The Republican Utopia

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

How would you explain the even larger gap between Whites and Asians?

There is an extremely well documented history of brutal racism in America, and reams of statistical and anecdotal evidence confirming that it hasn't gone away. The suggestion that Black grievance might go away if you show that Asians make more money than whites smacks of wishful thinking, and that's kind of a weird wish. 

If you honestly want my guess, having not read your research: we've had a few generations of Asians immigrating to the U.S. with advanced degrees and middle-class families. If South Asians from India are classified as Asians, that's definitely going to skew your numbers. People from Japan, China, India, Vietnam, Korea and The Phillipines definitely don't like getting lumped together as they have very different histories and cultural experiences. But some have done well by creating and spending money in their own insular communities in America, sometimes with their own touch of racism. 

• Plus1 3

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There is an extremely well documented history of brutal racism in America, and reams of statistical and anecdotal evidence confirming that it hasn't gone away. The suggestion that Black grievance might go away if you show that Asians make more money than whites smacks of wishful thinking, and that's kind of a weird wish. 

It's rarely out of anyone's grasp to better their situations for themselves, and their families. There are a lot of good decisions to be made (or bad decisions corrected) before you get to blame strangers for your plight, especially in 2022. If you know any families of Asian descent, you'll know that they're usually low on excuses and high on accountability. Along with their food, it's one of my favorite traits of their culture.

2 hours ago, NM11046 said:

So single parents don't take interest or care about their kids?

That's a bold, broad, ignorant stroke you've painted with A.  

You must have conveniently missed the qualifier at the end of that sentence.   Or it’s possible you read it and still made that ignorant statement.  Who knows.  

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

No. I'm saying would YOU rather be black or white. Same Archy, same upbringing and profession, same vertical jump. But one day you wake up a Black man in Kansas. 

Think you'll notice anything different?

Tell you what, I have a black man across the street, a Mexican American one house over and a Mexican American two houses down.  I will ask them this question, if they would rather have a do over and be white,  along my new Vietnamese neighbor next door.  

Me, I’d rather just be the way I have always been.  it’s what I know, it’s what God intended me to be. 

Now, would I notice anything different if I grew up black in my hometown (not all of Kansas is the exact same, you may not know this).   I’m quite sure I would.  Being in the 10% minority would feel strange at times I would guess.  Just like if I was white and grew up in a 90% black neighborhood.   However, in my hometown, the black kids grew up just the same as the white kids.  Many of the families still live there after HS and graduating college.    That seems telling. 

• Plus1 2
44 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It's rarely out of anyone's grasp to better their situations for themselves, and their families. There are a lot of good decisions to be made (or bad decisions corrected) before you get to blame strangers for your plight, especially in 2022. If you know any families of Asian descent, you'll know that they're usually low on excuses and high on accountability. Along with their food, it's one of my favorite traits of their culture.

An example of this….My oldest boy is extremely smart in the math and sciences aspect of school.   Each spring from second through 5th grade he would attend a Saturday test for the School District to test out of the next grade level math course.   They would eventually get four years ahead on their math credits.  Of the room full of students doing this ( hundreds across the district and various grades) I would guess 70% were East Asian or kids whose parents came from India.   It was pushed very hard in those communities.  Maybe 20% were white and the rest Black or Hispanic.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

An example of this….My oldest boy is extremely smart in the math and sciences aspect of school.   Each spring from second through 5th grade he would attend a Saturday test for the School District to test out of the next grade level math course.   They would eventually get four years ahead on their math credits.  Of the room full of students doing this ( hundreds across the district and various grades) I would guess 70% were East Asian or kids whose parents came from India.   It was pushed very hard in those communities.  Maybe 20% were white and the rest Black or Hispanic.  

Get out of here with your anecdotal evidence! :D

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Encouraging people to take responsibility for themselves is one thing; using that to conveniently ignore or disproportionately care less about abuses/disadvantages/unfairness of systems, infrastructure and culture is another. I'm a huge fan of individual responsibility; I'm also a huge fan of diagnosing and fixing why two separate irresponsible people can have dramatically different life results, and why two separate responsible people can as well.

As far as asian cultures and their "model minority" success in America, that's a highly complex and multi-faceted topic. The successes are easy to graph and document, the costs of that success aren't as easy. Things like internalized shame and dishonor, as well as unimaginable burdens of pressure and stress of expectations placed upon young Asian people are as widespread as their high earnings and academic performance. Another thing to think about, although I don't know if there's much research on this, is that there's a "purifying" self-selection process at work in cultures who are only coming here voluntarily. Large portions of the black population in America has generational ancestry going back to hundreds of years of slave trade by force. Large portions of the hispanic population are driven by desperation for any available work and geographical proximity. Most of the asian people coming here and staying are the smartest and/or richest and/or most resourceful, which leads to a very understandable selection bias and high social performance.

There *is* a conversation to be had about healthy cultures producing healthy results, no matter what skin color or background somebody has. But it's a very difficult conversation to have in good faith because it's nearly always lacking in nuance and the right questions and too often is full of unnecessary blame.

• Plus1 4
6 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Encouraging people to take responsibility for themselves is one thing; using that to conveniently ignore or disproportionately care less about abuses/disadvantages/unfairness of systems, infrastructure and culture is another. I'm a huge fan of individual responsibility; I'm also a huge fan of diagnosing and fixing why two separate irresponsible people can have dramatically different life results, and why two separate responsible people can as well.

As far as asian cultures and their "model minority" success in America, that's a highly complex and multi-faceted topic. The successes are easy to graph and document, the costs of that success aren't as easy. Things like internalized shame and dishonor, as well as unimaginable burdens of pressure and stress of expectations placed upon young Asian people are as widespread as their high earnings and academic performance. Another thing to think about, although I don't know if there's much research on this, is that there's a "purifying" self-selection process at work in cultures who are only coming here voluntarily. Large portions of the black population in America has generational ancestry going back to hundreds of years of slave trade by force. Large portions of the hispanic population are driven by desperation for any available work and geographical proximity. Most of the asian people coming here and staying are the smartest and/or richest and/or most resourceful, which leads to a very understandable selection bias and high social performance.

There *is* a conversation to be had about healthy cultures producing healthy results, no matter what skin color or background somebody has. But it's a very difficult conversation to have in good faith because it's nearly always lacking in nuance and the right questions and too often is full of unnecessary blame.

Great post. 

Maybe I'm missing it, but the conversation of the benefits of a healthy culture, and how counterproductive/harmful black American culture can be, doesn't seem to be had all that often. If there is an attempt to have that conversation, it is often met with, including on here, accusations of being racist and a whole lot of virtue signaling. I happen to think culture, and individual decisions play a much bigger role in determining success than anecdotal evidence of racism, or whatever bit of institutional racism that might be left over in small pockets of this country. Wouldn't it be more productive to focus on the things that can be fixed with individual effort, rather than becoming fixated on the occasional white guy who doesn't want to give you a job?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Weren't we promised this wasn't going to happen, and weren't we told it was overreach for the DOJ to get involved in school board threats?

Page County woman charged after comments made at school board meeting

The Luray Police Department charged a woman who made a perceived threat at Thursday night’s Page County School Board meeting.

According to police, Amelia King, 42, was charged with a violation of the Code of Virginia 18.2-60 Oral Threat While on School Property.

The Page County School Board met Thursday night to vote in favor of Governor Glenn Youngkin’s executive order, making masks a choice for students.

During the public comment period, King said, “No mask mandates. My child, my children will not come to school on Monday with a mask on. Alright? That’s not happening. And I will bring every single gun loaded and ready.”

The school board cut her off for exceeding her three minutes and she responded with “I’ll see you all on Monday.”

King later sent an apology to the school board that was read aloud at the end of Thursday night’s meeting.

Local law enforcement stepped up its presence at schools within the county on Friday.

In a statement on Thursday before King was charged, Page County superintendent Dr. Antonia Fox said in part, “Not only comments such as these go against everything we wish to model for our students, they go against the very nature of how as a community should interact with each other. Violence and threats are never acceptable and appropriate.”

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Weren't we promised this wasn't going to happen, and weren't we told it was overreach for the DOJ to get involved in school board threats?

Page County woman charged after comments made at school board meeting

The Luray Police Department charged a woman who made a perceived threat at Thursday night’s Page County School Board meeting.

According to police, Amelia King, 42, was charged with a violation of the Code of Virginia 18.2-60 Oral Threat While on School Property.

The Page County School Board met Thursday night to vote in favor of Governor Glenn Youngkin’s executive order, making masks a choice for students.

During the public comment period, King said, “No mask mandates. My child, my children will not come to school on Monday with a mask on. Alright? That’s not happening. And I will bring every single gun loaded and ready.”

The school board cut her off for exceeding her three minutes and she responded with “I’ll see you all on Monday.”

King later sent an apology to the school board that was read aloud at the end of Thursday night’s meeting.

Local law enforcement stepped up its presence at schools within the county on Friday.

In a statement on Thursday before King was charged, Page County superintendent Dr. Antonia Fox said in part, “Not only comments such as these go against everything we wish to model for our students, they go against the very nature of how as a community should interact with each other. Violence and threats are never acceptable and appropriate.”

i wonder if she listens to bannon?  he was encouraging action against local school boards.   

Is the argument really that Blacks must no longer fight institutional racism in America, only have themselves to blame for any disparities or single parent households, and just need to replicate the culture of those harder working Asians? 

And is there no massive longitudinal study that can convince you otherwise? 

• Plus1 2
21 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I can’t stress this enough, but it always comes down to race with you and your ilk.   Once you can get past the race card, your life will undoubtably be much better.   Just judge people for people. It’s enlightening.  

In fairness to me and my ilk, several posters here have dismantled your arguments on any number of subjects without invoking race.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1