundit broadcasting them nightly was definitely a trophy for Putin, who enjoys stoking partisan chaos regardless. 

I don't believe there's been a significant journalist sit-down with Putin since the Ukraine invasion. Maybe I missed it. But these things are considered a coup for journalists and a PR opportunity for the interviewee, so everything is fairly predictable. I would be shocked if Tucker didn't come out with a couple "tough" questions to preempt claims he's being an exploitable lapdog, but they will be questions Putin already knows are coming, and nothing will emerge from the interview that displeases him. 

I also rolled my eyes when Sean Penn interviewed El Chapo. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

But I’m curious….what in all of your knowledge of Putin leads you to believe an interview by a western journalist (I hesitate to use that term for Tucker) is a good thing or has any value at all?

I don’t claim to have much knowledge at all of Putin.  I’m curious what gave you that opinion?  

I actually don’t think much at all will come of it that our military will find useful.   And just for the record because it seems you have the wrong impression, I don’t care if Putin is interviewed or not and I probably won’t even watch if he is.   I only pointed out other evil leaders have been interviewed throughout the decades. 

• TBH 2
21 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s my personal view, that half the country has an insane view that Republicans are in the tank for Putin so having someone like Tucker who is a journalist with right leaning views isn’t the right person.   So the Left will complain no matter what and who knows what the right will say.    Maybe a Chris Wallace? 

Interesting way to put it. Tucker is a journalist who has demonstrably pro-Putin views, who is being granted a coveted audience with Putin. Tucker's views are so well-aligned with good friend and demonstrably pro-Putin Donald Trump, that Tucker is reportedly on his VP list. Donald Trump is sweeping his way to the GOP nomination with little Republican resistance.

So the suggestion that Republicans have become a party of Putin apologists is pretty much the opposite of insane. 

ycxFrbS.png

• Plus1 2

For goodness sakes can we stop pretending like we have to treat Tucker Carlson like a legitimate journalist? None of the people TV personalities from Fox News are. They’re professional mouthpieces who get paid gobs and gobs of many to be the faces of the right-wing propaganda machine.

The framing for the purpose of the “interview” is idiotic and gives the game away. It’s a scripted stunt. You think a dictator like Putin sits down and gets challenged by real journalists with real questions? Hell, our leaders here in the free world barely do that. No way in hell Putin does. He disappears people who look at him wrong.

Tucker is there to serve his purpose and dance his little puppet dance.

Pretending otherwise is laughable.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 6
34 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I don’t claim to have much knowledge at all of Putin.  I’m curious what gave you that opinion?  

I actually don’t think much at all will come of it that our military will find useful.   And just for the record because it seems you have the wrong impression, I don’t care if Putin is interviewed or not and I probably won’t even watch if he is.   I only pointed out other evil leaders have been interviewed throughout the decades. 

I didn’t say you had a bunch of knowledge about Putin. But you do know who he is, what he has done, and you still seem to think it serves some purpose for him to be interviewed by someone from the US.

IDK about the R party being in the tank for Putin but Tucker is and a biggly portion of the most vocal MAGAs sure have been. Since when did being patriotic become giving Putin the benefit of the doubt, wearing a red trucker cap and flying a f#&% Biden flag? The party you support is by far the biggest problem in this country. Full stop.

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Not defending anyone, just saying he's certainly not the first.

This is over six years old. Will see if there are others.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/sd-vladimir-putin-megyn-kelly-interviews-20170602-htmlstory.html

Okay. Thanks for the info but I never claimed he hadn’t been interviewed. And as has been pointed out, I don’t believe any US journalists have interviewed him since his little foray into Ukraine and Tucker has a long proven history of pimping for him.

• Plus1 2